Time to go Vinyl?

Been searching Amozon and decided to check out the vinyl section. Wow, many contemporary singers. Each disk comes with a free digital rip too. Prices… not much more expensive than I used to pay as a teenager in the late '70’s and early 80’s. I mean between spotify, KKBOX and Easy Peer I’ve got everything I want on tap but it’s not “special” any more.
I remember saving up… getting my Simon and Garfunkel Concert in Central Park Double Album, looking at the art work and dreaming of going to New York City.

Wonder if the kids would appreciate the music. Remember… Contemporary cartoons like Spongebob Square Pants and other shows, show people using records. Not downloads or even CD’s.
If there are any inexpensive sources of turntables here in Taiwan, let me know. I just want an average one like my Sears foldable record Changer my Grams got me as a kid. Thing lasted a long time. That would end or at least make back money from piracy. Something with real sound engraved in it… To hold in your hand.

come on man. the time to go vinyl was about 1930.

technics direct drive, BTW.

I buy 2nd hand from Discogs, online, for low prices that you won’t get in Taiwan. Shipping costs a bit so you’d have to order several records from the same merchant to make it worthwhile.

[quote=“urodacus”]come on man. the time to go vinyl was about 1930.

technics direct drive, BTW.[/quote]

Moving magnet or moving coil?

There’s nothing like a little low order harmonic distortion, a subtle fall-off at high frequencies and a limited S/N ratio to induce nostalgia in a boomer.

You know what I would like? A jukebox and a bunch of classic rock 45s.

BTW, I have an excoworker, fellow teacher, spent a long time in the US collecting rare LPs and having them autographed by the likes of Jimmy Page, Peter Gabriel, etc. even Michael Jackson. Well, he’s starting to cash in on his investment, selling the whole bit.

I’ve been searching for one of those cars that you crank to start. They look like fun.

And a pharmacy that carries leeches.

[quote=“zender”]I’ve been searching for one of those cars that you crank to start. They look like fun.
[/quote]

Cars! Bah-humbug! There’s nothing more reliable than a good old horse and buggy.

Besides, those buggy-whips are pretty kinky.

Crank Start cars… Horse and buggies. Oh… man Where I came from there was a lot of them. New Jersey… Old time car shows every summer. Historic villages where people play colonists on the weekends, drive steam engines, blow glass and bang horse shoes. Nothing unusual. Love to see that in Taiwan!
I’m not looking or hi-fi… Just a reasonable priced machine that played engraved disks with stereo sound. . I won’t give up my mp3’s but I liked watching the record go round and round. Wish I still had my Monty Python Tie and handkerchief album. The B side had two programs on a trick track. Than was cool.

Urodacus, 1930? Actually in the 1940’s. Before that it was shellac.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]
I’m not looking or hi-fi… Just a reasonable priced machine that played engraved disks with stereo sound. . I won’t give up my mp3’s but I liked watching the record go round and round. [/quote]

Flea market. If you’re lucky, it’ll have an 8-track player built in.

youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Lots at Tzu Chi, but that is Taipei. And the art is not dead, there are a bunch of hi fi stores selling turntables and proper ear busting speakers -to listen to Metallica the way it should- around Boai Road, Camera Street. My dream is to walk into one of those stores and change their Four Seasons with Black Betty or Panama…

This is the kind of stuff my pal collected over the years:

First press. Mono. The way it was really supposed to be. No remastering whatevers.

