Tragic death of a foreign woman. No news coverage

RIP young soul.

For reflection, as with the judo coach, if there is no media involved then they don’t have to do their job. And in Taiwan unfortunately most things only get done if there is a risk of losing face. Since there were no news about it no risk of that for the police. Shameful.

They probably thought a lone foreigner who had no family in Taiwan wouldnt be able to have her accident noticed since they can’t communicate in the language and have no knowledge of the system.

Good thing the parents of the American victim of the Hualien crash is pushing media attention to her tragic death and responsibility to be taken by the TRA.

Taiwan organizations: We foreigners know our obligations and rights.

12 Likes

I saw this in my Facebook feed. It seems they are trying to raise money to get her transported back home.

6 Likes

The relatives usually make a big deal in the media so thst was missing here. Unfortunately this kind of accident isn’t that unusual (even though I noticed the saving face aspect at work here ), trucks seem to account for a large number of the scooter rider deaths in Taiwan and they focus on this in the 2 hour video tutorial for the test.
They tell scooter riders to drive behind and keep a distance from trucks and buses and never drive inside their turning circle or park in front of them (all easier said than done and I think the truck driver was at fault here ).

4 Likes

did she have a license?

For an accident like this having a license isn’t counted as being very important.

14 Likes

Reminds me of the government program to stop pedestrians getting run over. Basically telling pedestrians to run across the road instead of getting the cars to slow down / stop. I guess its easier to blame the smaller person /vehicle than to get drivers to take actual responsibility.

Never park in-front of them? In the box which is designated for scooters to stop?
Honestly it’s pretty hard to keep distance from buses and trucks. They switch multiple lanes without warning, especially buses. This truck driver seemed to have the same habits.

I am upset at the coverage since they included the video of the accident but yes, coverage was very limited and a friend of her raised the issue on Ptt.

Long time resident, entrepreneur, hard working young woman. Very sad.

If you guys can help donate, please do. Every bit helps. It is too expensive to be sent home in a box and her family needs closure.

3 Likes

no news tell she didn’t.

more like was she aware of the danger on Taiwans roads…i feel some foriegners need more education on how dangerous the roads are in taiwan to avoid further tragic things, this is why i dont even drive a scooter.

2 Likes

Wow this is awful.

Yeah. Us dumb foreigners have no idea how dangerous the roads are in Taiwan. Maybe you could put together a manual or instructional video for us? Preferably in English, as none of us can read Chinese.

16 Likes

bull freaking :poop: . Tainan is not a place with good public transit. People need alternate forms of transit. The roads are dangerous, sure, but this would only be the trillionth case of the driver of a massive truck signaling at the same time he switches lanes without bothering to check to see if there’s someone in his blind spot

4 Likes

if she went for the test the previous poster said that there is 2 hours dedicated to education ? is that true they really spend 2 hours on education about dangerous driving. i dont think im the right person to write a manual, but it looks like the wild west on the roads. if its the trillionth time, then yeah i think maybe people need to be told… be careful out there.

1 Like

She is not someone who came to Taiwan this year. She had been here for years to study and work.

3 Likes

Did you see the video? the truck driver was at fault.

We foreigners don’t have the internet. We rely heavily on the dangerous driving video when we do the test. It teaches us that the roads in Taiwan can be dangerous.

1 Like

Yeah they make you watch a ton of videos of scooterists getting slammed by trucks and flying 50 feet into the air to their deaths. No one thought about educating the truck drivers and fining their asses any and every time they don’t do a shoulder check or use their turn signal

10 Likes

I know :neutral_face:. Truck drivers can’t actually see scooters parked right in front of them.

1 Like

They probably are told to look out but then you see the industries such as gravel mining and concrete mixing and the employers and employees and the police and you see the problem.

1 Like

Your comments are coming across as quite insensitive @oldboy1 for someone so young to lose their life in such a tragic manner my thoughts are with the family who will be grieving and as @Icon mentioned will need help to bring back her body and bring closure.

Although it would be nice if someone was in her corner to push the company that owns the cement truck to immediately put up that cash.

15 Likes