Time for a prune?

I was just looking at the Forumosans list because I was incredibly bored, and I discovered something astonishing!
If you sort by number of posts made, you will see that there are 4885 “Forumosans” who have never made a post!
That is more than half of our claimed membership!
It’s time to axe some of them.

[quote=“Josefus”]I was just looking at the Forumosans list because I was incredibly bored, and I discovered something astonishing!
If you sort by number of posts made, you will see that there are 4885 “Forumosans” who have never made a post!
It’s time to axe some of them.[/quote]

Lots of folks lurk. That’s permitted, AFAIK.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Josefus”]I was just looking at the Forumosans list because I was incredibly bored, and I discovered something astonishing!
It’s time to axe some of them.[/quote]

Lots of folks lurk. That’s permitted, AFAIK.[/quote]

I agree, but do you really think there are almost 5000 lurkers?
I think more likely most people signed up (for whatever reason) and never came back again.
Would it be hard to send an email to them and maybe get them to confirm active status?

I believe that was done, and admin got hundreds of responses.

Which would mean no response from thousands of people.

No thanks, prunes disagree with me.

There are also hundreds of bots, who all have a birthday on March 28th (Which will do nasty things to Forumosa next March) and live in Russia (no surprise there). I can’t see this guy being an asset: forumosa.com/taiwan/profile. … le&u=20520

Purging members with no posts would be a bad idea, there are some lurkers who have an account and use the “new posts” and PM functions. Pruning people who haven’t logged in for ages is a better idea.

Which would mean no response from thousands of people.[/quote]
Actually, over a thousand from people who cared enough to write. Who knows how many more there are? Thw prunes in the future will be limited to people who have registered but never activated their accounts. People who never post may very well be users of the Forumosafieds, which requires registration in a shared database. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]There are also hundreds of bots, who all have a birthday on March 28th (Which will do nasty things to Forumosa next March)[/quote]Told you, look at the “birthdays in the next month list”