Tom vs. Tom: Two British Artists Draw Maps of Taipei

Tom Rook and Tom Parker are both British artists living in Taiwan. Both have taken to drawing intricate maps of Taipei. Hats off to both of them! I still can’t decide which Tom’s works I prefer. They’re both appealing in their own ways. Not sure about Rook, but Parker has recently embarked on selling his works.

7 Likes

Ah. The analogue Tomtom GPS…

6 Likes

:drum: boom

2 Likes

p12-150909-ETaipei

7 Likes

So refreshing after looking at crappy google maps all the time.

1 Like

Also instead of Tom and Jerry we have Tom and Tom
But yes the TomTom one is great

1 Like

I kinda like the crappy google maps
Simple and easy to use

Functional, yes, but completely lacking in aesthetics. It’s getting harder and harder to remember that maps used to be art.

2 Likes

The Tom Rook map exhibition is located across from Daan Park in a building bookstore/coffee shop that is in itself worth a visit. Hint: Look for the giant book and dinosaurs.

森大青鳥
https://goo.gl/maps/Lh9Q1euE4QvnwUT76

3 Likes

Interesting article on hand-drawn maps of Taiwan that covers both Toms. It calls Rook’s maps precise and Parker’s fantastical.

3 Likes

Both maps would be useful in those old-style travel handouts in hotel lobbies.

This one could use improvements first glance.

Makes some smaller road appear larger and more useful than true like Yanji, and vice versa, minimizes some larger more useful important roads like Zhongxiao.

Barely recognizes the uniqueness and height of Shangri-la Hotel buildings.

1 Like

Looks like Tom Parker puzzle is out there somewhere.

1 Like

Looks like Parker is a much savvier marketer than Rook. I follow both of them on FB, and I’ve only gotten ads for Parker’s works.

Well damn I went by here and they canceled it early so nothing WTF.