Tsai Ing-wen's PhD thesis

It is worse than that: they can actually open the doors to full escale China takeover.

Remember this? I had almost forgotten. How many weeks of riots against their own party? And these are the same bozos supporting Han:

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/world/asia/032000taiwan-election.html

I googled 蔔英ꖇ論ꖇꀎéŗ¼č²·ļ¼Ÿto find a place where I can download or purchase the dissertation.

Of course, all results are stories about her missing dissertation. Nobody cares about the actual substance of the dissertation.

So trashy, Taiwanese people. So trashy.

Iā€™m pretty sure they canā€™t because itā€™s missing. There arenā€™t digital copies available or anything. I donā€™t know if sheā€™s said whether she has a copy or not but you would think she would.

No, itā€™s up there now. They uploaded it after the controversy.

1 Like

Ahh, thanks. Iā€™m a day late and a dollar short as usual. In that case, whatā€™s the controversy? Now I mean.

The controversy is why it wasnā€™t up there in the first place, if she got her degree?

She uploaded it herself. The description states:

A photocopy of Ing-wen Tsaiā€™s personal copy of the original thesis presented to the Library in 2019.

lol. The controversy lives!

1 Like

This nonsense is such an embarrassment. Itā€™s the LSE for Christ sake.

1 Like

hasnā€™t it been answered?

Thatā€™s a bit cheap. Less than 1NT a word.

So sheā€™s going to sue the UNC-Charlotte professor? Good luck!

Yes.

A KMT internal document, called ā€œOperation Smear Ying,ā€ was leaked and revealed that KMT had been debating on whether or not to make a fuss with Tsaiā€™s dissertation. Those against doing so said the evidence is clear that thereā€™s no issue with Tsaiā€™s PhD degree, and creating a smear campaign might back fire on the KMT like when they generated fake news and alleged a scandal between Tsai and TaiMed back in 2012, and destroyed Taiwanā€™s biomed industry in the process.

Those for doubling down on the dissertation fake news also cited how they manipulated the TaiMed fake news, saying that as long as such their candidate gets elected, thatā€™s all that matters. In 2012, that got Ma elected, and even though the court ruled in Tsaiā€™s favor and generated a back lash against the KMT, people have already forgotten about it.

Just last night I saw someone claiming that he has read the dissertation. He concluded the obvious sign of forgery is that the text on most pages were justified, and there was no way to justify text back in 1983ā€¦ I had to give him a little history lesson on word processors.

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to obtain a copy or her dissertation now. Iā€™ve contacted the British library. Not because I think itā€™s faked, but I want to read it.

From the Taiwan News summary linked above:

[The ā€œOxford scholarā€] reported that there was no clear index and said it was very time-consuming to repeatedly flip back and forth between citations and their locations

This ā€œscholarā€ expects a dissertation to include an index? What a joke.

Guy

1 Like

Itā€™s best to include an index.

This is a relatively recent development that people have told me.

Disappointed. She should make the thesis openly available.

Dear nc47

The London School of Economics hold a copy of this thesis and it can be viewed in their Special Collections Reading Room. EThOS does not hold the full text.

Kind regards

Sue

To be honest, at this point in my life, if I could blast my thesis out of existence from cyberspace and hard copies, that would make me happier. At that time, I just wanted to get it over with and I am pretty sure I uploaded the wrong version into the system. In summary, using Marie Kondoā€™s system, it doesnā€™t bring me joy.

Hence, I understand why anyone would rather not wave copies of a thesis like pamphlets for the newest tea shop. Least of all our president who has been so criticized for minuscule details.

As to the existence of the paper itself, someone shared this:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/fang-test/TaiwanProgramme/Statements/Congratulations-to-Dr-Tsai-Ing-wen.aspx

And may I remind all present she was head of the delegation that negotiated the entry into the WTO, no easy feat. She had the knowledge, aside from the credentials.

Basically, this is a very common accusation here. As we have seen in the past, many politicians and celebrities here do inflate their credentials. We have met so many foreigners ourselves with forged degrees. I myself have had my degrees questioned, both local and international ones, in spite of having graduation pictures, certifications and such. Why? Because it is a very mean and hurtful insult, one that the ones who do not want to believe just belittle the affected, and no amount of evidence can convince them otherwise. You produce a physical copy and they say that can be forged. You show the seals and they say how can you be sure they are real. It is like showing your ID or passport and being questioned about it being fake. A real authority can tell the difference. Someone just looking to hurt you will deny the evidence.

So I can understand why the president does not reply to these charges. It is obvious that even with a time machine, they would refuse to believe. It is like the KMT repeating she is corrupt and will be imprisoned after leaving power. They just hate her and will find a way to make it so.

4 Likes

I would love to discuss Tsaiā€™s dissertation over some tea.