Tour de France 2012

it’s easy to beat a lead out if you’re on their wheel, because that’s what they do: lead out, normally about two or three times as far out from the finish line as anyone could humanly win from. That’s their job.

it’s easy to beat a lead out if you’re on their wheel, because that’s what they do: lead out, normally about two or three times as far out from the finish line as anyone could humanly win from. That’s their job.[/quote]

I didn’t think he was on the tail of the Greipel lead out, but I was watching a poor quality internet feed and the only thing I saw was a bobbing pixelated yellow helmet! Oh and as a Brit, I have to really like our riders and sing their praises (win or lose). Doubt if we will see much of Cav today today though. Four cat 4 climbs today and the man don’t climb too good. The GC riders will try and cling to each other like limpets today. Love it.

British? he’s a Manxman!

(OK, i give in: he’s as British as I am. Seriously!)

And as for sprinters without a train: Robbie McEwen did that very well for many years. Pick the right wheel, then the next one, then the wheel of the guy who really thinks he’ll win today. And appear from nowhere just before the hammer goes down… that’s the hard part.

Tonight looks like fun. Gilbert, anyone?

[quote=“urodacus”]British? he’s a Manxman!

(OK, i give in: he’s as British as I am. Seriously!)

And as for sprinters without a train: Robbie McEwen did that very well for many years. Pick the right wheel, then the next one, then the wheel of the guy who really thinks he’ll win today. And appear from nowhere just before the hammer goes down… that’s the hard part.

Tonight looks like fun. Gilbert, anyone?[/quote]

:smiley:

He is happy to wear team GB, he has to be happy being called British.

McEwen could do wheelies so is actually better. I’m just impressed with Cav because it was a ‘solo’ victory whereas his usual way is being led-out, flipping tactics so to speak. He has played down his green jersey contention, but I don’t think anyone is taking their eye off him.

My money is on Sylvain Chavanel, he would possibly be in yellow if he can.

EBH for the win.

Its mayhem out there, Rojas just abandoned.

Well, nice misguided attack from Chav. That’s Sylvain, not Cav.

Nice, but a bit too early. Sagan wins again (totally not steroid assisted, honest!)

And i’d have to defend my earlier call for Phillipe Gilbert as being undone by an insole (not an asshole, fortunately). Why was he flapping his insole at the doctor?

[quote=“urodacus”]Well, nice misguided attack from Chav. That’s Sylvain, not Cav.

Nice, but a bit too early. Sagan wins again (totally not steroid assisted, honest!)

And I’d have to defend my earlier call for Phillipe Gilbert as being undone by an insole (not an asshole, fortunately). Why was he flapping his insole at the doctor?[/quote]

Yeah, Sagan really looks a little suspicious doesn’t he? That much effortless power punching up mountains usually means only one thing.

I hate to say it but Sky looked a shambles yesterday…sooner or later Wiggo is going to hit the floor. BMC seems to do a much better job of sticking together at the front and staying out of trouble.

So I was pretty pissed off when I tried to watch this on Eurosport via cable and it wasn’t on even though it is listed each night. Anyone know what gives? It’s like death by a thousand cuts here, each day brings some new little aggravation.

Anyway, I ended up using my VPN service to purchase the broadcast via NBC in the States. The stream is stable (not HD) and good enough I suppose.

[quote=“squall1”]So I was pretty pissed off when I tried to watch this on Eurosport via cable and it wasn’t on even though it is listed each night. Anyone know what gives? It’s like death by a thousand cuts here, each day brings some new little aggravation.

Anyway, I ended up using my VPN service to purchase the broadcast via NBC in the States. The stream is stable (not HD) and good enough I suppose.[/quote]

Yeah I was going to upgrade my cable but if they aren’t keeping to the schedule there’s no point. The streams were pretty unstable last night. I had to watch it in Italian for one part.

I went Italian last night, I can’t complain as I’m using streams from god knows where. What I do is have cyclingnews.com live feed in another window for commentary. Mostly woks.

That was a nasty crash near the end!

I dont understand it’s not showing on MOD but aboriginal girl writes its on Eurosports Asia and on TEN HD.

How can some people have it and not others. Is there some company that has TEN HD? I cannot see it on my MOD.
Certainly my MOD Eurosports doesn’t show it how come aboriginal girls Eurosports has it?

