Trail closures in Taroko Gorge and elsewhere

I’m sure there is no one wanting to go climb a mountian in Taroko Gorge National Park at the moment, but if you were planning a trip in the next couple weeks I would check this website before you go:

taroko.gov.tw/English/?mm=0&sm=0&page=3

All trails closed. Went to get some permits for some guests this morning and the whole system is in shut down. Can’t even get permits for a month from now. Just a warning to anyone who might be making a trip down there in the next few weeks. I’m sure it will be fine after 2 or 3 weeks, but check before you go. The high mountains got close to 500mm of rain over the last couple days…

Uh I was thinking of doing a day trip Monday. Does this mean don’t bother/save it for next time?

[quote=“HualienOutdoors”]I’m sure there is no one wanting to go climb a mountian in Taroko Gorge National Park at the moment, but if you were planning a trip in the next couple weeks I would check this website before you go:

All trails closed. Went to get some permits for some guests this morning and the whole system is in shut down. Can’t even get permits for a month from now. Just a warning to anyone who might be making a trip down there in the next few weeks. I’m sure it will be fine after 2 or 3 weeks, but check before you go. The high mountains got close to 500mm of rain over the last couple days…[/quote]

Sheipa National Park/Yushan is closed too until further notice:

mountain.ysnp.gov.tw/chinese/New … 337&n=1001

Rough Translation:
Subject: Notice. With immediate effect as of June 12, 2012 there is a total ban on the park’s ecological protected areas and any park activities.
Reasons: Article 19 of the National Parks Act, the Disaster Prevention and Response Act.
Announcement:
The Central Weather Bureau issued a heavy rain report, with immediate effect since June 12, 2012, causing a total ban on park activities.
In accordance with the application to enter the provisions of Article 8 of the Yushan National Park ecological protected areas, control points should be repealed; its necessary to re-apply when you want to re-enter the area; After the lifting of the rain advisory, depending on the disaster recovery situation, park operations will resume normally.

主旨:公告自101年6月12日即時起全面禁止本園生態保護區之入園活動。
依據:國家公園法第十九條、災害防救法。
公告事項:
一、中央氣象局發布豪(大)雨特報,自101年6月12日即時起,全面禁止入園活動。
二、豪(大)雨特報停止入園期間,原已核發之入園許可證,依申請進入玉山國家公園生態保護區管制要點第八條之規定應予廢止;欲再進入本區時需重新申請;豪(大)雨特報解除後,視災害復原情形,恢復受理入園活動。

Bibliophile,

It would depend on what you would like to do. Looks like there are a few trails open now, and there might be fewer Chinese tour buses, but most of the trails are still closed. For a day trip it might be ok, but I would hold off for a couple weeks if it is possible.

Was just at the park headquarters today and most of the hikes are open. Zhuilu Old Road(youtube.com/watch?v=HJTNMsKruFg), the high exposure cliff walk hike, is only open to 5.3km. That includes the good part though. Still worth the trip.

High mountain trails are all open but some of the lower ones are not. Notably the Lotus Pond trail is still closed. Check out the website before you plan a trip, but it looks like the worst is over until the typhoon start!

Can you please post what present road conditions are like in the Gorge, and whether the river is clear and suitable for swimming in spots.

Also, can you recommend (with google map links) any spots that are nice to see isolated waterfalls south of Hualien-we’ll have a car so want to look around and hike in a little.

Thanks

Hi Kea,

Roads are in good condition from all accounts, although it is only open for 10 minutes ever hour on the half hour at swallows grotto, which can be a hassle if you hit it wrong. And be flexible with your time. It can get amazingly frustrating when the valley gets clogged with tour buses.

As for swimming the in Gorge itself, that is not something I would recommend. First, I’m pretty sure someone will report you pretty quick, and second it is very dangerous even when the water level is low. That being said, you can dip your toes in the main river at Wen Shan Hot Springs and if you walk for an hour up the Shakadang river valley there are some very beautiful pools that you can take a dip in without too much hassle. If you really want to swim I would say to go one valley south to San Zahn. That river is large enough for good, deep, accessible swimming holes.

As for waterfalls further south, I don’t really know. There are so many places within an hours drive of Hualien that I rarely explore rivers down that way. There is the Tongmen national forest area that is gorgeous, but has been discovered. You have to line up at 6am to be one of the 300 people a day they let in. I would suggest just driving south and exploring. The people of Hualien are amazingly friendly and if you ask them where there is a nice waterfall I’m sure they will give you some hints.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Have a great trip!

