Translating Books/Pamphlets with G-Translate. Who owns what?

Okay, I’m interested in local history and am currently translating stuff for my own amusement and to share. But, I want to get the credits or attribute write… So…

1. For public domain or out of print stuff,
    Where I would be scanning in the graphics, reformatting and arranging the page, then pasting in and correcting the text, how would I attribute it?
    My guess is. . Translation by Google
    I would be editor?

2. I take photos of books or posters of copyrighted material with permission.
    I would be google translating it, reformatting it to fit my chosen layout.
    Would the credit be…
    Writers name, illustrator’s name, translation by Google, editor… me?
    We can discuss permissions or rights later.
    But this is mostly free to distribute or exhibit material (cards or signs explaining exhibits), if they like it, can I sell it to them?
    They would probably just extract my text and dump it in to my already created layout.
    What would I be selling? Google did 95 Percent of the work. Do I have to give Google a cut?

2 Likes

This conversation on Google’s support forums looks relevant:

Commercial purpose is allowed with a proper disclaimer. (Consult your legal console:)
e.g. : "The Document has been translated for your convenience using Google Translate. No automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from into any other language. Some content /text may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software. The official language governing this document is "

SOURCE:

https://support.google.com/translate/thread/66282454/google-translate-for-commercial-purposes?hl=en

1 Like

So, in short, I can use the work as part or almost all of my production as long as 8 post this credit/hell disclaimer or excuse in the acknowledgements page.
Still for free, I Guess

I believe translations are considered a “derivative work” and the author would still be the author. Don’t know what the laws are in Taiwan, but these are my opinions based on working in academic publishing:

I’m not sure you’d count as an “editor” from what you’ve described. Definitions probably vary, but I think you’d have to make more of a contribution to the text than passing something through Google translate, tidying up the result a bit, and altering the layout/formatting. It’s quite common in publishing that editing is done without being credited as an “editor”, and the last part is more of a typesetting/printing thing (usually credited in small writing somewhere in the front matter, but not as an “editor” on the front cover).

For most of the stuff I edit (some of it quite heavily, to the extent I’ve probably done more work to improve the text than at least some of the authors), I’m not credited as an editor and wouldn’t expect to be, but that’s the norm in academic publishing. Also:

Any permissions or rights would be up to the copyright holder to grant you, not for you to take then discuss with them later. I think your best bet would be asking for their explicit permission first.

These aren’t the same. Something being out of print doesn’t affect who owns the copyright, and you’d still need the copyright holder’s permission to reproduce it.

Doubt it.

Where are you intending to publish/distribute this stuff? Are you talking about posting things to the internet, or getting something printed?

I think this is just saying that you can use Google Translate for commercial purposes, but it’s not blanket permission to use it for other people’s work then publish it (Google can’t grant that permission, of course).

1 Like

You’re not thinking like a megacorporation (just sayin’).

1 Like

if the translation is done for a quoted part, permission from right holder may not be required in certain cases.

you get permission to take photos, but not to distribute?

COPYRIGHT ACT

Material sources: Flea bag tourist sites, small churches, town or private museums.

Main purpose: My own enjoyment and to maybe help my students understand their local history and heritage in English

To the best of my knowledge if it stays within my family, friends and student circle it’s considered fair use. The thing is, if I can’t understand it, I can’t enjoy it, so I’m providing my own translation.

I get myself invited to take pictures and show them what Google translate can do, but admittedly these are lower level people, receptionists, teachers etc.
I’m just experimenting now and haven’t completed something in form worth sharing. Desktop publishing, that is making things look good isn’t easy. At least with office.

My theory was once I produce something decent, I’ll just give it to them and ask permission to distribute it. My guess is most people in these rural places would be happy to have their foreign friends learn more about the culture.
Would Joe’s Hillbilly Society get angry at me if I presented an English translation of their 15th anniversary brochure?
I think I would be safe presenting one finished copy of their work for my original purpose, to use it.

Maybe I should craft a letter of intent?
There I would love the help of some Chinese speakers.