Tiananmen Square Anniversary

I didn’t see anything much in my small homeland’s media.
BBC did a fairly good report though, also CBS and AP. I think the 30th anniversary definitely brought an uptick in interest.

Personally I’ve seen quite a lot of footage that I was not aware of before. Possibly my Chinese is much better now so I can understand what they are saying and it also makes it more real to me.

75th of D-Day anyone?

Less problematic, unless you hate America.

Look how young some of them are. Probably only 17. These men resisted. And it’s chilling to know most of these men in the picture died that day once the gates opened. I’m glad my generation never had to do this, but sad they think hashtags on social media is resistance.

3 Likes

The video I rewatch every June 4.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Particularly relevant:

When asked by Playboy writer Glenn Plaskin if he meant a “firm hand as in China”, Mr Trump said the Chinese government almost blew it when students poured into Tiananmen Square.

“Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength,” he said.

“That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak… as being spit on by the rest of the world.”

1 Like

So many ways to talk about this day.

2⁶ 4³ 8² 1000000₂ 2101₃ 1000₄ 224₅ 144₆ 100₈ 54₁₂ 40₁₆ ΞΔ´ LXIV 〦〸〤 ⚅⚃

1 Like

Forgot that was solely an American operation.

1 Like

I was this days old when I saw the pictures of the people that were run over by the tanks in Tiananmen. The explicit ones. The ones where you can barely distinguish there was a human being from the mangled remains and bloody spot tangled with bikes and clothes. The ones where a guy has lost his legs but what remains look like if they were put through a shredder. So you had soldiers with automatic weapons shooting to kill the ones who escaped from the tanks.

And the CCP insists it was necessary. And too many people parrot that line.

1 Like

Japan has chosen this date to send AZ vaccine :kissing_heart:

Chinese suppression:

4 Likes

I have called my MP about this and other incidents of Chinese government censorship outside its borders.

I suggest all of you call your MP or representatives as well.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Any foils who think China will treat Taiwan well are misguided at best and dangerous at worst.

(BTW I have a friend who blames DPP for not importing Chinese vaccines…Inevitably many of these simplistic views coincide with folks who benefit from Chinese connections such as in bound mass tourism).

It may be true that China is a rising power but to believe that Taiwanese will gain more than they will lose as part of their empire…Extremely naive and short-sighted. Taiwan was taken over by an occupying Chinese force before and thousands died when they wanted some local autonomy and a democratic government .

2 Likes

Finally something we agree on?

4 Likes

Anyone who cares about any of this human rights business. As a bare minimum, its logical not to financially support such murderous and opressive regimes. Buying made in China only strengthens their ability to spill blood. Literally.

“i have no choice” has long been a poor excuse. And frankly it isnt any form of excuse anymore. If you person cant handle their own household without paying the next nazis, there is little to be said. I hope we, the people (especially in taiwan) can grasp this reality and do the bare minimum of effort in this regard. It isnt hard. But will always get harder if we keep enabling the enemy. Its a bad habit. Just quit. It affects you and your family as well.

Not a reply to any one person, but to anyone too lazy to try and find alternatives. What better time than a massacre celebration to point out our own flaws and try to fix them. More important than a news resolution i think. Or at least, it sure should be!

1 Like

Taiwan’s exports to China are 24% of the island’s total; imports 20%. No way anyone living here can detach themselves from China through voluntary action. Even if you are careful about what you buy, simply by taking part in Taiwan’s economy you are taking part in China’s. You can call on the government to detach itself (good luck with that) but other than that if you’re living here you’re involved.

Just a few of my old pics taken in '89…last one is in HK…
ScreenHunter 158
ScreenHunter 159
ScreenHunter 160

10 Likes

I am saying people need to stand up, instead of just being lazy and expecting someone else to do it (eg. The government). Re read my post. I am saying, as an absolute bare minimum, every single person here can make these choices with nearly everything they buy. And its easy as well as effective, if on scale. I realize many will justify themselves and say “well ya know…” enter whichever excuse you wish. Doesnt take away from the fact that if consumers want something, the suppliers supply it. This is normal practice. The issue is people dont give a shit and make excuses justifying supporting places that commit genocide. Mcdonalds starded making salad for fuck sakes, because the people wanted it…everything is the same, regardless of peoples denial of responsibility.

Whatever percentage you want to through means little, because its only proving my point that people care about a cheaper product more than trying look around or buy 2nd hand or quality as to avoid paying the literal enemy.

Decades ago it wasnt whatever percent it is now that fixes us into chinas oppressive grip. Pre president ma it was less than now as well. You know, if you keep avoiding shit, the pulling of the band aid doesnt feel any better when eventually you realize you can take it anymore. And when you find yourself waking up to a world with truly no hope, dont expect tears of sympathy. We all an influence change now. Every single person.

What astonishes me is that whatever they are doing that makes us so complacent and dumbed down seems to be working. Im not speaking about witchcraft here. This is very basic economics and and how certain politics are oppressing others. It is observable and constant.

It bothers me that people actully try to defend oppression and give the usualy lazy answers of we cant do shit.

So here we are. You can do shit. You may, however, choose not to do shit. Thats on every individual, but we best not dare say its impossible because that plays right into the CCPs hand with their constant bombardment of propaganda an dumbing down of people.

Not good. Not good at all try harder. I dont want to hear people in 20 years talking about how they wish they did things differently…do them differently now! How entitled are we? How naive? I doubt very much most of the people here in taiwan dont see it, rhey just feel hopeless and ironically just say fuck it and promote it. Stop waiting for knee jerked too latedness haha. Its easyto do now. I do it. Many i know do it. There is very little excuses, usually just impatience or sellfishness. If a person reading this is homeless and hungry, you get a pass. But you likely arent reading this if you dont have money for food. Mos of us arent hungry enough not to have choices in at least our purchases. As absolute bare minimum. We should actually be doing far more and geting.involved. but thats asking too much from the precious folks.

Anyone that may take this as condescending, youre likely part of the problem these are very observable facts anyone can see at anytime on anyday in most countries. Dont hate on me cause i dont enable people that ignore reality.

End of rant. Not aimed at you @MikeN1 just aimed at assholes too sellfiah to help their own society improve with so little effort.

1 Like

I just look from place of manufacture and avoid made in China. It’s small and maybe pointless but for me you have to start somewhere and that was the place I started.

1 Like