Lois found me late in the evening last Tuesday. I was out walking Lucky and she just came to sniff at us. I assume she was dumped because she is expecting pups but that’s just an assumption based on her gentle disposition and good health which suggest that she hasn’t been a street dog for very long. Her nipples are still in rough shape from her previous litter. It’s at least her second litter back to back.
Lois is extremely friendly. She doesn’t bark much. I estimate her to be about 3-4 years old and she appears to have a clean bill of health. She is house trained and scooter trained.(See pic of her on my scooter below. If you sit on your scooter she’ll just hop on.) Not a leash puller in the least, she is quite gentle. Just a lovable animal, it’s a wonder what she was doing on the street. :s
I took her to the vet and asked to have the pregnancy terminated. It felt weird to tell you the truth. I’ve never had to make a decision like that for an animal. The vet said that because the pups are already pretty big, there are concerns for the mother’s health if she is to have the surgery. He’s saying that the bigger the pups, the more risks it involves. So I told him to wait, I needed to think it over. Lois is due in about 3-4 weeks according to the vet.
I’d like to not have a litter of potentially ill and ugly stray pups to add to the overpopulation problem(WE need homes for 8 pups as of now!) but I also hate to put the mother at risk.
Help me out please. I have to make a decision soon… Do you think I should put her through the surgery or not?