Tragic train crash in Hualien on April 2, 2021

Is that what happened? I got that it rolled into it, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

The safety precautions for the construction site, is the TRA responsible for that? Probably, right?

Most likely a combination of bad judgement (by the truck driver or whoever is in charge of maintaining that truck), lack of oversight, and really, really bad luck and bad timing. I’d like to know how the truck came down there, like was it parked on the slope? Was it empty or loaded? Was it old and unsafe? Was the driver drunk or unstable? Was this a deliberate act? Did another truck hit the truck? Was it hit by a huge boulder? When did it hit the tracks? Did the train conductor have any time to react? Did the emergency brakes on the train fail? Who is in charge of that construction site? Has he a history of bad decisions? So many questions. But it’s all academic, really. No explanations will ease the suffering of the people affected the most.

8 Likes

Thats a good point.

2 Likes

That is the first image that pops into many of our minds as we read about this. But there have been no reports confirming the truck rolled into the train.

We only know a good portion of the truck is embedded into the smashed front of the train with a few pieces scattered outside the tunnel.

That could mean it was a direct forward hit…train into truck, which could mean it was sitting on the tracks before the collision.

1 Like

I don’t know, but something smells fishy to me. I don’t think this was an accident. Sabotage maybe.

Feel sad for all the people who died and are injured.

https://archive.is/20210402114744/https://news.pts.org.tw/article/430483

最後更新:2019-05-01 18:49
Taiwan Railways Administration has announced that it will begin selling standing tickets on its new Puyuma Express and Taroko Express trains for its Tze-chiang express train service starting on May 2. In the past, the TRA did not sell standing tickets, citing safety reasons. It explains it changed its mind in order to better meet the demand during peak seasons after confirming there were no safety issues.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, it made international news. Saw it on CNN and NBC too.

1 Like

Could somebody post the location of where the crash happened? I can’t find it in the bbc news article

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hualien+City,+Hualien+County,+970/@24.2179892,121.6873735,694m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x34689fb4359f4e3d:0x1f485403f80b7771!8m2!3d23.9910732!4d121.6111949

1 Like

Names of victims are published.

I see they’ve adopted the Taiwanese hospital style of pretending to anonymize the foreigner’s name…

3 Likes

Do you know why they did/do that?

In case family/friends have not yet been notified?

Only 28 years old.

1 Like

For hospitals or for cases like this? My understanding was for some degree of anonymity, i.e., in this case, so the full names aren’t available to the media before family members etc. are properly informed.

It’s just another case of foreign names not being considered when designing the systems - obscuring one character may be useful for the names of Taiwanese people, but not so much for a typical foreign name. I can’t imagine there are too many French males in Taiwan with the same first 11 letters in their name as this passenger.

For hospitals it’s somewhat excusable since it’s all automated, but this list was presumably generated manually and I think they would have been better just giving the first name or “French male” or something.

1 Like

Why?

So as not to violate anonymity laws here.

1 Like

Ah I see. I can’t speak Chinese so I didn’t realise they omitted some characters from the Taiwanese victims names to provide them anonymity too.

Thanks for the info.

If it’s due to human error I will not be surprised it’s because of a overworked driver who earns peanuts and work at least double the amount of anyone here. Just saying until I have the details I’m not blaming the driver.

1 Like

I agree. Must suck to be the driver right now.