😮 Tourist Experience | What is unusual for Taiwanese people when they see tourists?

Really? I didn’t find Tokyo Westernized at all, especially given how little English they speak there. It felt like the whole country was living in a bubble. Even the urban planning was very Japanese. Narrow streets didn’t have sidewalks, which you’ll never find in the West. Also, everybody drove tiny Japanese cars you won’t find in the West. Everything in the city was also very high-tech (vending machines that accepted mobile payment, etc.) which you rarely see in the West.

Although I must admit I did find it surprising how much English I saw on signages and buildings. Not as much as HK but more than Taipei. Definitely was expecting everything to be written in Japanese only.

1 Like

Who pays attention to footwear? The whole reason Andy Dufresne in ‘Shawshank Redemption’ broke out is no one paid attention to his shiny loafers when he was being returned to his prison cell. I can’t even remember the color of my own shoes and they’re sitting by my door.

1 Like

They eat more Western food in Tokyo , bread especially. but yeah not sure if I would call it ‘westernised’. Liking beer , cigs and bars more Westernised…possibly…although more like an old version of the West. It’s 5x cleaner than most places in Asia which also makes it stick out.

Some people do, actually. :man_shrugging:

I’ve found it weird too, and I’ve been surprised when people notice I have new shoes. I don’t pay any attention at all to what others have on their feet. I’d probably eventually notice oversized clown shoes or really ugly rubber flip flops or something, but that’s about it.

1 Like

people also paid attention to sandals I bought on Taobao, guys looking at my feet was weird , cos they had never seen that brand before (China has a lot of innovative good and cheap footwear).
ALSO my kid got people asking them where their shoes were from, turned out they were a copy of some famous/rare sneakers.
yeah many Taiwanese are obsessed about apparel and brands.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess some people are pretty brand-conscious, especially here and in China.

If a guy I don’t know well starts talking to me about my shoes, complimentarily or otherwise, I’m probably going to immediately make a mental note to cut him out of my life as a boring conversationalist. :man_shrugging:

Asking questions like “what is considered funny or unusual whenever there are tourists in taiwan or in taipei?”

7 Likes

Wearing t-shirt inside out. Breaks the matrix.

@user86, not sure when / what parts of the west you’re talking about, but:

This is pretty common lots of places “in the west”.

Most vending machines I see these days take mobile payment.

That said, I never really associate either one of those things with western / not western / japanese / anything really.

Didn’t you say in another thread that people were laughing at you for wearing a rain jacket? And now you’re saying they were laughing at you for wearing boots? I think you may need to consider that maybe people don’t actually give a shit about you and it’s all in your head. Nobody in any country is going to laugh at you for things like that.

8 Likes

So what does “westernized” mean to you?

For me, the “west” is USA and Canada because I’ve never been to Europe.

If I see something that stands out in Japan that I’ve never seen in the US and Canada (tiny cars, high-tech toilets, high-tech parking spaces, high-tech vending machines, no sidewalks, non-English speaking population), then it’s Japanese to me.

If I see something that is also common in the US and Canada (eg. large American SUVs, wide streets, complex and extensive highways, English signs, English-speaking population eating with forks and knives) then it’s “westernized” to me.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Guy

Women

People in airports are often in a state of heightened emotions. They either just landed and are relieved, they are meeting loved ones and are elated, etc If you are a wheelchair user they may have been pointing at that. Is that possible? It does seem unlikely that bunches of random people will place your boots at the centre of their conversation.

2 Likes

Depends on the boots? :thinking:

2 Likes

Phwoar!

1 Like

Boots are everywhere in Taiwan from the girls wearing mini skirts to the fishmonger at the wet market.

Who’s laughing are you at the airport and how did you notice so many people doing it?

1 Like

I knew a guy who hit a couple over the head with an umbrella because they were laughing at him.

He also head butted someone because he was laughing at him.

He even pushed a kid in the 7 11 because the kid said Hey Man. The kid was laughing at him.

Taiwanese people love to laugh at foreigners. Or…….some people are just paranoid

5 Likes

And then again, there are boots.

1 Like

In hindsight, looking at photos like that, and imagining how uncomfortable that would have been to wear, those guys really did earn their $$$$$. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes