TRACERT command...see if the NSA is tracking you!

Is your internet traffic going through the US Government’s NSA switch at A.T.&T.'s San Francisco office? :raspberry:

check it out:

get to a DOS prompt…

Now type tracert followed by the domain name of the website, e-mail host, VoIP switch, or whatever destination you’re interested in. Watch as the program spits out your route, line by line.

for example:

C:> tracert forumosa.com

[quote]The magic string you’re looking for is sffca.ip.att.net. If it’s present immediately above or below a non-att.net entry, then – by Klein’s allegations – your packets are being copied into room 641A, and from there, illegally, to the NSA.

Of course, if Marcus is correct and AT&T has installed these secret rooms all around the country, then any att.net entry in your route is a bad sign. [/quote]

above tip from:
http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/index.blog?entry_id=1510938

Is it really illegal…??? My servers dont come up there at least…

the situation is very controversial, and many (including myself) think that it is illegal to eavesdrop on citizens who are not suspects in a criminal case. My opinion is similar to that espoused in the URL below:

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/nsaspying/23989res20060131.html

…after I posted the TRACERT command to this thread i realized that perhaps it would not be applicable to those of you accessing the 'net from overseas? Your traffic would automatically go through some intelligence agency’s routers/switches while accessing something located within the US. I could be wrong… :unamused:

I was told once in the way back when, that “all” (I’m not exactly sure how much all is) interent trackffic going in and coming out of the US is monitored like that.

I heard this about 6 years ago. Sucks, but I don’t think “they” have the processing power to sort all of that information into anything so refined as to report anything about my surfing activities… yet. My point being is there must be mountains of data to go through and it would take one whopper of a red flag to have them investigate anything.

I did a tracert to a US server and saw what you were looking for.

Back in my tech support days (“Mam, is your monitor on? … Oh, that fixed it? Have a nice day?”) I was told that “they” (the NSA, CIA, MIB, etc.) came and installed some “black box” that was used for sniffing customer emails. It was even legal some how… I think :S.

[quote=“Another commentor from the Wired article”]AT&T and Verizon are both being tapped by the NSA. Also, the NSA is more than likely tapping all internet traffic at every major internet backbone. The information is taken and archived in buildings housing massive hd arrays which is then catagoried and searched against certain keywords, and phrases. The internet is military first, consumer second, third, or forth. You would have to be the dumbest motherf*cker on earth to think that the interent is a secure way to send any private information, there’s no way a real terrorist would ever be caught sending important information on the internet.

These wire taps aren’t for catching terrorists anyway, it’s for removing privacy from people’s lives and funding some dumb corporations next big project while putting more money into the pockets of the senators and congressmen who okay this stuff. The NSA should spend more time investigating US officials and less time investigating their hired “terrorist” fall guys.[/quote]
I’ve always thought the same thing. I really can’t imagine many terrorists (worth their salt in spreading terror) would get caught sending sensitive information over the net in an easily sorted and searched manner.

Illegal or not, it’s happening and will continue to happen. It’s not just citizens of the US that get eavesdropped on, it’s everyone.

[/quote]

Any way to print the output? Mine routes through four att.nets, and the string above sffca.ip.att.net is a mysterious looking address that’s probably room 641A.

This is all very disturbing…sounds like China…

So, to the Americans among you, are you actively raising your concerns with elected officials in the States…or are you just hoping that you are not being monitored…?

At a guess you’re talking about Carnivore, the FBI email-sniffing software (maybe it was a box? I don’t know) that ISPs had to run. There was lots of paranoia about them needing custom software so that they could work around the law, until eventually it turned out that they needed custom software because existing commercial email sniffing software was too intrusive and they couldn’t legally use it.

The whole thing was very silly, as usual.

And you’re right - there’s no way in heck they could even store all the traffic they monitor, let alone analyse it. They’re just running heuristics on it and looking for obviously suspect activity.

Yep, that’s what it was. I was trying to think of the name so I my story was deeper than “a black box.” Thanks :slight_smile:

[How Carnivore Email Surveillance Worked]

Why do you hate freedom? :wink:

Damn the New York Times! And damn Forumosa! For revealing state secrets! :smiley:

People wonder if mainland China will become more like the USA…
in fact the USA is rapidly becoming more like totalitarian China.

The bottom line is they listen to all your phone calls, and store all your emails,
regardless of if you go through that switch in San Francisco. Surely that’s not
the only Telco central office with a secret NSA room in it.

If you’re not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about… :beatnik:

Do all cowboys think the same?

If I’m not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me. Or does watching people gets you (and Cheney) off…

You seem to be saying that privacy is about hiding a wrong. It’s not. Privacy is an inherent human right, and a requirement for maintaining the human condition with dignity and respect. But what would the Bush regime know about that?

If I’m not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me. Or does watching people gets you (and Cheney) off…[/quote]tsk tsk tsk…such a repugnant reply. Personal insults seem to be the extant of your discussion abilities. Reasoning and logic combined with a sense of situational awareness is obviously outside your realm. More’s the pity.

[quote=“Toe Tag”]You seem to be saying that privacy is about hiding a wrong. It’s not.[/quote]NO…you are the one making that assumption.
You also appear to be unaware of the current state of world and state events. Although its convienent for your agenda driven spiel to ignore the fact that there is a terrible war occuring, and that there are a world-wide net of terrorist organizations and their supporters comunicating with each other, you would reduce efforts to combat and remove these threats to normal human life by a pitiful whining about your ‘rights to privacy.’
How ludicrous. How are your ‘rights to privacy’ being impacted? Let alone being restricted or halted? Tell us…Can you?

[quote=“Toe Tag”] Privacy is an inherent human right, and a requirement for maintaining the human condition with dignity and respect.[/quote]Says who? Prove it. Lofty rhetoric…I see you posting nothing to support this nebulous claim. Do it.[quote=“Toe Tag”]But what would the Bush regime know about that?[/quote]Afghani elections, Iraqui elections. Women just voted in Kuwait. Perhaps you need to spend less time assembling these paranoid fantasies you appear to wallow in and actually familiarize your self with what is really happening in the world.
Just a thought.

If I’m not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me. Or does watching people gets you (and Cheney) off…[/quote]tsk tsk tsk…such a repugnant reply. Personal insults seem to be the extant of your discussion abilities. Reasoning and logic combined with a sense of situational awareness is obviously outside your realm. More’s the pity.[/quote]
I was going to reply to this originally, but you (TC) didn’t write enough for me to be sure that was your “official” stance, so I opted out. I think people do/should have something to worry about.

You’re correct that a person doesn’t need to worry about their house being raided if their not doing anything wrong. The thing I think people should be worried about is WHO has access to all this information and WHAT is it exactly that they will do with it. Even if the WHO and the WHAT is something that is totally agreeable and for the good of the human race, what happens when the WRONG people get their hands on this information (which always happens.)

Credit fraud and identity theft are good examples of information collect for one use gone bad. If you do a little reading about Social Engineering/Human Hacking, it gets scary to think about what can be done to most people with a little personal information about them.

[quote=“securityfocus.com”]A True Story

One morning a few years back, a group of strangers walked into a large shipping firm and walked out with access to the firm’s entire corporate network. How did they do it? By obtaining small amounts of access, bit by bit, from a number of different employees in that firm. First, they did research about the company for two days before even attempting to set foot on the premises. For example, they learned key employees’ names by calling HR. Next, they pretended to lose their key to the front door, and a man let them in. Then they “lost” their identity badges when entering the third floor secured area, smiled, and a friendly employee opened the door for them.

The strangers knew the CFO was out of town, so they were able to enter his office and obtain financial data off his unlocked computer. They dug through the corporate trash, finding all kinds of useful documents. They asked a janitor for a garbage pail in which to place their contents and carried all of this data out of the building in their hands. The strangers had studied the CFO’s voice, so they were able to phone, pretending to be the CFO, in a rush, desperately in need of his network password. From there, they used regular technical hacking tools to gain super-user access into the system.
[Continue article here][/quote]

People with access to the kind of information that can/will be collected from the Internet by scanning emails/phone calls/surfing habits/etc. will have “a key to all doors” (yours too.) Assuming that key stayed in the “right hands” I suppose that wouldn’t be so bad, but keys like that never stay in the right hands. I don’t think right hands exist for keys like that (copious amounts of personal information.)

MTK -
hanks for the reasoned reply. And I agree completely with the points you have brought out.
Information gathering is an aspect of todays world that is not going to go away. The tools for gathering info/intel are readily available from the most rudimentary to the most technologically advanced.
The clearly defining element is - Who is gathering what and for what purpose(s).

I put forth that the situation described in your post is of a vastly different nature from that of the USA(and other foreign states involved) gathering the financial, and any other related intel, information on known/suspected terrorist actors and states. Apples & oranges.

BTW - great family tree pc’s.

At first, I thought that sffca.ip.att.net was just an AT&T router in San Fransisco, part of the internet backbone. But then I did some Google searching, and I found out that it really is a secret NSA splitter, hidden inside Room 641A of an AT&T central office building in San Fransisco, as part of a covert program to secretly collect data from e-mail and internet browsing without the need of a search warrant.

There is a lot of information about this written in a recent article in “Wired News”:

wired.com/news/technology/0,70944-0.html

Here’s an excerp from the first page of that article:

[quote]In 2003 AT&T built “secret rooms” hidden deep in the bowels of its central offices in various cities, housing computer gear for a government spy operation which taps into the company’s popular WorldNet service and the entire internet. These installations enable the government to look at every individual message on the internet and analyze exactly what people are doing. Documents showing the hardwire installation in San Francisco suggest that there are similar locations being installed in numerous other cities.

The physical arrangement, the timing of its construction, the government-imposed secrecy surrounding it and other factors all strongly suggest that its origins are rooted in the Defense Department’s Total Information Awareness (TIA) program which brought forth vigorous protests from defenders of constitutionally protected civil liberties last year:

"As the director of the effort, Vice Adm. John M. Poindexter, has described the system in Pentagon documents and in speeches, it will provide intelligence analysts and law enforcement officials with instant access to information from internet mail and calling records to credit card and banking transactions and travel documents, without a search warrant." The New York Times, 9 November 2002[/quote]

If I’m not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me. Or does watching people gets you (and Cheney) off…[/quote]tsk tsk tsk…such a repugnant reply. Personal insults seem to be the extant of your discussion abilities. [/quote]

Extant seeems to be the extent of your spelling abilities.

I don’t trust your or Bush’s concept of right and wrong.

And let’s remember that you fascists are not just watching this information, you are creating a permanent database of it. The government’s conception of what is illegal keeps changing. No sane man would trust it. Now that you are throwing people into Guantanamo with no trial or due process, or rendering them abroad for torture. Get real.

For all this information you’ve gathered, for all these 5 years of a war on terror, where are all these terrorists you’re supposed to be catching? The so called “war on terror” is actually a thin tissue of lies intended to cover up the rape of the constitution and bill of rights. By destroying our freedom, you’ve actually done more to further Bin Laden than he could have hoped for.

[quote]Afghani elections, Iraqui elections. Women just voted in Kuwait. Perhaps you need to spend less time assembling these paranoid fantasies you appear to wallow in and actually familiarize your self with what is really happening in the world.
Just a thought.[/quote]

i always thought only brainwashing would make somebody believe in such fantasist’s excuses… :loco:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]At first, I thought that sffca.ip.att.net was just an AT&T router in San Fransisco, part of the internet backbone. But then I did some Google searching, and I found out that it really is a secret NSA splitter, hidden inside Room 641A of an AT&T central office building in San Fransisco, as part of a covert program to secretly collect data from e-mail and internet browsing without the need of a search warrant.

There is a lot of information about this written in a recent article in “Wired News”:

wired.com/news/technology/0,70944-0.html[/quote]

Yep it’s so secret we all know about it :loco: :loco: