Today's Chinese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty

Today’s Chinsese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty.

[color=red]Monday 8th August 7:45am[/color]

[color=blue]Write today’s sentence down and practise it through the day.[/color]

Note that each days sentence is taken from day to day Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and may not quite correspond with your Mandarin books.

This one’s comin’ at ya bit early. I may not have time in the morning, so I’ll post this now.

[color=green]你如果要身體健康,最好每天運動

nǐ r

[quote=“Toasty”]Today’s Chinsese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty.

[color=red]Wednesday 10th August early; very early[/color]

[color=blue]Write today’s sentence down and practise it through the day.[/color]

Note that each days sentence is taken from day to day Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and may not quite correspond with your Mandarin books.

[color=green] 我甚麼都吃. 就是牛肉, 我不吃.

wo3 shen2me dou1 chi1. jiu4 shi4 niu2 rou4, wo3 bu4 chi1.
[/color]

I eat everything except beef.

literal: I/everything/eat. Except/beef, I/don’t/ eat.

Certainly not true for me. I eat everything and then some (explains my wonderful physique).

I hope this is handy for y’all. I’m lazy and might not get to the pinyin converter thingy for a while. Post HH disorder. I hope you understand.

Converter is a handy resource located here:.
foolsworkshop.com/ptou/[/quote]

Lookin’ good, Toasty! I’d merely suggest keeping compound words together when you spell the pinyin, thusly:

Ni3 ru2guo3 yao4 shen1ti2 jian4kang4, zui4 hao3 mei3tian1 yun4dong4.

and

Wo3 shen2me dou1 chi1. jiu4 shi4 niu2rou4, wo3 bu4 chi1.

Da4jia1 jia1you2! (Great job everyone, keep it up!)

Yup, word parsing is the way to go.
In that spirit:
zui hao --> zuihao
jiu shi --> jiushi

Well, that jiushi usage is new to me. I would’ve thought “I eat everything except beef” would be chule niuruo, wo shenme dou chi.

Looks like I’m going to have to start paying more attention to these posts then! Nice work!

Yeah, that works too (and in fact I prefer yours). Could we get you (and all others) to follow our new standard pattern of presentation for this thread, though? Pls add the tone numerals, then on a line below it, translate each word literally, in the Chinese order, and on a third line, give a normal English equivalent. Thanks!

I’m certainly glad things are going well, here. I actually think this is a pretty good idea. Hopefully it brings more traffic into the learning Chinese forum. Sorry 'bout the spaces in my pinyin. I have a tendency to think in terms of separate characters and seem leave spaces every word. My learning method has been reading and memorizing characters. I use pinyin to learn pronunciation of individual words, but don’t usually read or write entire sentences using it. That’s why I’m a bit inept at the spacing. I’ll try my best, but please write in with corrections when I screw it up. Kudos to Ironman for starting these sentence a day threads.

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”]Today’s Chinsese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty.

[color=red]Thursday 11th August a little late[/color]

[color=green] 吃完飯後, 她們就各回各的房間了

chi1 wan2 fan4 hou4, ta1men2 jiu4 ge4 hui2 ge4 de fang2jian1 le.

chī w

AFAIK, the most common occurrence of the ge4 v. ge4 is in “going Dutch”, i.e., each paying his own bill separately at a restaurant:

各付各的
ge4 fu4 ge4 de,
each pay each
go Dutch

as in,

我們各付各的吧
Wo3men2 ge4 fu4 ge4 de ba.
we each pay each + suggestion particle
Let’s go Dutch.

Ahhh yes. Heard that one too. Usually someone sneaks off and pays the bill or insists on doing so to show their generosity when I go out though.

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”]Today’s Chinsese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty.

[color=red]Friday 12th August, just got up[/color]

[color=green] 難怪他的國語那麼好, 原來他天天上國語課

nan2guai4 ta1 de guo2yu3 na4me hao3, yuan2lai2 ta1 tian1tian1 shang4 guo2yu3 ke4.

n

Looks good; oh, the 上 shang should be shang4, 4th tone. Cheers!

Rest assured it was when I inputted it for the character. Typo occured when I wrote it in the pinyin only line. I’ll fix it now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I’m still having trouble with the boxes appearing on third tone words after the unicode conversion. The battle continues.

Who’s up for next week’s thread?

[quote=“Toasty”]I’m still having trouble with the boxes appearing on third tone words after the unicode conversion. The battle continues.
[/quote]
You can’t see those third tone vowels in Internet Explorer, but in other browsers they look fine.
You can try to use the other converter (http://www.fozza.com/zhongwen/pinyinconverter.php#).

There’s a thread about this problem here:
[url]Getting 3rd tone diacriticals to show instead of white boxes

[quote=“Andre”][quote=“Toasty”]I’m still having trouble with the boxes appearing on third tone words after the unicode conversion. The battle continues.
[/quote]
You can’t see those third tone vowels in Internet Explorer, but in other browsers they look fine.
You can try to use the other converter (http://www.fozza.com/zhongwen/pinyinconverter.php#).

There’s a thread about this problem here:
[url]Getting 3rd tone diacriticals to show instead of white boxes

You are so correct. I recently dled and installed Firefox. My gf must have reset the default browser back to IE when she used the comp. Gonna give her heck for it. Yeah, everything looks great in Firefox.

I might be, but I’m still waiting for Toasty’s Sun. and Mon. posts before committing…

:raspberry: :slight_smile:

I might be, but I’m still waiting for Toasty’s Sun. and Mon. posts before committing…

:raspberry: :slight_smile:[/quote]Oops. Kind of let it slide a bit on my days off. I told Ironman a bunch of insults and dirty words (like “eunuch” in Chinese, for example) in person today. That ought to count for something. :laughing: You’re all clear, mate.

No, no, you’ve got to spit out Sun. & Mon.'s work first. :raspberry: :laughing:

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”]Today’s Chinsese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty.

[color=red]Sunday 14th August, or so it was supposed to have been posted then at any rate[/color]

[color=green] 你活該

ni3 huo2 gai1.

nǐ hu

[quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”][quote=“Toasty”]Today’s Chinsese sentence. 8th-15th August Poster: Toasty.

[color=red]Monday 15th August, because Dragonbones told me to get off my lazy behind and finish my posting duties[/color]

[color=green] 他喝醉得連 走路都不會

ta1 he1zui4 de lian2 zou3lu4 dou1 bu2 hui4.

tā hēzu