Tragic train crash in Hualien on April 2, 2021

Sometimes that’s the only place you can stop for a short bit. As long as someone is in the car to move it in case of an emergency, whatever.

Ah, this explains the pic search:

Nonsense.

Someone in this thread said the contractor might have been running an illegal tire dump. I was curious myself about the tires but then again, this is Taiwan where there’re always dodgy or weird things everywhere one looks.

It was a Taroko Express, not a Puyuma… Focus, focustaiwan…!

1 Like

The reference to the Puyuma train seems to be in relation to the terrible accident that occurred back in October 2018:

A Puyuma Express train derailed in Yilan County on Oct. 21, 2018 resulting in 18 fatalities and nearly 300 injuries. An investigation later showed that the accident was caused by speeding and technical malfunctions on the train.

Guy

1 Like

Maybe I should focus then… :blush:

3 Likes

I still cannot understand why that idiot parked where he parked when he had so many other options.

Green: Safe
Red: Unsafe.

Even if there was little chance that his truck would hit a train, there was still the possibility that the front-heavy truck could roll down the slope and hit something else, meaning at a minimum a damaged truck. Why would he risk damaging his own truck? Probably has parked on slopes a thousand times without incident and the possibility of a failing hand brake never crossed his mind?

Has anyone else noticed security guards on the train crossings now?

They have been on many for yonks. Both level crossings at Yingge have a man in uniform who appears each time the crossing bells activate.

First time I’ve noticed one in Neili.

That’s right. As you say, Mr Li has probably done this at various locations a thousand times with no consequences. However, he failed to anticipate the possibility of something going wrong here. It is tragic.
I’d also like to know whether the site manager had taken the initiative to warn workers not to park on that slope. After all, the site manager is ultimately responsible for on-site safety. Given that you have express trains whizzing along that track nearby all the time it was really important to try and anticipate the errors people might make, like parking on that slope.

Nice italicization of anticipate :sunglasses:

Preventative safety is everything.

It’s definitely his criminal negligence.
However I think there’s a major case against TRA for securing their contract work sites properly and enforcing safety.

3 Likes

It’s possible that there was no responsible safety officer from TRA and this dickhead was the site manager.

2 Likes

Seeminglly most contractors in Taiwan do not have trained (site) safety managers.
What he did was an obvious no no even to us non professionals.

1 Like

Trains also run under (Northbound most of the time) should some ground effects with heavy trains running under if parked under the Northbound tunnel.

Apparently they were in the process of loading something onto the crane and the item fell off, bringing the truck with it. They also had 5 minutes to inform TRA or move the truck.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe he was the site manager, and if so he definitely is an idiot and deserves whatever legal sanction he’s got coming.
And what you say about not having safety officers is probably true. I feel it’s a widespread problem here, I mean not being able to anticipate accidents or danger that have not been experienced before.