Tianxiang accommodation (Taroko Gorge)

[Last edited Sep 13]

A few items gathered together for an updated listing of Tianxiang accommodation (to make searching easier):

1. Backpackers and other minimum budget travelers:
  • Catholic Hostel
  • Youth Activity Center (Youth Core Hostel)

It would seem that the accommodation for NT$400 a night would have to be a kind of dormitory (large shared room), since rooms for 2, 4, and families cost much more, according to their homepage:
tienhsiang.cyh.org.tw/eng/index.php

• Presbyterian Church Hostel 03-869-1203
  1. others:
  • Grand Formosa Regent Hotel

Also in the wider area:

• Leader Village Hotel (Buluowan) 03-861-0111

Anything worth mentioning in this context - a correction or addition?

(For reference, the name 天祥, on the local signs and in the quoted message shown as “Tie[color=#000040]n[/color]hsiang”, had been mentioned somewhere else with the spelling “Tian[color=#000040]s[/color]iang” or “Tiensiang”. In Hanyu Pinyin 天祥 is “Tiān​xiáng” (“Tian1xiang2”), and therefore the Anglicised spelling “Tianxiang” can also be found in some places.)

The Tianxiang Catholic Church has accomodation. This is the ‘Catholic Hostel’ It’s a great place to stay.

Right next door is the Tianxiang Presbyterian Church. 基督長老教會天祥教會03-8691203. I think you can stay there.

I’ve stayed a few times at the Catholic Hostel as half of a couple. No problems. I MUCH prefer the Regent these days, though. OR that Leader place further down.

[quote=“Feiren”]The Tianxiang Catholic Church has accomodation. This is the ‘Catholic Hostel’ It’s a great place to stay.
Right next door is the Tianxiang Presbyterian Church. 基督長老教會天祥教會03-8691203. I think you can stay there.[/quote]
Thanks… will add this to the list at the top…

Thanks, as well… good to know. :wink:

Do you have any details on those…?

The regent is called Silks Place. The Leader is a collection of nice cabins in Bulowan Village.

So is the name “Grand Forumosa Regent” gone then?

Bring your tent and camp at Heliu (or the other) campground. My preference.

Can you tell us where the campgrounds are located? Meaning, how do you get to them from, say, the main road that goes through Tianxiang (Highway 8)?

Can you tell us where the campgrounds are located? Meaning, how do you get to them from, say, the main road that goes through Tianxiang (Highway 8)?[/quote]

The two campsites (Heliou and LyuShuei) are located on the only road in Taroko Gorge approximately 3 and 5 kms before Tianxiang. And they’re mentioned in every guidebook and the taroko park site. It does cost 200NT to camp now (incorrect in the '07 Rough Guide). cold showers.

Thanks for this information!

In September we went in a small group and stayed at the Catholic Hostel.
That is, indeed, a very nice place, and its only drawback is that it is right above the large hotel, meaning you can always hear the hissing sound of the hotel’s air conditioning system (not a big problem) and the voices and music from events taking place on the hotel roof (they have parties and stage performances there at times). For comparison i will try out one of the other hostels next time. :slight_smile: