Trapsing the Tonghou: Hike Sat Dec 14

Okay, quick last minute annoucement. We’ll meet at 9am at Muzha MRT station. We’ll drive to the Jiaoshi trail entrance. That’s Jiaoshi on the east coast. We’ll hike maybe to the end of the trail in Wulai, or maybe take a side branch and explore a bit. Either way we will return to the Jiaoshi end.

Expect a mild hike of 6 hours. Bring lots of water and a good lunch. Rain gear too as it may rain. In general an umbrella should be fine as the trail is wide and clear so you can use an umbrella on it.

I know Chris and Kate are in. If you plan to go please say so here as I can only take 5 in my car (4 after me).

After the hike we could go to a harbour for fresh seafood if you guys want.

Seafood!! :slight_smile:

Yeh…Fish is food; not friend. :smiley:

The back’s still causing me too much grief to allow my joining you for this hike, so I’ll see those of you I’m going to see on Sunday instead. Have fun on the trail!

Good grief, man, what did you do to the back? Are you seeing anyone it? Dr Mark, who advertizes on Fcom, is decent. Kitty’s traditional doctor is good too, especially one of her massagers.

Will talk to you tomorrow about meeting on Sunday. Take care.

I have finished packing. :smiley:

It seems I will have a cool and sunny day for hiking tomorrow, really looking forward to it after busy weekdays. It’s too bad that Omni and kage can’t attend this hiking event. I hope you two have a nice Saturday. :slight_smile:

Yes, I think we are going to be lucky with the weather.

Thanks Kate. I am jealous as heck, but I have other fun stuff lined up for the next while. Like house hunting (not yay) and a trip to see family (yay!).

Have a wonderful, wonderful hike!

(Omni - take care - you only get one back! I can sympathize; I have been debilitated by back problems before - not at all fun.)

Yeh…Fish is food; not friend. :smiley:[/quote]

Will you come Dasi after the hike? Please call me!

Yeh…Fish is food; not friend. :smiley:[/quote]

Will you come Dasi (Daxi) after the hike? Please call me![/quote]

Okay, as long as Chris and Kate are willing, I am.

We went hiking TongHou Hiking Trails yesterday which turned our to be an interesting quest of the hiking trail. We started it in Jiaoxi of Yilian, spent FEW time finding the trail. During the quest of the trail, we enjoyed several idyllic landscape. The afternoon was misty which brought serenity and solitude to me.

Here are some pictures

Six hours driving for two hours hiking. I do not like that ratio.

But the fish and conversation over dinner was great.

beautiful pictures, Kate!
I love the misty trees.

Too bad about the ratio, though. :frowning:

That’s the trail we biked on. We also had some mist, which protected us from the sun and saved us from dehydration and water shortage.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Six hours driving for two hours hiking. I do not like that ratio.
[/quote]
If you hike/bike Tonghou, you’ve gotta go through. That’s what gives you the sense of accomplishment and the bragging right of going from Yilan to Taipei.

Would have loved to. But it was much too late in the day by that point. Next time, now that we actually know where the trailhead is on the Yilan side. (Even the folks at the Jiaoxi Visitor Center had no idea.)

[quote=“kage”]beautiful pictures, Kate!
I love the misty trees.[/quote]

Thanks, I like misty mountains. :slight_smile:

The scenary resembles some styles of Chinese ink paintings. I wish my camera could create similar effects. It seems about time to buy a new one.

Instead of taking photos, I have an idea that going hiking in the woods and staying at some spots and painting the scenary I would see. The idea is not mature yet, I need to develop more thoughts about it.

Did you go hiking Huang Di Dian?

Yeah, I always thought those paintings were really fake looking :ohreally: (i.e. some poetic fantasy about what mountains “should” look like, according to Chinese painting style.). When I first started hiking here in Taiwan, I was blown away :shocker: - the mountains really DO look like the paintings! (at least in Taiwan they do). :bouncy: :heart: :yay:

[quote=“kate.lin”] Instead of taking photos, I have an idea that going hiking in the woods and staying at some spots and painting the scenery I would see. The idea is not mature yet, I need to develop more thoughts about it.[/quote] A fantasy of mine, too. Although I don’t have much artistic talent, nor do I apply myself to developing what little I was blessed with… maybe one day…

No, not after the wind warning and photo :astonished: MuchaMan posted. Another time.

kage, can you send me the photos from the hike? The files on flickr are too small so they appear a bit grainy on my blog.

done.
Have a Merry Christmas all of you!

Got them. Thanks.

And a Merry Christmas to you as well.