Tipping in Taiwanese UberEats

Is it possible to give tips through the app? Somehow I can’t figure it out…there’s a button for “reviews & tips” but when I start the process, there doesn’t seem to be a tips option.

I don’t think there is one. Just give the driver some coins.

2 Likes

I tried tipping a couple times. The delivery person always seems confused.

I’ve been ordering nearly everyday for a few weeks since coronavirus and the delivery people just hand over the bag and run back to the elevator.

My Taiwan friends tell me don’t tip.

So I gave up tipping Ubereats drivers.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m still an UberEats beginner and today the guy was trying to be extra nice, as if he was hoping for a tip. He had been super quick and I let him wait for a bit so I wanted to tip him, but thought I could do it through the app afterwards… too bad it’s not possible.

1 Like

Tipping isn’t a part of Taiwan’s culture. Some would even get mad if you give them a tip. They’ll think you are looking down on them. I gave up giving them tips as well.

7 Likes

Why would you guys be giving extra money to drivers?

I thought this was about lifehacks. Didn’t you already pay in the app?

1 Like

This catches me as tip time, but I’ve come to realize it’s just them trying to do a good job, provide good service and just being nice.

Not like some cultures and countries where you have to pay extra to get good service.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :grin:

1 Like

They sometimes make ridiculously small amounts for a ride (25 TWD).

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Has not been the case for me.

I tipped $100 once when I accidentally sent the driver to my home address but was at work. It was just a 5-minute drive, but still.

Yeah, Taiwan guy pulling down 40k a month busting his ass in Taipei traffic 12 hours a day or more turns down free cash :roll:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ZestyMassiveHammerheadshark-size_restricted.gif

I’ll give them a hun if the weather’s particularly nasty.

No one’s ever “gotten mad” and refused it.

2 Likes

Well, I experienced it before, but not at Ubereat. When I first came to Taiwan, I gave tip to a taxi driver who wouldn’t take it, and shouted quick Taiwanese that I wasn’t even able to get. Shocked, I got off the taxi and apologized. I told my husband what happened and that’s how I found out they don’t give tip here in Taiwanese as it is a sign of disrespect for them, he said.

Just because you haven’t experienced it, doesn’t mean there’s none. Lol. There are some people out there that are full of pride.

I tip taxis all the time, they’re always somewhere between neutral and very grateful.

1 Like

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Then I guess I’m just pretty unlucky. Anyway, never gave any tips after that experience just to be sure.

I’m not trying to start an argument, I’ve just never seen that.

The driver might have had a thing about a lady giving him a tip, which would be pretty stupid, but possible.

I tip taxis, and I tip my barber too.

1 Like

I didn’t know that Tony was taking tips…

Same. Or if it’s especially late at night.

1 Like

Not no more he ain’t :raccoon: