Traveling to Taiwan for Business

I have gone through every topic related to this but wanted to see if there has been any experience in traveling to Taiwan without this so-called special entry permit, and having the immigration officer let you in instead of doing the entry permit ahead of time.

“Taiwan’s current entry control measures for foreign nationals are based on their purpose of visit and do not supplant original visa treatment privileges. However, whether foreign nationals may visit Taiwan visa free or on a landing visa during the pandemic period will depend on the boarding regulations and policies adopted by individual airline companies. In addition, they must submit supporting documents upon arrival at the airport to an immigration officer of the Border Affairs Corps for inspection to determine whether they may enter Taiwan.”

I live near a TECO office but they never answer the phone. If I am just safer in getting the permit I will go ahead and do so, but the new update on going to Taiwan and just going to the border officer are just confusing and of course if that is the case then that will of course be easier.

If anyone is in Taiwan or went after 8/27 when they seemed to have changed the rule I would really appreciate your experience. Thanks.

Thanks,

NS

I don’t think an airline will issue you a boarding pass without seeing the special enter permit or appropriate Visa or entry documents.

I’ve had friends recently tried to get on a plane to Taiwan under just regular Visa expectations and the airline would not issue them a boarding pass.

But if one does, I have nothing else to add.

Maybe read through these recent press releases to get updated information.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/List/7tUXjTBf6paRvrhEl-mrPg

1 Like

From a policy perspective, @tango42’s view appears to match, but note the recommendation to obtain a special entry permit.

Q9. May foreign nationals originally eligible to visit Taiwan visa-free or on a landing visa for reasons other than tourism or social visits do so during the pandemic period, or do they need to apply for a special entry permit?

A:

Taiwan’s current entry control measures for foreign nationals are based on their purpose of visit and do not supplant original visa treatment privileges. However, whether foreign nationals may visit Taiwan visa free or on a landing visa during the pandemic period will depend on the boarding regulations and policies adopted by individual airline companies. In addition, they must submit supporting documents upon arrival at the airport to an immigration officer of the Border Affairs Corps for inspection to determine whether they may enter Taiwan.

If foreign nationals are unable to determine whether their supporting documents are complete or meet the conditions for border entry, it is recommended that they apply for an special entry permit at an ROC foreign mission before traveling to Taiwan.

Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China(Taiwan)-【Important Announcement】MOFA adjusts entry regulations for foreign nationals in response to worldwide efforts to resume economic activity and international exchanges following COVID-19 outbreak (updated on 7/23)

From a practical standpoint, quarantine hotel options with low day of arrival cancellation penalties may be difficult to find.

Edit: The special entry permit process turned out to be straightforward with turnaround within a week – simply submit a visa application with the supporting materials and applicable visa fees and note that the application is for a special entry permit.