Transferring foreign car insurance history to a Taiwanese one?

Is it easy or possible to transfer your car insurance claims history, from a foreign insurance company, to a Taiwanese one?

If so, is it worthwhile? What sort of reductions in premiums are we talking about?

What sort of ballpark figures for comprehensive car insurance should an expat expect? I’m above the daredevil or boy racer age bracket.

(EDIT: Just realized you’re asking for comprehensive not compulsory one)

Compulsory insurance is just above 1k NTD a year but it basically covers nothing except some medical bills so if you hit a Lambo you’re screwed :slight_smile:

I’ve recently bought a 3rd party insurance for the 1st time (after 7 years of YOLO driving and staying away from Lambos), paid around 8.5k a year and my insurance agent didn’t even ask me if I have driver licence… not to mention any insurance records :smiley:

I’m now also curious if I could get any reductions due to my spotless driving record, but I was generally happy with the insurance cost and was prepared to pay around 10k so I didn’t even bother to ask why no-one cares if I’m even allowed to drive in TW

My colleague paid around 30k for his brand new Altis and when I was considering to buy a new Kuga back in 2021 they’ve also quoted me around 30k a year for a full insurance

1 Like

Why would they care?! If you don’t have a valid license it’s on you, they void your cover and you get to pay any compensation out of your own pocket! No risk to them.

Yes I know but it still feels weird as back home they always ask for licence to calculate the discount or increase for novice drivers etc.

Is there even a safe drivers discount in taiwan? Rarely do people merge the words ‘safe’ and ‘driver’ into the same sentence.

I have a huge discount back in canada, but I get zero discount here. and I have been on a Taiwan license close to 20 years.

2 Likes

We got insurance to pay for something once and our premium went up, so there is that.

I don’t think foreign driving history would matter or that they would even care and insurance is fairly cheap and standardize compared to other countries.

I’m thinking my brand new Lexus IS250 like less than US$1,000 a year maybe around US$800 but not even enough to notice other than appearing to be really cheap.

1 Like

Are you buying a new car or used car or bringing one to taiwan?

yes, that is to be expected. However they were asking about discounts. The game is rigged, good to be aware of that and plan accordingly. I just get loads of liability and invest in cameras on cars for proof. then just dont drive shitty.

probably loads of cameras are the best insurance a person can have in Taiwan :stuck_out_tongue: