Tilting Trains ("TaiLuGe hao")

hey whats the latest on the TILTING TRAINS from HItachi that the Taiwan Railways Admin will be using to compete with the HSR?? Are those electrified too? Is the east coast line electrified now? up to hualian perhaps?

You mean the “TaiLuGe hao” (Taroko). It is not really competing with the THSR. They will mostly be running from Taibei to Hualien. This line is electrified now. I think they ran one test run of it down to Tainan but not Kaohsiung/GaoXiong and it was never the intention to use it to compete with the THSR.

i read the tilting trains have the ability to run at 200kph. NOt as fast as the 320kph potential of the high speed train of course, but , TRA thinks that they can siphon off some of the business of the HSR if they can run faster then the existing 120kph the TZE CHIANG trains run at? But its already scary running at 120kph on the old tracks amidst all the RR crossings. I cant imagine they can go much faster?? I suppose the TRA thinks it could attract SOME of the HSR traffic (eventually) if they can do the Taipei to Kaohsiung run in say 3 hours instead of the present 4 and a half hours. And because they run from city center to city center. THAT could become a serious threat to HSR. Say the HSR did the trip in 90 minutes. But add in the extra travel time because its stations are not located IN the towns? WE are talking bout over 2 hours for the trip. And if TRA can do its runs in 3 hours?? That could be REAL CLOSE !!

The Tailuge hao had a max speed of 150km/h and an operating speed of 130km/h.

Running it down the west coast will therefore not be hugely different from what they are running now.

However down the east coast, they are really doing a difference, you see. The Tailuge hao is a tilting train, which comes into its own if the tracks are designed with many turns, where a normal non-tilting train has to slow down. a tilting train can drive straight through those turns at full speed, and it will therefore have a much higher average speed.

Down the west coast they will drive a fraction faster than the ziqiang hao, however given the fact that the west coast lines suffer from a bit of constipation, lover average speeds are likely, whether the train is tilting or not.

If they wanted a faster train for a quick run down the west coast, the swedish X-2000, the danish IC3 or the Danish/Italian IC4 would fit the bill a fair bit better, all having operating speeds at 180km or more on standard rails.

Note however that TRA are severly limited when it comes to roll stock, as they are a narrow gauge network.

Ummm Tommmy go back and read my post just before yours. The TaiLuGe Hao is NOT to compete with the THSR. It will run to the East, not down to KaoHsiung/GaoXiong. Also what Mr He says about tilting trains with regards to the East coast line and the conjestion on the west coast lines is correct. Also of course I think everyone assumes before long the THSR will be operating into Taibei station, the same as TRA.
The issues about TRA trains being limited in speed are more than just the narrow gauge. I think some problems exist with the loading gauge (ie the size of the train that is allowed so the train will not hit the walls in tunnels etc). Apparently this is why they do not have container trains on TRA most of the time but these operate in say Japan, NZ, Australia etc on the same gauge. It also means some overseas passenger trains of the same gauge could never operate in Taiwan.
I took the THSR again today. I can not help but think some things on it are great (the trains themselves) but some things just have me shaking my head for how much it fails to deliver. Stupid little, but still annoying problems that make me wonder if the people ever running it bother to take a normal ride on it. Eg when I got to ZuoYing/TsoYing (GaoXiong/Kaohsiung) today the escalator from the platform up to the main part of the station/exit was only going down, not up with no sign of a departing train on that platform (I checked the board). So older people or people like me with bags either have to carry them up the stairs or walk a not so inconsiderable distance to the lift and or maybe other escalator if it was operating in the other direction.
I am not really worried about safety issues with the THSR for now (sure it might be more of a risk than other ShinKanSen, TGV etc but is it any worse than riding my motorbike in Taiwan or China Airlines?). But that said with full price tickets… I will not consider THSR before they are going to Taibei station. It is just over 4 hours on the faster ZiQiangHao trains and their are quite a few each day. THSR only has 3 that do the trip in 1.5 hours and those operate at what for me are inconvenient times (I struggle to get to the station at BanQiao before 7 am…). The rest all stop more and take 2 hours. Then I have to get to/from BanQiao… To me it does not seem worth the price difference before they sort out all their stupid faults and get their act together with these things and also run to Taibei, NOT just BanQiao.

[quote=“naguoning”]Ummm Tommmy go back and read my post just before yours. The TaiLuGe Hao is NOT to compete with the THSR. It will run to the East, not down to KaoHsiung/GaoXiong. Also what Mr He says about tilting trains with regards to the East coast line and the conjestion on the west coast lines is correct. Also of course I think everyone assumes before long the THSR will be operating into Taibei station, the same as TRA.
The issues about TRA trains being limited in speed are more than just the narrow gauge. I think some problems exist with the loading gauge (ie the size of the train that is allowed so the train will not hit the walls in tunnels etc). Apparently this is why they do not have container trains on TRA most of the time but these operate in say Japan, NZ, Australia etc on the same gauge. It also means some overseas passenger trains of the same gauge could never operate in Taiwan.
I took the THSR again today. I can not help but think some things on it are great (the trains themselves) but some things just have me shaking my head for how much it fails to deliver. Stupid little, but still annoying problems that make me wonder if the people ever running it bother to take a normal ride on it. Eg when I got to ZuoYing/TsoYing (GaoXiong/Kaohsiung) today the escalator from the platform up to the main part of the station/exit was only going down, not up with no sign of a departing train on that platform (I checked the board). So older people or people like me with bags either have to carry them up the stairs or walk a not so inconsiderable distance to the lift and or maybe other escalator if it was operating in the other direction.
I am not really worried about safety issues with the THSR for now (sure it might be more of a risk than other ShinKanSen, TGV etc but is it any worse than riding my motorbike in Taiwan or China Airlines?). But that said with full price tickets… I will not consider THSR before they are going to Taibei station. It is just over 4 hours on the faster ZiQiangHao trains and their are quite a few each day. THSR only has 3 that do the trip in 1.5 hours and those operate at what for me are inconvenient times (I struggle to get to the station at Banqiao before 7 am…). The rest all stop more and take 2 hours. Then I have to get to/from Banqiao… To me it does not seem worth the price difference before they sort out all their stupid faults and get their act together with these things and also run to Taibei, NOT just Banqiao.[/quote]

good explanation bout the tunnels and all. And i didnt know the Taroko was only capable of 150kph max speed. And the tunnels and existing infrastructure probably cant even allow it to go that fast on the western trunk line. So i guess the TRA should develop the EAST COAST line and go down the EAST COAST to hualian and taitung and onwards to kaohsiung that way. Electrify that whole line and use TAROKO trains so that one could actually travel to kaohsiung in say six hours but by the scenic route, plus of course on the east coast there would be no competition from HSR (for the next few decades anyway).

i had read in the Taipei Times (hardly the source of reliable news i know) that the TRA was considering using the Taroko train to siphon off some HSR customers.

These posts were split off from the HSR Thread.

Rgds,
Rascal

It’s excellent news about the better train service down the east coast. And it’s another very solid reason for scrapping the Suao-Hualien freeway project.