Transferring into a Taiwan bank account with a International Debit card.

Hello. I will be in Taiwan for April and was wondering if I can deposit money into my partners Taiwan bank account over the counter so we have easier access to money without the constant transaction fees/exchange rates. I will be using an Australian bank card. The fees over one month adds up and I’d rather not have it all in cash.

You can take out money at ATM like once a month to cover expenses. Once you have established your own bank account, transfer in one go to it.

I would not recommend putting a lot of money into another persons account, unless it is your spouse.
Beware of (romance) scams.

1 Like

I guess it depends how much money you’re talking about (and how much you trust your partner, if that’s an issue). There’s presumably a point where an unusually large cash deposit might raise flags, but if it’s just one month of spending money I’d be surprised if that’s sufficient.

It seems like they’re just visiting for one month and don’t intend to open their own account. Their card limit might necessitate multiple withdrawals too if they’re spending a month here (mine certainly would – no idea what typical withdrawal limits are in Australia).

It’s my spouse, we have joint accounts in Australia. Just trying to avoid unnecessary transaction fees from multiple withdrawals. Not a lot it would be under $5000. I think a clearer question would be as you can only withdraw $20000 TWD per withdrawal from an ATM at a time, what is the best way to withdraw more than that in one transaction?

Your spouse can just transfer/deposit the money to his/her own account here then, no?

2 Likes

use maicoin

Simply do a single transfer of funds to a local Taiwan account then withdraw from atm here. CBA does have transaction free for credit card usage but that won’t work where you need cash. Then you only have one international transaction fee. I use HSBC premier with global free transfers and no atm fee on HSBC Taiwan card here. But that requires Premier Account status.

Anyway if you do a TT to a local account then withdraw from same bank at an atm also no transaction fees.