Too Cold for Green Island?

Would it be a bad idea to head off to Green Island for Lunar new year? As for weather and things to do? Within the green island area?

we camped a few years back … not too bad, depends on the weather. there are hotels if it’s too cold. the hot springs in the ocean kept getting swamped with sea water though, so we rarely got to jump in.

the only caveat is the ride over. if it’s even a little windy, you will be on a boat with 200 + people blowing chunks everywhere. inside or outside the boat, bags full of yak, puke in people’s hair, just everyone doing the technicolor yawn. i’m fine on boats, but people puking all around me is what gets me … i had to get outside and focus on the horizon for a good hour, with my ears covered.

the way back was the same. even better, we were on a boat that you couldn’t escape outside, so the whole trip is spent “in the hold”.

if you or yours doesn’t like this little story, FLY! it’ll be worth the extra cost.

[quote=“xtrain_01”]
the only caveat is the ride over. if it’s even a little windy, you will be on a boat with 200 + people blowing chunks everywhere. inside or outside the boat, bags full of yak, puke in people’s hair, just everyone doing the technicolor yawn.[/quote]

He’s not kidding about this part…

I’ve been to Green Island twice during Chinese New Year, once in the early 90’s, and again 5 years ago. The weather was really variable for both trips…The last one was especially nice as a warm front moved through and we had 30C temperatures for 5 days in a row. :sunglasses:

On the other hand, I went once during Spring break and the temperature never broke 20C, with howling wind/rain for 5 straight days.

The diving will still be fantastic even in inclement weather, and I’ve never seen visibility there under 20 meters.