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]
I’m not looking or hi-fi… Just a reasonable priced machine that played engraved disks with stereo sound. . I won’t give up my mp3’s but I liked watching the record go round and round. [/quote]

Flea market. If you’re lucky, it’ll have an 8-track player built in.

youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU[/quote]

Flea Market in Taiwan? If I can find a real “flea market” in the Kaohsiung/Pingtun area I will really be in heaven. New Jersey’s the king of them. I
google.co.uk/search?q=Golde … 20&bih=979

Taiwan people, at least in my neck of the woods, don’t sell their old things even if they still work. They just discard them on the side of the road. Usually just before a rain storm guaranteeing the stuff will be destroyed. You don’t know how many “rotary phones” or consoles I just missed. Oh we threw that out a month ago… i would get…
So tell me where I can get some good flea markets. As for Taipei… I have a sister in law up there… If any forumosan is lucky enough to see a cheap but decent turntable. PM me. I’m not looking for audiofile quality. Just something that can be used and enjoyed. I’d have to find some cheap and decent children’s records too. I’m sure that would be cheap enough on E-bay.
PS: Thanks for the song… Love it.

You guys know about Vinyl Decision, right?

vinyldecision.com/pages/about-us

It’s recently opened so the website’s a little empty at the moment.

I know many second hand stores in Taipei that have vinyl. Will ask a Kaohsiung friend what area are those stores there but she will probably send me to PC Home, TW Yahoo Kimo or Ruten, where we furrienrs cannot buy stuff -however since TS is married, he can recruit his wife to help. Way cheaper shipping, which is always a killing, either for Ebay or any other site.

Wife & I don’t share same hobby or appreciation of old stuff, or tech stuff. Helps me save money… mixed blessing :slight_smile: Who am I kidding… I’d be broke. But, I do get the occasional treat!

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]
Flea Market in Taiwan? If I can find a real “flea market” in the Kaohsiung/Pingtun area I will really be in heaven. New Jersey’s the king of them.[/quote]

You’ve got a point. Last winter I saw a place in a back alley of Ximen with Alfred E Neumann’s face, but they seemed to sell only clothes. Then I saw a place at the northeast end of Ximen that sold what looked like vintage stero equipment – not junk, just old. I didn’t check the prices because I wasn’t in the market. I don’t know southern Taiwan from boo.

Best of luck to you. Your desire seems reasonable enough in retrospect.

My best friend refuses to help me buy stuff of the Interwebs for the same reason: stop wasting money, save money! I’ve saved enough, thank you, can’t buy a house anyways, lemme make my life here a bit more comfortable and colorful. Vinyl is one of those treasures that keeps on giving.

Many turntables at Tzu Chi recycle station here in Taipei -they moved a bit, still close to Bade Road, a 10 minute walk from Guaghua Electronic Market/Zhongshiao Fuxing station-, all kinds, all sizes, ages and prices -cheap, cheap. If you come to Taipei I’ll take you bargain hunting.

Can any of you computer wizards give TS the Google coordinates for the Tsu Chi recycle station? Irishtu?

My best friend refuses to help me buy stuff of the Interwebs for the same reason: stop wasting money, save money! I’ve saved enough, thank you, can’t buy a house anyways, lemme make my life here a bit more comfortable and colorful. Vinyl is one of those treasures that keeps on giving.

Many turntables at Tzu Chi recycle station here in Taipei -they moved a bit, still close to Bade Road, a 10 minute walk from Guaghua Electronic Market/Zhongshiao Fuxing station-, all kinds, all sizes, ages and prices -cheap, cheap. If you come to Taipei I’ll take you bargain hunting.

Can any of you computer wizards give TS the Google coordinates for the Tsu Chi recycle station? Irishtu?[/quote]

Are you sure you’ve seen turntables there? I’ve actually been looking for them the past few times without luck.

Records–yes (though many are not in the best of shape)
Record players–no

New location (note that the street view photo was obviously taken before they renovated the place and moved in): maps.google.com/?ll=25.04529,12 … .89,0,4.3

Yep, because I went looking for LD players and they had VHS players, turntables and other oldies. No Betamax, though. :laughing:

VHS player? Actually, i would love the use of one for a bout two months, maybe one month during vacation time. I’ve got several VHS tapes to copy. Two local friends tried to lend me theirs for months, maybe years a and they both would not run. Don’t want to buy it though… with the cost of buying one, plus the labor… I bet re-buying the collection on DVD would be cheaper. Any Kaohsiung friends can help me?