Tiffany girl "boobs", theft, scams,the wild side of Thailand

I’m not sure where to put my travel experience, so I put it here.

Point one:

My experience was that one can’t be soft in Thailand. The locals are often aggressively hungrier than hell to do a business transaction with you. Be very careful. Keep your wits about you. Carry very little money. Be skeptical. If there’s a question, there is no question. If something happens fast, or seems strange, back up, think.

Point two:

Be very wary of Tiffany girls or Lady boys. I don’t care if some guy wants to be flaming gay, but some of them look like actual girls, and others are totally whacko.

They take hormones, grow “boobs” (which are extremely fleshy and unpleasant feeling), their voices seem to be higher, they stop growing facial hair, they wear perfume, make up, sexy clothes, have long hair, and adopt feminine body postures and mannerisms.

If you’re a homophobe you’ll dislike seeing some sexy looking person only to have them tell you that they’re a lady boy. The first one who walked up to me, fooled me. I thought “he” was clearly attractive, then he said he was a lady boy and I couldn’t believe it. I’m glad I’m not a homophobe, that would have messed with me.

My tour group went to a Tiffany Girl show: (Golden Dome Cabaret Show,252/5 Sol Yoocharern Rachadapisek Rd. Huaykwang Bangkok 10310 goldendomeshow.com)

From a distance, they looked like girls. Up close it was pretty clear they weren’t. One looked like a character from a tv show, so I thought I’d get my picture taken with “him/her”. He said, “her too”, and I said, “NO. Only one.” I was super clear, said it several times. I got my picture taken, and another one posed in the picture. I handed the one 100 baht, and the other one said “Me too!” I said, “No!” Finally I said, “OK, 20 baht or nothing.” Then the one I paid actually pushed me. Hard.

I don’t care if the tiffany girls are low paid and have to push hard for money (if that’s even the case), or if they’re just whacko. It was bad energy, and everyone I’ve talked to has had similar experiences with them. Saying it’s 40 baht for a picture, 100 to feel their “boobs”, agreeing to pay 40, then they grab your hand and put it on their “boob” then demanding 100 baht instead of 40, things like that.

Point 2.2:

Another tiffany girl stole around 6,000 NT from me (No, there was nothing sexual in any way, it’s complicated.)

My intention for writing this is to try to inform people of some of the scams you might encounter in Thailand or elsewhere, and to Blog it out.

Some Scams I’ve seen, learned of, and heard of, in Thailand and elsewhere

Be wary of places where you take your picture, people might come out of the woodwork and demand money.

Don’t feed birds, or take anything from anyone. Don’t let them put stuff in your hands, they’ll demand money.

Be careful of places where a bunch of scrumptious women are all sitting behind a huge pane of glass. It’s often 1600 baht for a 1.5 hour massage. But the women will make you so raging horny, you’ll want to pay more for sex. If you don’t pay more, they might be offended. (Some might say, what’s the problem here? he he he)

Don’t fall for “You won a prize” promotional krap. Obviously.

Be wary of people demanding money to use public toilets.

Don’t let a young looking girl into your hotel room. A cop or thug might rain hell on your parade no matter if you did something wrong or not.

Two girls (who looked about 14 or 15) tried to hook me.

Don’t get into a taxi where the meter isn’t working, don’t let the driver “forget” to turn it on. Try to avoid taxi’s, sometimes (in the Philippines for example), they take you halfway to point B, then demand double the money to take you out of the scarier than hell place you’re in.

Try to stay with a group of people. Thailand is a whole other world, totally different “rules” apply. While there I read a bunch of fu#$in scary stories in the newspaper, and saw some sobering books about the prisons there.

When you hear, “Where are you from?” for the 1,000th time, maybe don’t even respond, unless you want to pay for sex, or you want to buy something, or you want to try to pry yourself away from someone for 5 minutes.

Thailand is a whole other reality and world. Wild as hell (especially Pattaya Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya.) An experience like no other. Unbelievable potential either way.

I was exceptionally lucky to have gone to Thailand, it was great.

Again, my goal for writing this is to forewarn other people who might be as dull witted as I am.

If you’re thinking of insulting me, or what I’ve written in some way, there are many, many tall buildings you can jump off of. I’m not interested in arguing or receiving negative energy.

Other than that,

Let Freedom Ring! Hell yeah! and Fu#*in A!

Thanks for the update on the scams.

[quote]If you’re thinking of insulting me, or what I’ve written in some way, there are many, many tall buildings you can jump off of. I’m not interested in arguing or receiving negative energy.

Other than that,

Let Freedom Ring! Hell yeah! and Fu#*in A![/quote]

Nice personal touch.

