Time to go Vinyl?

Seriously, try Tzu Chi recycling stations. Cheap, helps the environment, charitable.
Call their Kaohsiung branch to see where is their selling site: 07-3987667 Pingtung: 08-7363953
Or visit if you can find the stations, like Tzu Chi Bagualiao Recycling Station in Kaohsiung or Renwu Tzu Chi Recycling Station in Kaohsiung County.Main office is at Tzu Chi Buddhist Jing Si Hall.

50 cents says they will not have any listenable music though.

He needs the turntable first. And dunno, he might be pleasantly surprised… or repelled so he discontinues his purpose. Anyways, win win.

:smiley:

Not many people listen to the crap I listen to, so i’ve never been successful at 2nd hand record shops (except a few punk places). But he might be pleasantly surprised.

and yes, a turntable is the first step.

Although be warned that you don’t buy one from the Beitou area; something in the air rots electronics in Beitou. must be the sulfur.

I went by the Tzu Chi place today around 4 and there was no one there and the whole complex was gated all around. At least I think I was at the right place. How do you get in to it?

I think it might shut at 4 PM, Josefus. I’ve only ever been at the weekend and it shuts at 4 PM them. I’d hoped they’d stay open a bit later during the week, but I guess not. I also don’t know if they take the whole day off any day during the week.

If you do go there looking for vinyl, there’s a couple of shelves in one of the book rooms on the 1st floor (there are some laser disks mixed in there, but it’s mostly vinyl). It’s a pain in the arse to look through and you’re unlikely to find more than a couple of sides that you’re happy with, but you might get lucky.

There’s also a big plastic box or two downstairs (turn left at the bottom of the stairs and it’s near the bottom of the shelves about halfway along the wall facing you. That’s almost all Asian stuff, but, again, you might get lucky.

Supposedly it is at 5pm, but at 4pm they are already encouraging people to leave or else they stay until 7…

They just moved to a different location, about two blocks down from the original one. I have a map somewhere… I got in through te side entrance, just ask the guard and he will show you the way, but they also have a proper main entrance. Beautiful building, BTW, with carved wood doors, looks like a movie prop.

I got in today.
A small selection of dirty, crappy vinyl.
But no turntables.
Lots of other interesting stuff though.

Map for ya guys:

There were a couple turntables there when I went a couple of weeks ago, like 10 LD players, like 20 DVD players -extra large sized, old models I guess. One lonely VHS player. Seemed like a busy place, too.

Then it’s off to Kuling Street, near Kuting. In Xindian, on Bitan’s old street, there are a couple of 2nd hand places, too.

I’d buy new, just for the sake of it. Unless I find a jukebox. Where would I put a jukebox? I need a bigger place.

What’s on Kuling street?
You mean the giant antiques store?

Nope, rather the string of stores selling used and generally crappy but also ocassionally valuable and useful house stuff. Also, next to the bridge -where they have the bird stores- they also have places selling kitchen stuff.

Back in the UK I’m an analog man. I use old Pioneer, Sansui and Luxman HiFi gear and have a lot of vinyl. You can pick up 100 records for £20 in local junk shops in London and people have decent taste in music, so you are guaranteed a couple of Yardbirds, Who or rare Dub records in a load. I miss vinyl hunting now I’m on Taipei.

I would like to know where I could pick up old HiFi equipment and vinyl in Taipei?

I have seen shops selling stuff, but they have obviously been over to Europe or America to buy the stuff and it’s usually rubbish and overpriced. I want real second hand stores made up of stuff from house clearances, or flea markets. That way I’m not paying more then what it would cost to have it shipped from the UK over myself.

Just back from Edinburgh, where I picked up a secondhand Denon amp dirt cheap and my mate gave me his old (very basic) record player. Even picked up some LPs in charity shops. Wasn’t actually having much luck there, but on the last morning I popped by the local shop and they had a few decent ones (they sell them for “3 for 99p” there, which is probably why it’s hard to beat others to the good stuff).

Popped into the Tzu-Chi shop when I got back and picked up a pair of speakers. Looked through their records and picked out a few, only to put them back when the lady told me they’re 200nt each now (which would probably be OK if they were in good condition).

[quote=“irishstu”]Just back from Edinburgh, where I picked up a secondhand Denon amp dirt cheap and my mate gave me his old (very basic) record player. Even picked up some LPs in charity shops. Wasn’t actually having much luck there, but on the last morning I popped by the local shop and they had a few decent ones (they sell them for “3 for 99p” there, which is probably why it’s hard to beat others to the good stuff).

Popped into the Tzu-Chi shop when I got back and picked up a pair of speakers. Looked through their records and picked out a few, only to put them back when the lady told me they’re 200nt each now (which would probably be OK if they were in good condition).[/quote]
May I be the VERY first to congratulate you on your purchases and safe return.

This place in Zhongxin charges about the same for the records but they are in top shape. Yep, pity about the stuff in Tzu Chi. There must be treasures there but as with that other second hand store chain, boy, the only thing they know to keep clean and well are designer bags.

I am really, really thinking about a small turntable and a stack of 45s, like I had when I was little. That’ll be cool.

Has anybody here checked that famous second hand flea market in Sanchong? Somewhere over some bridge?