Tourist sub lost at Titanic site

I saw this on Twitter and thought: fake news. Nope. They really have tourist and research subs going down to the site of the Titanic resting place. And now one of the subs is missing.

6 Likes

That sounds terrifying. The “tourists” on board must be having quite the authentic Titanic experience for their $250k tickets now though.

Hopefully they can find them in time, but it looks tricky. I guess there aren’t many vessels that can go to the depths needed, let alone mount a recovery. I wonder what the rescue protocol is for situations like this.

1 Like

I mean, they don’t even know where they are. This looks bad.

Such a tragedy. Does anyone know where the submarine was manufactured? What likely went wrong?

Uber rich people… One of them flown to space. 250k USD a pop. Cry me a river.

Yeah, they have to locate them (in the dark) and find some way to get down there and bring them back up (or at least transfer oxygen supplies over, if that’s even possible underwater). It doesn’t look promising.

It looks like they don’t know yet. I just read “As of now, contact has been lost with their submersible craft and there is limited information available”.

There’s also some more info here:

In the case of becoming tangled, or a power or communications failure, the Titan would be equipped with drop weights, which can be released in an emergency, creating enough buoyancy to take it to the surface. The Titan has an array of signals, lighting, reflectors and other equipment it can use once on the surface to attract attention.

Another scenario is that there has been a leak in the pressure hull, in which case the prognosis is not good, said Alistair Greig, a professor of marine engineering at University College London.

“If it has gone down to the seabed and can’t get back up under its own power, options are very limited,” Greig said. “While the submersible might still be intact, if it is beyond the continental shelf, there are very few vessels that can get that deep, and certainly not divers.”

Chris Parry, a retired rear admiral with the British Royal Navy, told Sky News a seabed rescue was “a very difficult operation”.

“The actual nature of the seabed is very undulating. Titanic herself lies in a trench. There’s lots of debris around. So trying to differentiate with sonar in particular and trying to target the area you want to search in with another submersible is going to be very difficult indeed.”

2 Likes

Lost?

I’m sure they know exit destination is up.

It’s pretty horrific. Would you be sadder if poor school kids were inside?

2 Likes

But it was their choice to do this for “adventure”, same as people climbing Himalayas and needing rescue. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

And no, it wouldnt be better if it were poor kids. But think how many poor kids could have had a hot meal, clothes etc for the cost of this adventure.

3 Likes
2 Likes

“Harding flew to space as part of the Blue Origin NS-21 mission, on 4 June 2022, on the fifth spaceflight of the New Shepard rocket.”

"These interstellar thrills come at a cost, though: An 11-minute space flight may emit up to 1,100 tons of greenhouse gases per passenger. "

Cry me a river.

Well and good. But why enjoy or celebrate their pain and suffering?

Ahh, you’re one of those people who think they know how to spend other people’s money?

1 Like

The ocean tends to absorb lots of carbon. It’s proven now.

If only they had died younger!

When did I enjoy or celebrate this? And no, I dont tell other people how to spend their money. But they made their choice, now they have to live with it, or not. How much do u think rescue operations will cost?

4 Likes

Nobody is saying that, but they chose to pay quite a lot of money to visit a place that’s famously dangerous and difficult to get to, presumably for the experience and/or bragging rights. They surely knew and accepted the risks, one of which has now become real.

I agree it sounds terrifying and I’d prefer it hadn’t happened, but I also find it hard to muster up that much sympathy. I guarantee that everybody discussing it here has now spent more mental time and effort thinking about these people’s problems than they’ve spent thinking about ours.

Now there’s what’s going to be an extremely expensive rescue/recovery operation going on, because these “tourists” wanted to have a unique adventure. No idea who pays for that (some mixture of the company, insurers, and governments I suppose).

8 Likes

When did I actually reply to you? Oh right, you answered my post to the old guy.

I recall a million dollar dog rescue years ago.

And in this case, I imagine they’re smashed like an empty beer can by now.

And you accused me of 2 things I didnt say/do. But, whatever man, just post shit online and dont take responsibility for ur words.

I started reading what could have happened to them. Don’t do it.

Suffice to say it is horrid.

There is no hatch. They could have sunk in mud.

They’re 13,000 feet down.