These are all reasons why the majority of Taiwanese tourists go on tour groups. Naivity. Well I’m sure you learn’t a few lessons LV and you’ll look back on the whole experience and laugh one day.

Was that the Dr. Evil “Happy Endings in Thailand Tour”?

I’m quietly confident our man of evil’s tour would indeed have a very happy ending and be free of the sorts of annoyances endured by the OP. They are after all, just so damned easy to avoid.

One very simple solution is to avoid Pattaya, ladyboys and the sleaze zones. I’m a very frequent traveller to Thailand and I have never endured a scam.

By the way, Pattaya is almost exclusively run by foreign gangsters. Read the Pattaya mail for the list of daily foreigners leaping off tall buildings reports - that’s an Asian suicide option, almost never a western way to top yourself. Still, the local cops buy it every time, erh, for a small fee.

It really is a pity that for so many visitors all they see is Thailands putrid arseholes. There is just so much more to that country than fucked up katoeys, whores and scammers.

HG

Wow…deja vu posting…

Yes indeed. The western way is to rent a motorbike in flip-flops & shorts.

I was enjoying a stay in Koh Samui until I went into a small fair ground with booths and food stalls. I then saw a display by the local police. It was like a rotten.com, liveleak, completely uncensored bonanza of 50 ways foreigners die in Thailand.

• car wrecks
  • motorbike wrecks
  • stabbings
  • beatings (yuck)
  • hangings (that seemed popular)
  • drug overdose (also yuck)
  • drownings

My wife and I kind of wobbled away a bit taken aback at this unexpected display of the dark underside of supposed tourist heaven.

Then we went to Bangkok…

Elegua -
Sort of an interesting change in topic. I seem to remember reading stories about the proclivity of disgruntled expats to seek ‘exotic’ places and beautiful surroundings to make their final exit. Although I think these were stories of intended departures.
Not the cases of death by stupidity mentioned here.

“A bottle of good scotch, the glow of a tropical sunset and a .38 on the table…he decided not to see the troubles tomorrow would bring.”

I was in Koh Samui last week, and according to the local rag, 30 foreigners died in road accidents in February this year alone.

I had the misfortune to be admitting my father to the Bandon International Hospital in Koh Samui, a few years back and as I waited in the emergency unit for all the paper work and so on, I happened upon the death register. It was all in English and recorded the names, nationalities dates and deaths for people dead on arrival at that one little hospital. Quite a staggering read. Thais mostly drowned while foreigners took the shorts, flip flops and bandana helmet meets pavement/gravel truck option.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Elegua -Sort of an interesting change in topic. I seem to remember reading stories about the proclivity of disgruntled expats to seek ‘exotic’ places and beautiful surroundings to make their final exit. Although I think these were stories of intended departures.
Not the cases of death by stupidity mentioned here.[/quote]

That’s true too. But the thing is the chaps “leaping” off Pattaya condos have invariably recently opened a little bar with their Thai bar girl of their dreams who just so happens to be the major benefactor when he is no more. It is incredibly common.

Oooh! I like that.

HG

I just can’t stand the bloody “survey” takers. I got suckered by them once. Luckily all I lost was about 5 minutes of my time talking to a cute girl. I wasn’t dumb enough to give them my real hotel name or room number.
I love the bit about the attractive massage girls sitting behind a pane of glass trying to scam you out of more than the usual 1600B for a regular massage.
Or the bit about the underage girls in the room scam. Sounds like our young adventurer had one hell of a trip. So much for the security of going with a guided tour group.

Yes I wondered about that too, I mean the usual rate for a REAL Thai massage is around Bt400. Do you suppose these lasses are the top graduates from Wat Pho? And as for luring you into a state of desire, well at Bt1,600 you’ve already damned well paid for the full service! Or so I’ve heard. :laughing:

HG

are there 2 countries called thailand?

ive been there around 30 times…never had no problem nowhere…

got into a taxi last time I was there at 2 am in the morning happened to have 2 very nice cambodian girls already inside…we had cakes and ale back in my hotel and a very nice time was had by all…

thailand, gotta love it!

EDIT: actually i completely forgot; my very first trip (1989) i did get scammed by the gem scam…lost USD100 (i was very very green back then)…lesson very well learnt…now i have an early warning system for any scam merchants…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I’m quietly confident our man of evil’s tour would indeed have a very happy ending and be free of the sorts of annoyances endured by the OP. They are after all, just so damned easy to avoid.

