Travel time between Taichung and Yuanlin?

Based on the timetable for the Taiwan railway http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/English/e_index.aspx, it should only take 30 minutes or so to go between Yuanlin and Taichung. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I have been offered a position in Yuanlin and I would really like to take it, but I would also really like to know how easy/difficult it is to reach Taichung. I have found conflicting information, as well as very little information at all, about transit times. So someone who actually knows would really help me out.

Any information regarding utility of taking the train into Taichung, as well as regarding busses between the two cities would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Thirty minutes sounds right. I have friends who used to work in Yuanlin and go to Chinese school in Taichung and they managed it fine.

Thank you!

Did they ever tell you what they thought of Yuanlin?

I know it’s about 125,000 people, and not a very happening place. I know that it has nice weather. And now I know it could be practical to commute from Taichung. But I am really curious about impressions people have of the city. Especially the expat community there, as well as the amount of English spoken by the locals.

I really can’t find too much information about the city, and even less of it has been opinions, so anything would be nice.

I think they liked it.

My in-laws are from Yuanlin, and I probably spend two weeks a year there in total. Like most of small-town Taiwan, there is a small transient population of foreign teachers, but not really a “community” as such. From a Taiwanese perspective, the town is “convenient”, but to me it’s pretty dull. The general level of English among locals is not very advanced. Taichung is reasonably close for a weekend escape, and there are some decent cycling routes once you can get out of the (sub)urban chaos.

I appreciate your perspective. It sounds to be about what I imagined (but not worse! which I was kind of afraid of), so I feel pretty confident accepting the position. Thanks again!

The best web-based railway app is: railtw.appspot.com/

Just put in the format: Start End MM/DD, ex: 台中 員林 1/28

As you can see, travel times range from 26 to 44 minutes, depending on the type of train and time of day. Unfortunately, the Ziqiang trains only run once or twice an hour, so they may not be that useful. Also, bear in mind that trains in Taiwan frequently run late. If you’re taking the train regularly, expect delays up to 10 minutes on any given day, and don’t be surprised if it’s even a few minutes more than that.

I don’t know if you can use the Easycard at those stations, but I use Easycard going around up north and it gives a discount and saves waiting in line to buy tickets.

[quote=“kleigh”]Thank you!

Did they ever tell you what they thought of Yuanlin?

I know it’s about 125,000 people, and not a very happening place. I know that it has nice weather. And now I know it could be practical to commute from Taichung. But I am really curious about impressions people have of the city. Especially the expat community there, as well as the amount of English spoken by the locals.

I really can’t find too much information about the city, and even less of it has been opinions, so anything would be nice.[/quote]

We have a place in Yuanlin (rented out) and an office but live in Taichung. My GF travels both by car and Train daily and car is around 45 mins, train slighly less.
Depends where,in Taichung you depart from but from the HSR station on the 74 it would take approx 25/30 mins to Yuanlin.
Nearly all the Expats in Yuanlin are teaching I found.Mixture of Brits,South Africans ,Americans etc,. Friendly Town,not tidy,terrible driving skills! One or two good bars e.g. Hi relax which can be full of Expats sometimes .Once you meet a circle of friends it’s not a bad place and easy to navigate round at least (avoiding crazy scooter riders). Parking…anywhere,everywhere !

I travel around Taiwan a fair amount and yuanlin is one of the most unremarkable towns I have ever come across. I simply cannot remember any defining feature. I guess it is full of wailao and foreign wives. Even Changua or Chiayi city seem a whole lot better.
Well it does have that 30min train commute to Taichung as a redeeming feature, the thing is the area around the train station in Taichung is also a bit of a dump :slight_smile:

Fantastic info! Thanks everybody. It all helped me decide that I want the job, so I should be there in a month figuring it all out on my own!