Tour de France 2019

Of course you just know if he pulls it off they’re going to say he was very well prepared for the tour this year.

Interestingly I think he’s one of the riders on the ketones supplements.

Quickstep sports director was saying it would be super hard for AP to win this year since he used too much energy in the early stages and didn’t save up for later stages.

When I heard it I was very surprised ones team sports director would say that about their own riders. Trolling maybe?

I just read an article in French (so it should be optimistic), but most of the local press I read thinks he won’t win.

Automatic translation:
Tour de France 2019: “Alaphilippe can not win the Tour,” says Steve Chainel
Despite the feat of the yellow jersey winner of the time trial in Pau, his friend and consultant for Eurosport think he will pay his efforts in the third week.

Steve Chainel, 35, French champion of cyclo-cross 2018 and consultant for Eurosport is a great friend of Julian Alaphilippe. The feat of the yellow jersey during the time trial in Pau could not leave him insensitive.

It’s amazing what your friend did, right?

STEVE CHAINEL. No no. He finished 7th in the Dauphiné clock. He has already been in front of the best at the California Tour. The first eight kilometers were super-technical, very winding, with beautiful descents. We know that it is one of the best choppers in the world. After the party maybe more for the punchers was stack for him. Only in the last part did he have to spoil too much time on Geraint Thomas. And then he had the yellow jersey, it’s a surplus of motivation.

So you are not surprised?

Those who say who is surprised must look at the rankings of the last lap: there is nothing surprising. What will be surprising is if Sunday night he still has the jersey. There we will be able to say: he is able to go to win the Tour. But from the beginning, I say that Julian lives day by day. Today was a chrono for him. It was pile-hair what he likes.

Can he win the Tour?

No, no, he can not win the Tour. I wish with all my heart in the depths of myself that he wins this Tour. But do not dream.

The high mountains will be too difficult for him?

The thing is especially since the beginning of the Tour, he gives it all. At one point, we know very well that it is not possible. Ten, twelve, fourteen days pass. But in the last week he will inevitably go to bed. After, if it really gives us a Tour to Thomas Voeckler when he finished 4th in 2011 why not? There he is showing everyone that he is a big talent. But those who are surprised is that they did not know Julian Alaphilippe for 7-8 years, quite simply.

Well, he just pulled 36" on G so not too bad with a 1-2 French finish on the Tourmalet. it’s all down to recovery on the rest day, i think.

and keep taking those (totally legal) ketones.

1 Like

I think it’s time to back Egan Bernal to win the tour IMO.

What was the real story with Dennis? Tired , or annoyed that Nibali getting preferential treatment ?

No media has the info for now, but probably second option. Dennis said “it was the good decision to leave”.

Looks like G needs to ride support for Bernal.

Tbh I’d like to see a frog win this thing. This Kenyan/Welsh dominance is boring.

2 Likes

Alaphilippe is done.

Pinot the boss.

100th running of the TdF… I’d be happy to see either of the French charge in yellow in Paris next week.

Alaphilippe probably won’t last but for the moment, can I gloatingly point to my predictions above: at least 3 are still correct!

Sagan for Green.

Van Aert (Sorry, mate) or Alaphilippe for Yellow.

Uran for Polka (hard to call!).

Bernal for White.

Guess I F’d up on the Uran call. He’s so hard to read. Who will get that now? Surely not Wellens.

Have a look at Matt White in this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-fjZDfsKPM&t=325s

I don’t know what’s got into him. It’s like he’s auditioning for Hollywood.

Did you see Landa pass Quintana? Not a look…not a word. Valverde, same thing. Must have been a nice atmosphere at the dining table last night.

1 Like

Movistar in surprise leadership role confusion.

Every year they fuck it up in exactly the same way.

1 Like

nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

Go young Yates :slightly_smiling_face:

who is the younger one?

Everyone appears to be younger than myself , Sir :pensive:

Great stage win by Quintana.
He accelerated so very quickly up the last climb.
His teammates, from whom he’s probably leaving after this year, screwed him out of more time gained on the yellow midway through the race as they helped the peloton try to chase down his lead group.

1 Like

Bernal the boss.

Nice of G to lead the chase down. :joy: