šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Hand washing is important too. Touching oneā€™s face unthinkingly is a prime vector for transmission. Vaccination/mask/hand cleanliness. The axis of safety to get one thru any pandemic in one piece.

4 Likes

Iā€™m really sorry to hear the news about your daughter. It sounds like she was doing everything right and just got unlucky. Given her vaccination status, itā€™s unlikely sheā€™ll get really ill. I hope sheā€™ll be OK soon.

Guy

7 Likes

Indeed. Sending good vibes.

3 Likes

Singapore , now has eased travel with a pass from Taiwan and few other places with a new travel bubble

3 Likes

Glad wifey got back safely today via Japan airlines 787
Both flights first from jkt to Tokyo snd then Tokyo to sfo were full

But the international terminal was very empty
And the arrivals hall super quiet with about a tenth of the.Normal people so much so even the Starbucks little outlet there was shut

So lucky Japan didnā€™t stop transit

5 Likes

One of my students left for Palau this week with her two grown children and one of their spouses, to get vaccinated (I think their second dose?) I had no idea you could even do this. I asked if quarantine was required in Palau but she said no, they can go out and be tourists.

I didnā€™t ask her if quarantine was required coming back. We have our class next week (online) so I guess Iā€™ll get the details then.

2 Likes

A report from Formosa News:

Guy

2 Likes

I would lean toā€¦yes

I would have guessed noā€¦ itā€™s not much of a ā€œtravel bubbleā€ if you still have to quarantine upon return - it would just be called travel.

Possible answer: this (old?) article suggests they have a shorter 5-day quarantine which can be done at home:

1 Like

Could someone just briefly summarize for me what the current requirements are for entering the country? The English info on the CDC website is sooooo confusing, and my Chinese research and reading abilities arenā€™t quite up to that level (assuming the Chinese version is any clearer anyway).

I have an ARC and my wife is and ROC citizen/Taiwan resident. We would be coming from the US. My understanding is that we would have to:

1. Get a PCR test within three days of the flightā€™s scheduled departure.
  2. Do some kind of phone registration thing.
  3. Go to an official quarantine facility upon arrival, where we pay 2,000 NT per person per day and will be separated, while getting tested once or twice more.

Questions:

1. Is the above list correct and complete? One of the CDC things almost seemed like it was saying there was some kind of requirement to quarantine before your flight??
  2. They keep mentioning ā€œgroup quarantine facility or quarantine hotelā€. Whatā€™s the difference? Or is the latter not allowed anymore anyway?
  3. How do you eat while under self-paid quarantine? Does someone come and sell food to you?

Thanks for any help - really appreciate it.

1 Like

Need to use medical masks

2 Likes

Perhaps recent (re-)arrivals such as @Aikaili could help?

Guy

2 Likes

Book the quarantine hotel and flights. Finding combination of dates that both work is the main challenge though from the US there are more flights than some other regions.

• PCR covid test 3 days or later before departure. For United airlines you may be able to get away with antigen test as nobody in Taiwan was actually interested in this, only the airlines. Both EVA and CI require PCR test (my understanding at least)
  • Sign up for government health thing online 48 hours before departure. You need covid hotel information as well as flight information to do this. If you have Taiwan phone number it helps but its not required. Can be done in English.

Of course need to be eligible to enter which from your info you are.

2 Likes

@Geothelphusa @afterspivak @twnfinn My husband arrived tonight and it turns out we filled out the government online health form too early so he had to get in a line and wait for someone to assist.

The only other point is that you have two options coming from the US. You can go to the government quarantine for 2k per day per person. They decide where you go which freaks me out. You can also select a quarantine hotel for the price they offer. Taipei City Government-All-Quarantine Hotels FAQ

5 Likes

If transferring on the way back to Taiwan does the PCR test need to be done 3 days before the departure of the first flight or the flight that arrives in Taiwan? Does this get checked at the airport or is it for the airlines?

Thanks. Just to clarify, youā€™re saying that it can be hard to get a quarantine hotel booking for the same date as your flight? How does transportation to the hotel normally work? And how do you get food while under quarantine?

Thanks for confirming that those choices exist, and for the link! I donā€™t really worry about where they send me, but it looks like a few of the hotels are cheaper, which is key for us since we canā€™t really afford $2000 NT per day.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have time to find it right now, but Iā€™m pretty sure the answer to that question is in here somewhere:

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Category/QAPage/SbkmnM5v0OwdDMjJ2tI_xw

1 Like

Well just like you noted below. We ended up paying a lot more than we originally planned for because there simply wasnā€™t any good options. Our hotel told us they have to keep the room empty and sealed for days after we leave before it can be cleaned so that removes some more capacity also.

Though I think now that schools are started the situation might get a little easier as families on summer trips are out of the way for the most part.

As some forumosans may know, Hawaiā€™i requires a ten day quarantine for travellersā€”a requirement that can apparently be by-passed if one is vaccinated. Unfortunately, as this scamster discovered, ā€œMadernaā€ is not an accepted vaccine:

Guy

3 Likes