Tips to save money as expat in TW?

The green ones were 2 for $10, but they weren’t nearly as big either.

Green ones are ok for cooking, but not in salad.

1 Like

I had morning glory, big bag of garlic, 3 limes, 2 bags of holy basil (score! Usually they only have sweet basil), and a red onion, 130NT. The red onion was 30NT, a bit of a splurge. White onions would have been fine but I was feeling purple

I really nailed the flavor balance tonight, if i do say so myself

4 Likes

When I cook lasagne I make a salad with green peppers and cucumber. They work pretty well IMO.

1 Like

But if one is trying to save money, yellow peppers aren’t required in a salad

2 Likes

This is true. I’m too picky in my old age I guess. :pensive:

1 Like

My experience from 2009 to 2013, live in company properties (2F of a combined office/factory in Linkou, New Taipei) for free (downside, you become the de-facto nightwatchman), AC included.
My company also happen to have shower and toilet, so no need to buy toilet paper.
Buy a bike.
Eat company snacks, like Pringles, Cheetos or KitKat as breakfast (since you live in the company anyway).
Eat lunch and dinner at the same 50 TWD a plate buffet everyday.
Go to night market/Carrefour for samples.
Avoid socializing with colleagues.
Do not have friends.
For that period, my monthly cost never goes beyond 5000 TWD. Usually it stay around 4000 TWD when add on cost of toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and shampoo.
Drink from company water cooler. Always.

1 Like

If I were a woman, I’d filter the other way, so I guess it’d all work out. No need to date someone who doesn’t respect women.

1 Like

If you have to pay, you’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

Respect has nothing to do with money.

2 Likes

It’s not about the money. I’m sure this is old fashioned, but men hold open doors for women, give them jackets when it’s cold, walk them to their doors, and pay for dates. It’s just basic decency.

2 Likes

Make more money.

6 Likes

@Mithrandir is old-school AF… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Men (actually ant self-respecting adult) also don’t use “AF” or emojis.

2 Likes

What about a cow self-respecting adult? :thinking:

3 Likes

But, how? Start an IG page with loads of followers?

Bulls ruminate for their cows, giving them their cud. Without swearing, emojis, or pushing them over when they sleep.

OK, that’s it. Pistols at dawn. Be sure to bring a second. My honor shall be restored. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

If you think dates = sex, you’re doing both wrong.

I just worked more, then I worked less for more.

1 Like