Today's Google doodle: Bubble tea

bubble tea

Is today special in the history of bubble tea? Not according to anything I found online. While there’s a “National Bubble Tea Day” in the US–April 30th–I’m curious why Google chose today to highlight it.

6 Likes

I noticed this today too. Don’t know why it’s today though. I thought it was cute and even took a screenshot.

2 Likes
4 Likes

A “formosan mountain dog”!

Actually I thought the cartoons were really cute. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Guy

Ah ok, I missed this part :bubble_tea:

1 Like

It is like a game. You have to fill the orders the way they tell you or you do not get the points. Not as easy as it seems!

The expletives I want to throw at google for so very much getting this wrong:

• Bubble in bubble tea comes from the froth that forms at the top when the tea is shaken. Hence “手搖” (hand-shaken [drink]) in Taiwan.
  • Boba comes from the Chinese slang “波霸”, which means “big boobs”
  • there are no “bubbly balls”. There are balls (or cubes of jelly or anything else under the sun) at the bottom of the drink and there are bubbles floating on the top.

Why does this make me so angry? Because multiple fully full of themselves, “I know everything and you’re an idiot” Americans (in the US) have have minor flip-shits at me for daring to call the drink “bubble tea” (because I’m an idiot who doesn’t know what I’m talking about, not someone who spent a shockingly large amount of time reading every text in Chinese about the history of bubble tea that I could get my hands on when I first got here)

Also, Google, read up on your iconic Taiwanese animals. A Leopard Cat or a Taiwan Black bear was too basic for them?

1 Like

A Taiwan Black Bear making bubble tea?

I think you have just hit the Taiwan Tourism Bureau jackpot!

Guy

3 Likes

The Formosan black bear is the obvious choice, which somehow eluded the great assemblage of creative and intellectual talent at Google. For anyone who has lived in Taiwan, i.e probably none of the people chosen to do this creative task, a dog brings to mind stray dog, or even a pack of stray dogs.

2 Likes

Could you imagine the bubble tea that such a pack could craft.

Or perhaps some third wave coffee—pourovers by a pack of xiao he. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

I always mess up the cats’ order. Can’t get all 3 stars after 3 tries.

2 Likes