Translate this neck tattoo

Kinda like some of the fortune cookie Chinese that sounds great in English but in Chinese sounds weird.

I have no idea what it means. It probably sounds semi good in (bad) English (love strong), but in Chinese it looks really weird.

Probably best to ask the guy what it means.

Or it probably means “me love you so much, me love you a long time”.

I don’t think anyone would want that guy loving them a long time. Get it over as quickly as possible, if it has to happen.

Could be something like that. Characters are horribly written. The first line could be mainlander slang Liu Mang, equivalent to “pervert” or similar but the dao doesn’t make much sense in terms of the slang. Perhaps it’s supposed to be Japanese or simply nonsense.

Guy looks married so I’m sure someone love him long time.

Failing that he could always go to the Philippines and be some girl’s sugar daddy.

I just zoomed in–holy cow those characters are incredibly ugly. I’m voting that the first three are a name transliteration like tempogain said.

1 Like

Maybe it’s some kind of modern art.

It says “Soy Sauce” :wink: (Larry Crowne, boring movie but one fun joke)

I thought I stumbled onto a webpage that glossed it as “Song Dynasty,” but now I can’t find the page, and besides, maybe someone was just associating the character with that dynasty.

This page, apparently for purposes of mnemonics, associates it with “a cup with pendants, a pennant, wild, barren, uncultivated,” and describes it–again, I guess for mnemonics–as a “baby 𠫓 hanging above a river .”

There’s a brief YouTube video animation that seems to associate the character with a fetus in the womb. The video seems innocent enough, but just to be on the safe side, I’m labeling the video linked here as not suitable for work, children, or mixed company: :nsfw: .

I’m gettin a sneakin suspicion that if just about every time I Google a given character, I get heavy-duty, scholarly, Chinese-character-studying webpages, I ain’t really gonna find out much about how that character is used in the language, and that may be because it ain’t used much in the language anymore–except maybe to form part of another character.

2 Likes

How did you get 民 from the pic? It’s obviously 武

You will not. It essentially isn’t used, so not a worry :slight_smile: Written Chinese is an amazing historical legacy, whatever else you think of it.

1 Like

This looks like Japanese to me.

I don’t speak it, but the first kanji 㐬 means wild or uncultivated, and the second kanji 武 is the adjective or adverb of war. The third kanji is blurry but it could be 道 which is the way.

Together it could mean “the martial way of the wild”.

And then of course the bottom two kanji are 愛 and 強 which mean love and strong.

Makes sense if it’s a kanji. Most kanji came to Japan from China in the Tang and Song dynasties.

2 Likes

Oh, I admire it–seriously. And if I ever get to a decent level of competence in using this beautiful but difficult language (fat chance of that ever happening), I can go skylarking through the relevant section(s) of the library looking for “quaint and curious hanzi of forgotten lore.”

But in the meantime, I need to get to where I can do a little bit more than order『兩個鮪魚蛋餅跟起司』at the breakfast shop (and my previous quote is probably not even the correct way to place that order). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those characters follow on to learning the Chinese for cholesterol as the next step. This then opens the door to recognizing all sorts of ‘kanji’ for pharmaceutical products for the treatment of hypertension and lowering of blood lipids.

2 Likes

Right, learning arcane characters won’t help you much with that :sweat_smile: Some form of listening practice is the way to go!

2 Likes