Time to go home

Well, I’ve decided that five years is enough, so after I finish my exams for my M.A. in May, I’m gonna be getting ready to head on home to the US.

What I’m wondering is, I’ll have a lot of boxes of books and stuff to ship back to the States, but I’m not sending any furniture or anything. Are there any shippers that specialize in shipping boxes (like the kind where they stick them all on one big palette and ship them)? I’m trying to think of the best (and cheapest) way to do this …

Also, if I can’t manage to sell all of my furniture, does Taiwan have something like the Salvation Army that will come and pick it up so it can be donated to charity? I don’t wanna just throw stuff out …

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]Well, I’ve decided that five years is enough, so after I finish my exams for my M.A. in May, I’m gonna be getting ready to head on home to the US.

What I’m wondering is, I’ll have a lot of boxes of books and stuff to ship back to the States, but I’m not sending any furniture or anything. Are there any shippers that specialize in shipping boxes (like the kind where they stick them all on one big palette and ship them)? I’m trying to think of the best (and cheapest) way to do this …

Also, if I can’t manage to sell all of my furniture, does Taiwan have something like the Salvation Army that will come and pick it up so it can be donated to charity? I don’t wanna just throw stuff out …[/quote]

If you leave them outside in the dumster area someone will come and pick them up. There are some old guys out there that collects those things and does God knows what with them. or you can give YMCA or any local church a call, tell them you want to donate them some furniture, im sure there will be takers…

International shippers charge by the cubic metre, I googled these and have no idea if they are OK

Jackson Freight System Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2522-1505, Fax: +886 2 2562-3922, e-mail: www.jfs.com.tw

JAS Forwarding (Taiwan) Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2506-5666/9, Fax: +886 2 2507-2020, +886 2 2509-2039, e-mail: jastaiwan@jastaiwan.com

Jetspeed Transporation Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2511-0211, Fax: +886 2 2567-1760, e-mail: atsou@mail.smt.com.tw

JLS Logistics (Taiwan) Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2516-6900, Fax: +886 2 2516-6100, e-mail: www.jls-logistics.com

JPK Air Freight Co Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2531-3268, Fax: +886 2 2531-3267, e-mail: info@jpkair.com.tw, SITA: TPEFSVS

Depends on how much you care about your stuff.

I’ve used crown 2 times now in and out of Taiwan. It is a bit more money to get things bubble-wrapped, boxed, and crated (especially if you are not filling a full 20’ container), but well worth it when someone still managed to crush part of the crate with a forklift in customs (in Boston).

When I looked into it, the per cubic meter charge of your stuff can approach the cost of getting your own 20ft container (it’s not as much as you think) so with the extra space you can go shopping for furniture or other stuff if you want.

I just need to ship a bunch of boxes of books … no need for a 20’ container, and I certainly can’t be affording thousands of dollars (or even a thousand). Looks like this is gonna be a pain in the butt.

I need pet shippers too, cause I can’t lug three cats and my luggage with me to the airport by myself … but the only pet shipper I know of here just does the paperwork … I’m looking for door-to-door shipping service.

sigh

LBTW -
Don’t worry about ‘filling a container’. Thats the shippers concern.
They will just put your boxes on a pallett and add it to an existing container to fill it up.
You pay for the weight.
The majority of my shipping weight coming here was boxes of books.

use the taiwan postal service and their EMS tracking service.

cheap and reliable

Call the EPA to pick up any unwanted furniture.

[quote]use the taiwan postal service and their EMS tracking service.

cheap and reliable[/quote]

Second that. Used them for at least two mass book migrations.

HG

Does the Taiwan postal service offer a ‘book rate’ for sending books?

Or else call someone down on Xiamen St. with a little blue truck. They’ll buy you out, or at least get rid of everything. I mailed 10 boxes home and jettisoned the rest this way.

Littlebuddah,

Use taiwans postal system for your books. Shippers tack on alot of service charges which are only worth it if you are shipping furniture. We just took 2 cats via China Air and it wasnt too bad. It cost USD198 total and we had individual cages and they went in the airplanes luggage storage area. Not sure if they even allow more than 2 cats on one airplane - you better check with them.

[quote=“Pistol19”]International shippers charge by the cubic metre, I googled these and have no idea if they are OK

Jackson Freight System Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2522-1505, Fax: +886 2 2562-3922, e-mail: www.jfs.com.tw

JAS Forwarding (Taiwan) Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2506-5666/9, Fax: +886 2 2507-2020, +886 2 2509-2039, e-mail: jastaiwan@jastaiwan.com

Jetspeed Transporation Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2511-0211, Fax: +886 2 2567-1760, e-mail: atsou@mail.smt.com.tw

JLS Logistics (Taiwan) Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2516-6900, Fax: +886 2 2516-6100, e-mail: www.jls-logistics.com

JPK Air Freight Co Ltd, Taipei, Tel: +886 2 2531-3268, Fax: +886 2 2531-3267, e-mail: info@jpkair.com.tw, SITA: TPEFSVS[/quote]

Why do they all start with “J”?

Mail your books home - I did, it didn’t cost too much and they got home a month earlier than the post office said it would take.
As for your cats, I don’t see why you can’t get them out to the airport yourself - they’ll be in cages. If it’s too much to handle by yourself on the bus, just take a taxi - or surely you can rope a friend into helping.