Toilet Bowl Theme Restaurants

Will we be Star Chambered? Got to go back to the Circus again, cheers!

For the record, the food at the toilet restaurant is good. Believe me, I was suprised. And to be honest, I never would have gone there were it not for me hunting for an interesting place to do a restaurant review for. (well, that and I figured I’d get a free meal for writing about them) So I guess that goes to strengthen TC’s point about a theme such as that attracting customers. So the big question
will it last? Well, he did start off by selling ice cream in small plastic toilets however many years back
and is still in business
so I guess he’s (actually ‘they’) have a good chance. From my one visit there, I’ll say that I had a pretty good time. As silly as the whole thing seems, I felt like I was at some sort of amusement park or something (can’t think of a better comparison) cuz people all seemed in a festive mood, taking pictures and such and laughing, eating, etc
 All in all, I’d recommend going once
just for the heck of it. Can’t vouch for the one in Taipei
but the Kaohsiung one is fun enough.

oZzo

A Japanese friend sent me this link to the Modern Toilet Cafe (http://www.moderntoilet.com.tw/index.asp) . Has anyone been? What’s this all about, besides an unusual dining experience? Any first hand reports?

While I’m sure this has been discussed before, I did a search for “modern toilet” “toilet cafe” and “toilet cafĂ©â€ and came up with nothing (is search broken?).

They have one of these in Zhongli. Will definitely make a pit stop there and try out their facilities.

Still works: Toilet Bowl Theme Restaurants

I would think that might be a nice place for Screaming Jesus to take his coworker on a date.

I would lose my appetite. There is a hospital themed restaurant on Mingchuan E Road that looks more interesting. Nice nurses.

If you really don’t like their food at least you don’t need to run for the toilet.

been to the one in ximending
 i think its more for the decor and experience then the food cause the food wasnt that great
 but if you have friends in town and want to show them something interesting it might be worth a trip

Go figure 
 they have like 12 outlets 
 :doh: toilet humor must be a big hit in Taiwan 

Was that “pun intended”? :laughing:

Hey, they made #2 on the list of the world’s weirdest attractions!
I guess I have to go now.

yikes

I’ve been there a few times; it’s one of our favourite “kitsch” spots to take people who come to visit us. The beef hot pot’s not bad, and the orange calpis is good too. (You can order drinks to go in urinal jugs like men get in the hospital; my husband walked all over town drinking from his the first time we were there. Yuck!)

The food’s nothing to rave about, but it’s okay, and for the reactions (and photo ops) from visitors, well worth it!

It would be a “shitty” spot to get the runs. :slight_smile:

Not sure I could stomach the food under such conditions , but Im sure its an experience.

So what do the real toilets in this place look like??? ovens???

Where is this place?

I notice they’re also using that weird Asian “swirly poop” theme. In the west, we think of turds as logs, not swirls! Hiiiii-de-ho!

I have been there a few times - good not great, I don’t go any more.

Oddly, the toilets are regular squatters with no embellishments; I was expecting something cool; there aren’t even “poo-poo” lamps in there. Maybe they’d consider it in poor taste. :unamused: The “basin” is a raised bathtub with a huge showerhead, though!

It’s in Ximending. I went there once. Wouldn’t go back again. The food sucks. And, my entree didn’t even come in a toilet bowl! It was served on a flat toilet cover plate sad face