šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

My pal was coming from Europe, got his KLM flight cancelled twice.

Are Americans allowed to enter Taiwan yet on visitors visa?

No. Here are the latest entry restrictions from BOCA.

2 Likes

Can my parents enter if theyā€™re grandparents to a Taiwanese citizen (my daughter)?

2 Likes

I think youā€™ll need to make a special request, on humanitarian grounds.

I recall this has worked to get some non-A(P)RC holding spouses here. I also know this has worked with a parent of an ARC holder too, although I have not tried this myself.

Guy

3 Likes

Okay, well my mom does have a semi-serious autoimmune condition I could play up I supposeā€¦

1 Like

Are passengers not allowed to transit in Hong Kong to a third country? I thought they were allowed but saw a post from a guy struggling to get his wife back and praising Japan for being their only option.

Checked Hong Kong airport website but they only have new information on Quarantine requirements, not transit.

If itā€™s Cathay Pacific, here are the conditions for transiting in HKG:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_GB/covid-19/hong-kong-travel-restrictions.html

Guy

2 Likes

Thanks! Are the meals included in the price, or thatā€™s an extra charge or something?

Three meals a day are included but the quality of the meals really varies from what Iā€™ve seen, from hotel to hotel.

2 Likes

I heard last week the CDC were considering a 21 day quarantine after a few cases were found post quarantine? Has there been any update on this?

I believe thus far thereā€™s only been questions about a 21-day quarantine in press conferences, and responses that theyā€™ll consider it - so really, no sign (as of yet) that theyā€™ve got any plans to institute it. As far as Iā€™ve seen discussion of the 21 days has only started from the press side.

But thatā€™s based just on my memory of what Iā€™ve seen in English-language coverage.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the idea was already under consideration and itā€™s being made to look as if the press was the first to mention it. The government could be gauging the publicā€™s reaction before implementing it.

3 Likes

God I hope they donā€™t change it to 21 days. Iā€™ll be returning to Taiwan in mid October and have already booked a hotel, which is costly enough. 21 days would break the bank.

1 Like

I came off the flight from UK to Taiwan via Singapore and what a weird tripā€¦

UK Airport - duty free open, people walking around with no masks on, pcr test done in one day (unbelievable British efficiency)

Flight to SG - only 1 of 20 people on board. Just didnā€™t feel right but at least Iā€™m not fighting for the toilet. Having a mask on through the flight hurts my ears. How ppl do that for work everyday is beyond me.

SG Airport - had to be chaperoned to a transit pen. Hardly any duty free stores open. Canā€™t walk around and could only browse for food and shopping via whatsapp

TW Airport - all UK passengers had to be seperated and forms a multitude of forms to fill. In online. There was around 15 of us and we all had to stay together. Once we left an area, an army of people behind us would spray and clean the floor. Once out of the airport, straight into a taxi. All luggage and peopl had to be sprayed with disinfectant. Once at the hotel, one by one checkin.

In summary, I totally understand that we have to be safe and try and not spread the virus but I felt it was rather extreme for meā€¦ Anyway, glad to be in the hotel, mask off and watch crap TV for 15 days.

4 Likes

UK yesterday more 26000 Covid cases ,Taiwan so bad to you, you need a red carpet and be free from go anyware from the first day also without mask.

1 Like

Did he say that?

Actually, more like 30k cases a day :wink:

No need for red carpet, just less disinfectant would be great :+1:

1 Like

Good report. Welcome to Taiwan!

Yes you will notice (as you have already noticed) a somewhat different approach to viral transmission here.

The mask thing is a thing, and will be a thing for a while. When youā€™re out of quarantine, pick up some other surgical ones that fit better. After a while itā€™s like wearing socks.

Guy

1 Like

Cheers for that. I wear masks in UK everytime I go out so no worries on that. I was referring to the length of time and my experiences of wearing one for such a long time.

I remember my last visit here before the pandemic, masks were a thing already!