One very simple solution is to avoid Pattaya, ladyboys and the sleaze zones. I’m a very frequent traveller to Thailand and I have never endured a scam.[/quote]

Exactly what HGC said. Avoid those areas and you’ll be fine. Also, there are legit places for massages, like Wat Pho in Bangkok, where you’ll have a very pleasant, wholesome experience. No glass, no skimpily clad whores, just a good healthy massage.

Never go to the 2nd floor in Patpong, Bangkok. I went to Thailand on business with a colleague some years back and he got tempted by the offer for a private show and the cheap prices for drinks that some guy offered us on the street in Patpong. I advised him not to fall for it but he insisted, so I told him he will pay for everything if it goes wrong. He agreed (“What should happen?”) and so we went up, ordered a drink each and some girl started “performing”.
We decided to leave after the drink and when we got the bill the prices were inflated, the staff argued that the guy on the road didn’t work for them and those were the prices we had to pay (somewhere in the area of NTD 1500-2000 I think).
We made a run for the door but it was locked and some big dude blocked it - no way out. Arguing didn’t help much but after they offered a small discount (still expensive though) my colleague paid up and we were let out.

Another time I went with three friends to Phuket and a guy on the street approached us, offering gems. Funny enough I read about this in my travel guide on the plane and told them not to buy any if that happens, but of course one of them got tempted. After all, the guy hit the “gem” with something hard and used it to scratch glass, so it must be real. Right.
Cost him around NTD1500 and when he went to a jewelery store back in KL he finally believed that he got scammed.

I have actually been many times to Thailand back then, mostly for business, and never got scammed. As HCG says, avoid the sleazy places, and use a bit of common sense and you will probably have no problems either.

Just to add.

Thailand is a third world country and there is some very hard core poverty there. There are also a shitload of illegal immigrants from the likes of Cambodia and Burma who are extremely desperate people. Guns are prevalent, and getting someone killed can be done for as little as US$100, even less if the person is desperate enough. Yaba - literally “crazy medicine” - which as a mix of methamphetamine and caffeine is probably the shittiest drug on the planet and is prone to sending abusers into fits of mindless rage and violence and there are many, many folks taking it alarmingly regularly. The cops are fucking corrupt and will bury evidence for as little as a bottle of decent whiskey - the Thais call them “brown dogs” because they wear brown uniforms and are constantly scrounging for scraps like dogs. There is a strong macho drinking culture among Thai blokes and a shitty nationalist/xenophobia runs fairly deep among a certain set. To screw over a farang is, in some circles, a patriotic act. Combine this and you do not want to be on the wrong end of an angry exchange with drunken Thais.

However, the vast majority of the people are decent hard working folks that take immeasurable and well deserved pride in being perfect hosts to visitors to their country. They are deeply disturbed by the seedy underbelly and obviously would prefer the first thought that popped into foreign brains when the word Thailand is raised is the famed hospitality, beautiful beaches and not Nana fucking Plaza, screeching gangs of marauding ladyboys scams and murders.

As I’m now hooked up with a Thai, have a six year old Thai daughter and am a frequent traveller, I avoid the sleaze like the plague. I’d rather not encourage that shitty aspect and instead seek out the extraordinarily beautiful, sincere, warm and fantastically friendly people and the many stunning vistas.

Up to you what you want to do there, of course. But if it is sleaze you want, make sure you’re really up for all that it can entail. It certainly aint Kansas, sunshine.

Check this prurient but always interesting Thai expat site for a wake up:

[quote]Would your Thai wife murder you for cash?
Have you noticed how many western men living in Thailand seem to suffer violent deaths? Fatal road accidents, burglaries gone wrong and balcony death plunges occur almost daily. Usually they warrant only a couple of lines in the newspaper. Recently, however, I learned about one of these cases in more detail.[/quote]
HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote]Would your Thai wife murder you for cash?
Have you noticed how many western men living in Thailand seem to suffer violent deaths? Fatal road accidents, burglaries gone wrong and balcony death plunges occur almost daily. Usually they warrant only a couple of lines in the newspaper. Recently, however, I learned about one of these cases in more detail.[/quote]
HG[/quote]
Hilarious:

[quote][i]James says:

I am married to a Thai woman and after 3 months, she and her brother tried to to orchestrate my demise. After several weeks of lingering sickness, I became seriously ill and was in the hospital for almost 2 months after the attempted poisoning.

Alas, I love her and I don’t want her to go to jail for a stupid mistake. We have been able to work through this difficulty. She has promised not to try to kill me again and we have resumed our happy life.[/i][/quote]

He is probably taking the piss …

The words “stiff shit” have never rang louder in my brain.

Gee…sound a lot like Guang Zhou :smiley:

“Nana fucking Plaza”

is that second word an adjective or a gerund?