Thanks for your reply and good luck for your business.

Shakadang looks like a nice walk with pretty pools. And South of Hualien I found this:
theworldisnotthatbig.com/2011/08 … aterfalls/

Just an update from the East, Taroko Gorge hiking is closed again for at least a couple weeks. At least. The eye of that last storm was centered just north of the park when it hit the island and Taroko was washed out to say the least. Old classics like Sakadang have had walkways destroyed, and most of the other spots haven’t even had anyone go up and check them for damage, which is too bad because they just reopened Baiyang Waterfall last week. Check out this link: taroko.gov.tw/English/?mm=0&sm=0&page=3

If you were planning a trip to the gorge in the next couple of weeks, I would say to check out some other options. Still lots of places to river trace, thankfully. Let me know if I can answer any questions about local conditions over here.

Latest news from Hualien and Taroko Gorge National Park is not so good, but not the worst it could be.

Trails Closed For A Long Time
[ul][li]Shakadang- Wonderful easy trail, gone for at least 6 months, maybe more. Very damaged.[/li]
[li]Lotus Pond Trail- Has a suspension bridge down. Closed since July, no date for opening yet. Very damaged.[/li]
[li]Tunnel of Nine Turns- Already closed for a long time, will stay that way.[/li]
[li]Wenshan Hot Springs- This one makes me want to cry. Whole lower stairway area is washed away, rumour has it that even the chiseled out rock face was scoured away. I have no idea if/when they will attempt to repair it.[/li][/ul]

Trails Opened
[ul][li]Zhuilu Old Trail- Open to 3.1km!!! I was so surprised that this amazing cliff walk made it through! Will open officially in a day or two.[/li]
[li]Baiyang Trail- Also made it through the last typhoon, after opening again just weeks ago. Still the greatest easy route in Taroko.[/li]
[li]Lushui Heliu- Open and doing fine. Great easy hike.[/li][/ul]

The high mountain hikes are mostly open, except for Qilai Mt. Haven’t heard why. Overall pretty bad news, but not as bad as it could be. If anyone wants to know the local conditions, send a message and we will try to help out.

Happy Hiking,

-Hualien Outdoors

Thanks for the update. That is heartbreaking about Shakadang and Wenshan.

Wenshan Hot Springs are now open! So is Baiyang waterfall trail and most of the other hikes. The official website had them closed, then open, then closed but the reality is that they are open now. Wenshan’s guardrails have been cobbled together and the walkway repaired. There are now two little rapids/waterfalls where before there was only one, in the river in front of the hot spring cave. Other than that, it is just the same as before. I took some video down there the other day and I will try to post a link to it here.

Shakadang, however, is still a long ways off…

Also, if you would like to know about trail closures from the horse’s mouth, here is the park headquarters phone number for trail info: (03) 869-1466.

Happy Hiking!

-Hualien Outdoors

I’m thinking of going very soon. Thanks for the updates.

Go sometime, rather than very soon. It’s bloody miserable down here - has been for days.
Or at least check the weather forecast.

Hope to visit here and the Zhuilu Old Trail as well (the vertigo trail). Planned on getting bus from Hualien to Park entrance where you can arrange to be driven up by the nice chap at Rihan’s guesthouse http://rihang.wordpress.com/ and rent a bike from him so you can cycle down. Sound awesome :smiley:

Think i need a permit to get on the Zhuilu trail though…i think there was somewhere that organized this for you.

Yeah Rihang’s service is excellent. Used it last year on my birthday.

I can help you get a permit for the Zhuilu Old trail if you would like, or you can do it in person if you arrive at the headquarters before 10am on the day before the hike(or sooner). If you do it yourself you will need the details of a Taiwanese person for the permit.

If you want some help just fire off an email.

Have a good trip!

The gorge is closed till the 15th of August. They will let buses through on the 20th. If you are planning to visit the gorge, the 15th to 20th is the best time to go. You can actually get the place to yourself!

taroko.gov.tw/English/?mm=1& … =2&id=3288

River tracing is still a go however. I can’t wait to get into the rivers to see what happened!

How’s business going?

I’m not sure if this is the right thread, but I wonder if Walami Trail is still open? I’ve planned a visit on August 7 and hope it will be accessible. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Guy