Travelling from the mainland to Taiwan by boat

I’m going to sit the TOP-Huayu exam in Taiwan in May, and I was wondering what the cheapest way for me to get to Taiwan from Guangxi Province would be. More specifically, would it be possible or feasible for me to take a train to Xiamen, get a ferry from their to Kinmen and a domestic flight from there to Taipei?

Failing that, any tips on the most affordable way to fly from here to Taiwan?

Thanks. :notworthy:

Yes, you can do that, but it would be a bit if a hassle. I’ve only every gone as far as Kinmen from Xiamen. If you really wanted to save money you could also take the ferry from Kinmen to Taiwan.

Travelling from the mainland to Taiwan by boat?
The “Mainland” is Taiwan. Folks who live on Taiwan’s outlying islands refer to THIS island as the “Mainland”. I think you are refering to travel from China to Taiwan.
Welcome to Taiwan!

Why would it be a big hassle? I’m thinking of doing this trip this summer just to do something different. Can you show up in Kinmen and find a plane or boat to Taiwan within a few days for a decent value?

Has anyone made this trip recently, or know any blogs that talk about it?

A one-way flight from Jinmen to Taipei costs about NT$2,100.

I wouldn’t count on being able to catch that flight, unbooked, on a Sunday, since that’s when most of those taking a weekend trip return.

Here’s the latest on ferries from Taichung to Xiamen. New service just starting this month.
motc.gov.tw/mocwebGIP/wSite/ … e=207&mp=2

$2100 isn’t too bad. I assume it flies into Songshan and I am just a short MRT ride to home. Its certainly much better than those prices from Shanghai. I might take the boat from Kinmen to Taiwan, but a local told me that there was a news story about the boat being delayed and everybody had to endure a terrible ride on the rough seas. This will all be part of a much bigger trip. I’m gonna take a slow route from Singapore to Shanghai to Taiwan, possibly without flying.

Why would it be a big hassle? I’m thinking of doing this trip this summer just to do something different. Can you show up in Kinmen (Jinmen) and find a plane or boat to Taiwan within a few days for a decent value?

Has anyone made this trip recently, or know any blogs that talk about it?[/quote]

I said, “a bit”, of a hassle. Are you looking for transportation, or are you wanting to take a trip? If I were headed to an exam, I would want the simplest means. It’s lots of transfers and some waiting for a trip you can make with one booking. I also wonder all in, how much you really save.