Time to start thinking about a big bike...options under 200k?

Well, my old Zing is finally starting to become a money pit and the valves and getting a bit tinkly. Once they or something else in the motor goes I’m not going to replace it.

Me and the old lady decided that we are going to get a small car (like a Honda Fit) instead of a 4WD so the compromise is we’re going to get a big bike as well. A 250cc or smaller just won’t cut it in the mountains with me, her and our 2 year old son in the middle.

So, I’m starting to look out for something, preferably under 200,000 NT and 10 years old or less.

Other than price, a big/long/comfortable seat with upright riding position is a must. It doesnt have to have a huge seat or be a tourer because obviously we will use the car more for safety reasons. But still, something that can hold a small family comfortably for putting around in the mountains. Also, good fuel economy or at least a big tank is important as I’d like to be able to ride anywhere without having to worry about running out of fuel.

An obvious choice is the Honda CB-400 but what else is there in my price range? Looks like the Hornet 600’s get down around the 200,000 mark as well? Also, isnt there a Suzuki Bandit 650 that is similar?

Any other suggestions?

And one last thing, can anyone who went through the process of getting a big bike license fill me in on the time and money involved?

Thanks a bunch!

This is a joke thread, right? You’re SERIOUSLY contemplating “putting about” on mountain roads 3-up with your wife and 2-year-old? :laughing: What YOU need is a 25-year-old Suzuki 2-stroke with the oily black smoke and maybe the gas canister rack on the back. Helmets and shoes optional, of course.

as hard as it may be, on this time i agree with sandman… a 2 year old on a bike to tour around your city or Taiwan… are you crazy? there are so many stupid blue trucks and drunk taiwanese driving the mountains of Taiwan that there is no way a baby is safe in that environment… and a motorcycle would not be the best way to approach if you will still buy one… you can get a big scooter… there are some 350cc or 400cc scooters… there are even 600cc scooters…
if i had a son that is old enough to be on a bike it would most likely be a Honda Gold wing or similar… that thing has even seat belts on the back…
if you do come to your senses and discard the option of the baby on the bike… then i would suggest a 600cc bike as it has a red plate and can use the expressways of Taiwan… if not because of that little detail then i would say the CB400 is just perfect for the job… then again. no kid on the bike…

BTW, three people on a bike is illegal.
You will get tagged on a big bike.
Cops are looking at any excuse.
Double whammy because you are a big nose.
Why don’t you save your cash for a few years and buy something you can really enjoy when your child gets a little older??

I thought I might get flamed but perhaps I didnt make myself clear enough. No, I’m not talking about motorcycle touring, city driving, expressways etc. I’m talking about a bike thats mostly for me but can fit three of us for putting around country areas or in the mountains. They would take the car to the campsite or minsu or whatever, I would take the bike then we use the bike to cruise around a bit once we are there.

I’ve lived in Taiwan for almost 5 years and have driven in every kind of environment or situation on the island. I know the risks. Anyway, just ignore the bit about three people then and help me figure out what kind of bike I can get in that price range!

Big bikes have been around for a while now in Taiwan, and used bike prices are starting to come down. Plenty available in your price range, and even lower. Best to get looking on the local classifieds:

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/e52347247

The link is to a pretty cool looking retro-style 650. Price? Seller is asking 180k. You could likely get it for less.

[quote=“PaddyB”]I thought I might get flamed but perhaps I didnt make myself clear enough. No, I’m not talking about motorcycle touring, city driving, expressways etc. I’m talking about a bike thats mostly for me but can fit three of us for putting around country areas or in the mountains. They would take the car to the campsite or minsu or whatever, I would take the bike then we use the bike to cruise around a bit once we are there

[/quote]

So, what’s the difference? It’s still three …

So do a lot of locals … they lived here all their life … and still get run down … or stopped by cops.

I think OP has clarified already that he only intends to give his wife and kid rides in remote areas on vacation trips, and only after they’d arrived there by other means. Can we dispense with the typical forumosa M/O of off-topic gang flaming/ holier-than-thou moralising and simply give the guy the information he seeks?

It has nothing to do with being holier, it’s everything to do with talking sense … ‘remote roads’ are even more dangerous than ‘normal’ roads in Taiwan, because they are badly maintained, little blue trucks drivers think they can drive faster because, cut corners, hey, it’s a remote road, no other vehicles here …

But you know what … you’re right, his family is not my responsibility …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]It has nothing to do with being holier, it’s everything to do with talking sense … ‘remote roads’ are even more dangerous than ‘normal’ roads in Taiwan, because they are badly maintained, little blue trucks drivers think they can drive faster because, cut corners, hey, it’s a remote road, no other vehicles here …

But you know what … you’re right, his family is not my responsibility …[/quote]

…and it isn’t the topic of this thread, either; nor is it what he asked from you. But don’t let either of those stop you (not that it has).

This is getting off topic! You guys are such haters. If he wants to ride 3 on a bike bike than that is his business. He wants to know what he can get for 200k. I really can’t help, because I only deal with small cc bikes here. I would say a CB400 and not the the Hornet 250cc. I don’t know what other options are out there in that price range that are above 250cc.

My friend just bought a sweet husqvarna 510cc motard. What a fucking fun ride! I think it was over 200k though. It was used, but pretty new. Sorry, I cant help much!

Here’s a link to a guy with an R-1 I’m sure you could get for under 200k.

[url]Motorcycle Wrecks of the Week in Taiwan -

IMO, you should be looking at any Suzuki SV1000N, now out of production, but parts are not a problem. The N variant has high bars. The S variant has clipons,but can be converted to an N. The S version is more common. Top case with rack are an off the shelf, aftermarket parts. Great engine. Several riders on flob have SV1000s. The Taiwan import years are 2002 to 2007, IIRC. Usually in the NTD 220K and above range, but it would be worth it to spend the extra NTD.

send a pm to llary and see if he still has his Ninja ER-6F for sale, price is in your budget, decent seat and upright riding position. good for 2 not for 3!!!

If upright seating is a goal, cycle-ergo.com/ is your friend.
The ergos of the same model can change between model years. For instance, the Kwak ER-6 pilot’s forward lead is 13 deg. in 2008 and earlier model years, and 11 deg. in 2009 and later MYs (for a 6’2" pilot).

As a comparison, the Zook V-strom DL1000 has a pilot’s forward lean of 0 degrees, and a knee angle of 86 deg. (for a 6’2" pilot). For tall riders, every degree of lean angle and knee angle is important, and can mean the difference between being able to ride around the 'wan in five-days straight of touring, or parking the bike and lying in a hotel room with icepacks.

I have a 3 year old and I am horrified at the thought of letting him ride on the Ninja, I think he would hurt himself badly even if he fell off when stopped.

And even ignoring that I’m not sure I would recommend the Ninja for anyone planning to carry passengers, I did some long rides with my wife a few years back and it wasn’t very comfortable for either of us due to the seat design.