Tóng Blossoms

Heard this is the time to see these in Tucheng and Sanxia, anyone know the places to go?

Beipu and Neiwan??? We went to Sanyi-Beipu last year and it was raining so we saw the blossoms on the ground but they were pretty though.

Hill at the back of my house down at Bitan is covered in blossoms right now. Plus, fireflies at night if its been a warm day.
Edit: Actually, the tóng blossoms are already nearly past there – its a bit warmer in that area than usual for some reason, so they come a bit earlier.

Pingxi is a good place to see them.

The hill where the temple is in Jingmei has the tóng trees in a very nice setting, with an old stone path in the back, great for pics. I have one of Toto covered in the flowers, really cute. And it is really close to the MRT.

[quote=“sandman”]Hill at the back of my house down at Bitan is covered in blossoms right now. Plus, fireflies at night if its been a warm day.
Edit: Actually, the tóng blossoms are already nearly past there – its a bit warmer in that area than usual for some reason, so they come a bit earlier.[/quote]
Yeah and we can all make a trip to the back of your house :laughing:

Anywhere in Miaoli is nice (got to get my Miaoli plug in). Be warned though, big crowds in popular spots such as SanYi.

Yeah, they were showing it on TV, complete with guides with portable speakers… like watching the dawn at Alishan… :noway:

We went to a ranch near Xinzhu today and even the hills around the highway were Tóng Blossomed :thumbsup:

I quite agree that Miaoli County has a lot going for it.

The 124 loop – a favorite drive of mine – is quite good for viewing tóng blossoms, esp. once you’re south of the town of Nanzhuang. I don’t know what it looks like right now though.

Sanyi, Taian Hot Springs, Pingxi and the little roads that connect north (33?. Sun Moon Lake even has tons of them on the lower slopes. Looks really beautiful.

But one of my favorite places is freeway 3 between Sanxia and taoyuan. The hills are practically white in places.

yeah wound up driving around pingxi area today, patches of them here and there, quite pretty.

Why is the spelling in the title different from before? Sure, “tong” is the proper Pinyin, but the English name for Vernicia fordii is “tung tree”. Just like we write “kung fu” and not “gongfu”.

If you’re in the Lotus Hills area, there are tong blossoms around the nearby lake, Cui4 Hu2.