Torn arm tendon

I was joking to my hairdresser that I feel like a second hand car. This breaks down, that breaks down. Every week there is something else.

This week is a torn ligament/tendon on my right arm. How did I manage to do that? Dunno. Does not hurt unless I do certain movements -doc said no efforts no twisting moves are allowed.

So far, I’ve compiled an interesting list of stuff I can’t do: brush my teeth, take off my bra, open a bottle -duh!- and open and close the clothes pins.

Of course the doc did not send me painkillers. Asked my bro for recommendations on painkillers with anti inflammation properties. No reply yet.

Any advice from the exercise fan crowd would be appreciated.

1 Like

If you can get a prescription for these they are magical

Heat will help with the pain and healing. Take it easy and let it heal.

For brushing teeth, I found once that it was easier if I held the tooth brush with my right hand as usual, and then grabbed my right wrist with my left hand and used the good left arm to do the work. Sounds ridiculous, but worked for me

Burn the bras?

1 Like

You don’t need a prescription for diclofenac in Taiwan.

1 Like

Which joint?

Seems like you need to get special imaging to see exactly what has happened.

Don’t see how you wouldn’t need some kind of surgery to get this to heal properly.

Also, what were you doing and/or what is your condition that this would happen to begin with. Diet?

Sure hope you feel better and can heal fast

1 Like

if it is completely torn, you would need surgery to stitch it together, so I’m guessing it’s not that.

partial tears take a long time to heal. it is really important to limit stretchig that tendon at all until the repair is well underway, so you should try to immobilise that arm as much as possible. I suggest you wear an arm sling for a couple of weeks at least (make from a triangular bandage or a bandana, or from a strap).

become a left hander. Avoid typing with your right hand: the twisting of your wrist and flexing of your fingers for many hours as you type is almost unnoticeable but it will be stressing the tendon all day, which is not what you want.

i’ve had tennis elbow a few times, and it’s much the same treatment. unfortunately it takes months.

you can use any of the stronger antiinflammatories for pain relief and to break the inflammation cycle (muscle pain makes inflammation makes more pain makes more inflammation and that leads to scarring in the muscle and tendon).

So, diclofenac or indomethacin are good, don’t bother with taking aspirin and especially not acetaminophen (paracetamol) which is ineffective in this use. I don’t think either of them need prescription in Taiwan, as jimipresley said.

and why did you doctor not say this stuff to you? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

wish you speedy recovery

3 Likes

The imaging is important. Need proper evaluation. Some tendons tear the bone off. Tendon is still attached but it’s the bone that broke free.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice.

I’d wish. Got some sports bras.

Kind of twisted my wrist in bed. That’s the closest I can think of.
Yeah, sort of diet, low carb.

Yeah, that was my first question: what about work? I need to find a left handed mouse… But typing is unavoidable.

Oh you know how it is here. He showed me an image of empty gaps and white lines that did not connect. Language gap I guess. Sent me to therapy and wrapped my hand in a sling. Guess if I do not move the hand, there is no pain so no meds as all he said was do not move your hand.

:worried: So you may actually have had a full tear. Hmm, unless properly reattached with microsurgery under anaesthesia those may never heal properly… maybe go and get a second opinion from a surgeon?

2 Likes

I was going to suggest this… you have two hands as far as I can tell, so use the other one for a while. Good for your brain too.

Going off-topic, but recently I heard one interview with an Alzheimer’s researcher (NPR’s Fresh Air, I think?) who suggested brushing your teeth with your off hand as an example of things to do to delay or forestall cognitive decline - and more useful than crosswords or Sudoku, which apparently make you good at crosswords or Sudoku but have little protective value.

I did try it. Amusingly and annoyingly difficult.

3 Likes

Yeah, I suspected it and then I confirmed it at some point. Same with walking/hiking.

For extra points:

Try using chopsticks with your left hand.

3 Likes

Try wiping your arse with your wrong hand. It’s really tricky.

2 Likes

and messy and smelly

Japanese bidet is becoming a need, not a luxury.

1 Like

Switch your mouse over to the left hand side on the PC, and swap the buttons. Everyone who shares your computer will love it.

1 Like

Years ago, I had a desk job that used the mouse very extensively even on an hourly basis.
I just finally put it on the left side and quickly learned how to use a right-hand mouse with my left hand. The brain changes very quickly.

2 Likes

If I were you I’d get an appointment at NTU hospital, and be as clear as you can with explaining your symptoms, which areas hurt the most, and try to request an ultrasound.

I actually partially tore my distal bicep tendon a month ago (hiking accident). I knew something was very wrong, it swelled up and bruised up badly. Went to emergency on a Sunday evening, did X-rays but they looked normal. Next day I made the mistake of going to a regular clinic instead of a big hospital, assumed that a doctor at a physical therapy clinic with help of an ultrasound machine would be able to properly diagnose me. However she said it was probably just a strain and gave me basic heat/electric pulse therapy. First day I showed the physical therapist my slightly deformed bicep muscle and seemingly missing tendon in my arm, he suggested I go to another doctor for a second opinion. Went to another clinic, the doctor there also was pretty lazy with her inspection, put me on the same kind of physical therapy regiment.
I was certain there was some kind of tear, so decided to go to NTU hospital. The doctor there also didn’t appear to want to give a close inspection, I had to literally point out to him the deformity of my bicep and seemingly missing tendon in elbow area, he then realized it was more serious. Got a very thorough ultrasound (with 5 medical students observing), and finally got the proper diagnosis. A month after the accident I’m finally heading into the hospital tomorrow for a few day stay, hoping to have a successful operation on Wednesday.

Guess what I want to point out is that if you think there could be some kind of a tear, it’s best to go to a bigger hospital, and when you see the doctor don’t rely on their (often lazy) inspections of your arm. Show and explain exactly where it hurts, and see if they can get you in for an ultrasound, as it will give clearer answers. Hope we can both make a speedy recovery!

7 Likes

NTU is not my cup of tea but might go to a larger hospital if this does not show sign of improvement/gets worse.

Yep, as I said at the start, doctors here are in a rush with dozens of patients to see in an hour. I target my questions and enjoy what I can take, and switch places if so required is normal.

Couple more to the list of can’t:

Put on my earrings
Put on my makeup

Guess it is two more weeks with a mask.

They did ultrasound and x-ray. I am a bit concerned about the lines that should match but don’t.

I wish you the best in your operation. Hope we both recover fast and without further difficulties.

1 Like