Tipping in Taiwanese UberEats

Me too. It states “rate and tip” but no tip function.

I used to always give a 50 NT tip. Sometimes 100. So many riders tried the no-yes-no-yes-no-yes-ok dance. I eventually just gave up after the first 10 attempts (no means no?). Now I only offer for outstanding service. But, the reviews do matter, so a thumbs-up + personalized feedback may be meaningful to them.

Yep! In terms of service industries, I always tip taxi drivers and barbers (they might wait a long time for customers). Additionally, I tip my masseuse/masseur (I require lots of pressure, but no 快樂結束) and my manicurist (she’s an angel that spends more time than average on my nasty nails, even weekly).

Never liked the tip culture. Businesses should just be paying their employees properly. If they are cheating them, i dont support their service.

With uber eats/panda/etc we should be tipping the restaurants that are getting raped more than anyone. Not so much mcdonalds and large types, but local businesses who already have a hard time paying rent and doing all the work prepping and making everything deserve the tips. Delivery people (includes waiters takin a plate from A to B) who literally just pick up, move and drop off deserve a wage. Not a tip. In my opinion. The owners are often the hardest off followed by the cooks. I tip cooks, cause they are the ones doing it all. The owners get their products price. Uber eat deliveries should be an extra fee for the customer not abother tax on the business…customers seem kinda entitled and out of touch with logistics.

1 Like

If you want to tip, give a tip to the restaurant itself or staff, not some delivery person, who has no connection to the restaurant.

Give a tip to the restaurant so they will know you appreciate them.

• It’s the postman, not someone doing something special
  • The delivery people are being paid a wage like other people that work

The culture isn’t a tipping culture. It’s a salary culture. The delivery person isn’t working for tips, they are working for salary.

Edit: To remove random useless comments.

1 Like

I just used UberEats last night for some groceries from RT Mart, and the “rate and tip” function works well now. Not sure if the presented tip options change with how much you order, but the options were NT$20, NT$50, NT$100. And you could edit and give a custom tip. I went with NT$50.

There was a discussion about how tipping may be seen as disrespectful. I can’t read Chinese, but I believe I got a message back from the driver with a smiley face :slightly_smiling_face:

And I know Taiwan isn’t generally a tipping culture. Given that the tip function in the UberEats app works now, do you think people here are giving more tips to drivers? Or maybe customers look at it and are annoyed that it is even shown.

2 Likes

I’m annoyed because it bugs you like two or three times to give a tip when you try to order, and then afterwards too.

1 Like

First time I used foodpanda I tipped the delivery guy because my order was so small and at the time the delivery was “free”. I felt like my order was more of an inconvenience.

He politely refused my tip. We went back and forth a few times offering and politely refusing until I gave up.

At least electronic tips can’t really be refused.

2 Likes

DoorDash in the US was taking workers tips paid through app to pay their wages.

For those of you that do tip (tipping the restaurant seems to have gone away), do you tip a set amount or based on the value of the order? Uber Eats has changed from percentage, to flat, to percentage again, but I’ve been sticking to a flat amount based on size as it isn’t any harder to transport an Eddy’s Cantina burrito than 4 Hai dumplings.

It’s a just a cultural thing. For what I understand, in US tipping is a must, even if the service is bad. In most European countries, like mine, it is not necessary because service charge has already been included in the bill, but well accepted (money anyway :rofl:). In Taiwan DON’T, period. You would just make people uncomfortable. Smile, say “thank you” or, if the app allows, give a 5-star feedback. That will do.

Then, of course, if the app allows for e-tips like Grab in Singapore, go ahead :wink:

1 Like

…why? What’s the point?

I’m not American, man. I never EVER tip :sweat_smile: Jokes apart, I think (American Forumosans correct me if I’m wrong) it’s because they don’t have any service charge, so that money is kind of expected. Like some base percentage amount for rude service, which can be higher if you are happy. Something like that.

1 Like

I ain’t tippin if the waiter is demonstably terrible towards me. Fortunately, it’s rare.

2 Likes

Servers sometimes only make $1 or $2 per hour - so without tips they basically get paid nothing.

So i should reward bad behaviour by a server with payment? O_o

1 Like

If management is incapable, bad service might not be only the server’s fault.

That’s totally different. But i would not want to reward demonstrably bad behaviour by a server.

Who would willingly tip? The whole point of moving to TW is to get away from tipping.

3 Likes

That’s one hell of a reason to uproot yourself and become an expat.

Tipping must be severely harrowing and dreadful where you come from.

2 Likes

I’ve declined to tip once or twice in the past (rare, as you’ve said), but I’ve always made sure to make the reason known to the manager.

1 Like

I was already an expat in Canada and the tipping is foreign to me. Glad to be away from it.

1 Like