Toxic rice wine kills 25 in Bali

A bit of a Travel Alert in case anyone is going to or knows of anyone in Bali:

Toxic rice wine kills 25 in Bali

Another good argument in favor of good government regulation. (Indeed, it shows how government regulation, when carried out wrongly, can cause harm, but when carried out correctly, is beneficial to society.)

Guess I’d better stay away from that side of the Danshui River Estuary!

[quote=“Chris”]Another good argument in favor of government regulation.

Guess I’d better stay away from that side of the Danshui River Estuary![/quote]

I think you mean “over-regulation”

“However, it has become especially popular after an Indonesian government crackdown on imported alcohol, with a 500 per cent liquor excise putting regular spirits and wine out of many people’s budgets.”

I have a surfing buddy who went blind for an afternoon after drinking the stuff- it was an easy afternoon converting him to Allah. What’s next regulating modeling glue so can’t sniff it? Oh wait a minute…

[quote=“Chris”]Another good argument in favor of good government regulation. (Indeed, it shows how government regulation, when carried out wrongly, can cause harm, but when carried out correctly, is beneficial to society.)

Good enough for a government job. The Hindu-Balinese need to shit-can their Islam-loving masters so the average muslim can enjoy a drink after beating their third wife or kicking a dog.

That reminds me of the time I celebrated the 4th of July on the beach in Kuta getting the local lads drunk all of whom were muslim except for a catholic Dyak lad from Borneo who I gave swimming lessons to in exchange for proper headhunting techniques.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”][quote=“Chris”]Another good argument in favor of government regulation.

I think you mean “over-regulation”

“However, it has become especially popular after an Indonesian government crackdown on imported alcohol, with a 500 per cent liquor excise putting regular spirits and wine out of many people’s budgets.”[/quote]

The government failed in two respects: a) applying an outrageous import tax of 500% on imported liquor; and b) failing to regulate the local arak industry to prevent malicious people from cutting product with poison.

Was someone trying to hurt people here, or was it a case of mistaken/ignorant/etc usage of industrial alcohol?