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this:

cyclingnews.com/news/report- … -armstrong

I may be wrong but I think this is the end of the road for Lance…Hincapie, Levi, Dave Z., and CVV all confess to doping and turn Queen’s evidence against Armstrong. There is no way he can weasel out of this now.

[quote=“the bear”]We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this:

cyclingnews.com/news/report- … -armstrong

I may be wrong but I think this is the end of the road for Lance…Hincapie, Levi, Dave Z., and CVV all confess to doping and turn Queen’s evidence against Armstrong. There is no way he can weasel out of this now.[/quote]

It’s as old as the race, to cheat. I’m pretty open-minded about the drugs for the benefit of improving sports performance. I think the whole thing needs to come out in the open. Allow certain drugs to benefit riders, they can then choose to do so, or not do anything dodgy. Ultimately under the current status-que it is very easy to fall down a slippery slope. These races are so hard and fast it’s almost impossible not to need some drugs to perform, as in day after day or just not cause damage to an athletes body. These might be growth hormone or a course of steroid. I think if the whole thing was open like that we could see the sport as it is, then from that point - deal with it. Constantly denying that anyone is taking drugs to achieve greater results in sports is almost a joke. Cycling takes the brunt of the doping scandals TBH.

Sagan. Again. Must be on the rainbow juice :rainbow:.*

These flat stages are relatively boring. Breakaway. Peloton catches breakaway. Sprint. There is something parasitic about the sprinters, hiding in the bunch for 200 kilometers before ‘winning’ the stage. Bastards. And then they go and get kissed by two French girls. The cameras never show what takes place after that though, do they? I think it is pretty obvious. French kissing and letters. Cancellara’s helmet has been adorned in yellow for six days now. And I imagine the girls must giggle at Morkov’s polkadots.

Sigh

Oh well, at least we’re in the mountains today.

Ask the bear

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]Sagan. Again. Must be on the rainbow juice :rainbow:.*

These flat stages are relatively boring. Breakaway. Peloton catches breakaway. Sprint. There is something parasitic about the sprinters, hiding in the bunch for 200 kilometers before ‘winning’ the stage. Bastards. And then they go and get kissed by two French girls. The cameras never show what takes place after that though, do they? I think it is pretty obvious. French kissing and letters. Cancellara’s helmet has been adorned in yellow for six days now. And I imagine the girls must giggle at Morkov’s polkadots.

Sigh

Oh well, at least we’re in the mountains today.

Ask the bear
.[/quote]

jesus when he did that hulk celebration yesterday he looked just like Ben Johnson at the 88 Olympics. He’s either a freak or he’s juicing. But to be fair his sprint yesterday was brilliant, ducking in and out of the line. Feel sorry for Gossy, Greenedge have been working so hard for him but even with Griepel completely smashed up he couldn’t do better than third.

Dunno about boring, yesterday it was as if a bomb went off in the peloton. I ain’t never seen that much carnage on the road. Wiggo was so lucky to have got himself to the front just before that crash. The entire Garmin team and the entire Rabobank team hit the floor in that stage. :astonished:

Jeez, Wiggins is looking good. Evans is going to have a hard time getting those 10 seconds back.

Reckon Wiggo’s lucky Froome lost time during the week; Froome looks even better. They could do this a few more times yet. Cadel has to find some extra kick from somewhere to have any chance but the problem is no one from BMC can help him once the hills kick up. Van Garderen had a shocker.

Evans was isolated but his tactics were perfect. Even though I find Evans very strange, he rode well. Wiggins and Sky seem to know what they’re doing now. They knew the tempo they needed yesterday. The next important date is the first ITT. This could extend the lead further and Evans will know this and today could be fun, there is a good Cat1 climb so hopefully it will produce some interesting racing I doubt if it’s long enough to cause any serious damage. Turning into a classic Tour this year. Last year was classic just for the carnage and an Australian winning. :smiley:

Awesome, frickin’ awesome day of racing yesterday. :thumbsup: Who agrees?
Nothing but attacks and counters off the front. Great ride by Pinot. Kessiakoff (sp?) was a monster, but he went way, way too early. He would have prolly beaten Pinot if he had hung back a bit. The leaders all look strong and it’s looking like they’re about evenly matched. Looking forward to the TT today. I’m hoping the leaders will stay close to make it interesting for the next week and a half.

I reckon Wiggo’s sideburns are performance enhancing.