Transporting my 2 dogs to Portugal

I want to take my 2 westies when I go to Portugal to spend quite some time, but I am having trouble with the things needed to take them. According to what I saw, I cannot take them via HKG, so most of the airlines are therefore excluded. Also, because of the time it will take to arrive (1 - 2 stops, normally it takes 20 hours+), I think that we might be very well charged.

Has anyone experience with pet shippers?

Check with “Stray Dog” here on the forums, and can check with Animals Taiwan, or Taiwan SPCA, they should know someone, who does/can help you out.

Might have to transit indirectly through Canada,USA, if coming straight from asia, will be a problem.

I think the Singapore option is the way to go, but can you fly direct to Portugal?
You could consider Spain and drive over to Portugal.

Do keep us posted as I plan to take two cats to the UK at some stage and would like to know how you get on…

Good luck.

Thai allows dogs up to 10Kg in the cabin, but I have a problem with their sizes… My dogs are clearly below the 10KG, but, as svelte as they are, they are bigger than the maximum size that is allowed.

My wife found a spanish who took his dog from TW to Spain, and said it was a breeze, but then, he had a maltese…

Driving from Spain to Portugal is not an option cause it is still a lot of KM… and I would need someone to do the trip twice…

you can try Joseph Tsai: 0910 136 016. I’ve found him to be OK on some destinations and not so OK on others.

There is another pet shipper called Samuel, but I don’t have his contact details. If you call the international relocation companies based in Taiwan, they should be able to put you in touch with a pet shipper too.

Good luck!

Samuel works for Porsch International, contact +886 3 222 8178

Mr Boogie, did you find a solution to your problem?

I have sent many dogs abroad to different countries from Taiwan but never to Portugal, and am interested in the outcome of your situation.

From what I understand you need a blood test taken and sent to an approved non-biased country 3 months before travel. I usually use this website as a reference.
pettravel.com/immigration/Portugal.cfm

I know I’ve been gone a while…but you’ve forgotten me already Stray Dog! :cry:

I pet shipped my doggies myself (from Tw to UK), as I’m financially tight and a control freak and didn’t trust the advice I was getting from ‘shippers’.

If anyone wants any advice about shipping dogs from TW to Europe give me a shout and I’ll let you know what you need to do. Once you have it all worked out, a la moi!!, it’s ok.

Stray Dog you are off my creme egg donation list!

No!!! Let’s not do anything rash, now!

I didn’t think it would be the same, random, seeing as the UK has archaic quarantine and shipping laws compared to the rest of Europe.

But I can attest to all present that random is as good at shipping animals overseas as she is at supplying Creme Eggs. :lick:

Also, Honey’s Friends are very reputable, being heavily involved in animal-welfare work as well as pet shipping. :thumbsup:

Damage has been done Mr. S. Dog! :no-no:

Think as Portugal in the EU it’s the bascially the same, health cert, vet cert, rabies jab etc. See pdf. for info section 2

dgv.min-agricultura.pt/contr … Ingles.pdf

Then fly with an approved a carrier into one of these airports

ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveani … try_pt.pdf

[quote=“random”]I know I’ve been gone a while…but you’ve forgotten me already Stray Dog! :cry:

I pet shipped my doggies myself (from Tw to UK), as I’m financially tight and a control freak and didn’t trust the advice I was getting from ‘shippers’.

If anyone wants any advice about shipping dogs from TW to Europe give me a shout and I’ll let you know what you need to do. Once you have it all worked out, a la moi!!, it’s ok.

Stray Dog you are off my creme egg donation list![/quote]

Go ahead and run through the process.

I have cats to take to the UK sometime this year.

My wife just got the info from another internet site for taking pets to the UK, but a few confusions and things i’d like to clear up

1. according to the DEFRA website the pet must have been vacinated against rbies AFTER receiving the micochip and then wait 6months to travel

however according to http://www.pettravel.com since taiwan is a non-rabies country this is not required, instead just a blood test taken

I found that the blood test will cost 7000nt (sending to lab in Japan)

Which is correct? I have emailed the quaranteen office of the UK, but am a little nervous since we are due to leave in August

1. Transport fees - my wife also said that it costs 42,000nt for the transport of a single <5kg animal

WOW! thats more than a human - ist his correct or can you just take them as hand luggage, or if over 10kg as checked in baggage (even 5000nt/kg is cheaper!!!)

1. in case it applies, anyone know how much quatanteen in the UK costs per day/week?

[quote=“itakitez”]My wife just got the info from another internet site for taking pets to the UK, but a few confusions and things I’d like to clear up

1. according to the DEFRA website the pet must have been vacinated against rbies AFTER receiving the micochip and then wait 6months to travel

however according to http://www.pettravel.com since taiwan is a non-rabies country this is not required, instead just a blood test taken

I found that the blood test will cost 7000nt (sending to lab in Japan)

Which is correct? I have emailed the quaranteen office of the UK, but am a little nervous since we are due to leave in August

1. Transport fees - my wife also said that it costs 42,000nt for the transport of a single <5kg animal

WOW! thats more than a human - ist his correct or can you just take them as hand luggage, or if over 10kg as checked in baggage (even 5000nt/kg is cheaper!!!)

1. in case it applies, anyone know how much quatanteen in the UK costs per day/week?[/quote]

I am going through similar issues at the moment…i only can comment on your #2:
i went to the airport and i asked China Airlines frontdesk& extra baggage regarding transporting my GSD to the US: and they confirmed that sending a pet as extra piece of luggage which will cost roughly 3~4K NT$ depending on the size of the crate and weight…but if sending it as a pet cargo then it will indeed cost something like you mentioned

i will post any new info i get them…also please keep us informed on how it will go with you

Cheers!

Right,

phone DEFRA, they masically reiterated their pdf which i will sum here.

Option 1 - Full vacinations
Process

1. Install microchip (must be ISO 11784/5) and get rabies vaccine

2. Wait for vaccine to become effective and take blood

3. Blood sample is then sent to lab and once returned the pet is declared “rabies free” 6 months AFTER blood is taken “Ask your vet to read the microchip and to give you a signed record of the date the sample was taken that accurately shows your pet’s microchip number.”

4. At least 24hours, but not more than 48hrs before flight take to vet to administer an anti-parasite chemical against tick/tapeworm - the tapeworm treatment must contain praziquantel and be effective against “Echinococcus multilocularis”, “[T]he product used for the tick treatment must be licensed for use against ticks and have a marketing authorisation in the country of use.”

Costs
chip + vaccinate = 600 nt
blood sample = 7000 nt (better to send to US according to the vet we consulted with since he said Japan has long waiting lists)
tick/tapeworm treatment - unsure yet

Option 2 - Quaranteen
Process
Before flight arrange with a quranteen carrier and quaranteen office (all private, links on DEFRA website)
Get pet on board (I think they still need to receive the tick treatment, but unsure)
Once in country, you will not take your pet, but the carrying agent will transport the animal directly to the quaranteen place, after 6 months they will be released
The animal requires an “import licence” for this - so talk to quaranteen ppl

Quaranteen Costs
10 pounds per day, 30610 = GBP 1,800 per pet
Transport Charge = tba

Option 3 - Fast Track
Begin process in option 1, then take flight per option 2, however, once the 6 month wait AFTER taking blood has run, then the animal will be released

Costs
Per option 1, plus days quaranteen * GBP 10
Transport Charge = tba

Links - DEFRA
http://www.defra.gov.uk/

Factsheet for non-EU countries, note the "blue passport doesnt apply)
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/factsheet/factsheet4-091110.pdf

Approved Quaranteen Locales
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/quarantine/index.htm

Here is the e-mail I recevied from DEFRA, basically a rehash of the forgoing info - but clearly expressed

[quote]Option 1 - Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)

For an animal to enter (or return to) the UK as part of the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) and thus avoid quarantine, the following procedures must be carried out in the stated order:

1). Animal is micro-chipped, then

2). It is vaccinated against rabies, and then

3). A blood sample is taken and sent to a European Union (EU) approved laboratory for testing. If the required level of antibodies is reached, the animal may enter the UK 6 calendar months after the date that the sample was drawn, assuming that all other rules of the scheme are met.

Please note that steps 2 and 3 above must be carried out in a PETS listed country (of which Taiwan is one) and that your pets must remain within PETS listed countries. Entry into an unlisted country would mean your pets could no longer be deemed UK PETS compliant and all PETS preparations (with the exception of the microchip) would have to be started again, whilst in a listed country.

Further to this, pets must be treated against ticks and tapeworm not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before checking in with a PETS authorised carrier (on a PETS approved route), for the journey that brings your pets into the UK.

For further information on how to prepare your pets for export to the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), including documentary requirements and approved routes and carriers, please see the link below:

defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/p … owners.htm

Option 2 - Quarantine

Under the Rabies (Importation of Dogs, Cats and other Mammals) Order 1974 (as amended) all dogs, cats and other mammals must be licensed into quarantine for six months on arrival in the United Kingdom. The only exception is when animals enter under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) where they have to comply with all the requirements of the Scheme.

An import licence is required (from this Department) for dogs and cats not complying with PETS. We will not issue the licence until we have confirmation from your chosen quarantine premises and carrying agent that they will house and transport the animal on its arrival into the UK. You can find details of quarantine procedures and a list of authorised quarantine premises and carrying agents on the Defra website at defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/p … /index.htm .

Please note that all expenses in connection with the landing, transit, quarantine and vaccination of your animals are solely for agreement between you and the quarantine premises and carrying agent concerned. With regard to your specific question on the requirement to vaccinate and/or microchip this will be at the discretion of the quarantine premises chosen and will be based on the degree to which your pets have already been prepared for travel.

Option 3 - Combination of PETS and Quarantine (“Early Release”)

There is a third option that you may wish to consider which enables early release from Quarantine. To qualify for “Early Release” an animal must be fully qualified for PETS, except that the six months since the blood sample was drawn has not yet fully elapsed.

As an example (and providing all other rules of PETS are met), if a blood sample were drawn on 1st January 2010, an animal would qualify for entry into the UK as part of PETS on 30th June 2010. If you then brought the animal into the UK on 1st April 2010, it would enter quarantine normally, but would only remain there until the six months since the blood sample was drawn has elapsed, i.e. 30th June 2010. This is provided the animal has been prepared in the correct order for PETS.

[/quote]