Tsai Ing-wen's PhD thesis

But I still want to see the evidence. Just like I enjoy seeing the evidence of other crack pot ideals, like the earth is round and vaccinations are safe :wink:

Substantive Discussion
Her abstract opens with “As the world economy is now facing structural changes and recession unprecedented since the 1930s, trade protectionism has begun to re-emerge.”

Apparently, there was a big recession going on in 1984.

Part I Chapter II

Her dissertation, sheds light on some of her policies.

Her speeches and debate performances mirror the way she wrote her dissertation—point-by-point.

Some here on Forumosa have decried that her minimum wage increases haven’t gone far enough, and for outrageously suggesting workers “go talk to your boss,” if they want a raise. In spite of being billed a progressive candidate, her economic POV appears to be quite non-interventionist.

As I mentioned in a previous post, her dissertation was written against the backdrop of steeply rising oil prices. The higher cost of energy will force countries to substitute labor for energy, giving an advantage to countries with cheaper labor. She argues:

The minimum wage makes wages “inflexible downwards.” She goes on to say that this causes unemployment problems for developed economies, which can be politically destablilizing. And unions make wages inflexible.

However, Tsai recognizes that this isn’t always the case, because societies might actually want higher wages and pay for it with unemployment.

However, if trade unions hold society hostage, she considers the possibility of using legislation to keep wages going down like they should!

Tsai appears to recognize that given the proportion of entrepreneurs that comprise Taiwanese society, too high a minimum wage would not be socially optimal; hence her measured response to stagnant wages in Taiwan.

Tsai’s views are in line with mainstream economic thought. Higher minimum wages are desirable, but they don’t come at no cost. Although I’ve heard that LSE is more left-wing than American schools, based on Tsai’s thesis, it isn’t by much.

There are many other interesting tidbits on trade theory, but I’m just looking digging for insight on Tsai’s policies.

1 Like

Not entirely. Hayek was an LSE academic.

1 Like

Yup. And then he went to Chicago, the most conservative school.

My point is that it has always had some prominent voices on the right as well.

Yeah I know.

I saw this floating around

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/luke-817-we-want-truth-taiwanese-presidents-fraudulent-phd-degree

I guess this petitioner is acknowledging the nation of Taiwan?

1 Like

That’s libelous. LSE had confirmed her PhD is legit.

Moreover, Tsai fabricated her PhD degree & doctoral thesis & claimed that she had received her PhD from London School of Economics & Political Science in 1984. Up till today, the University has refused to corroborate her claim.

4 Likes

http://www.lse.ac.uk/fang-test/TaiwanProgramme/Statements/Congratulations-to-Dr-Tsai-Ing-wen.aspx

This is the one where they reconfirm it after all the hassle they had.

3 Likes

I’m on this weird group that seems to believe it…

Is the shape of the Earth also in question within the group?
:wink: :earth_asia:

1 Like

Any forumosans wonder where the false allegations about President Tsai faking her dissertation came from?

Well, so did the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office, which earlier this month indicated Ho Jianghua (何建華), head of the Women’s Department of the China Unification Promotion Party. Here’s what they found:

Ho made frequent trips to China, where she received funding and other support, with her main liaison being the Beijing-based All-China Federation of Taiwan Compatriots, prosecutors said.

Ho’s bank records showed that she received 30,000 yuan (US$4,594) from China on Nov. 9 last year and soon afterward received messages from Chinese officials asking her to launch a disinformation campaign titled “President Tsai fabricated her doctorate,” prosecutors said.

Ho on Nov. 20 last year held a rally titled “People demand the truth, refuse the fake doctorate” in front of the Ministry of Education in Taipei and cited China-supplied material as evidence that Tsai did not write a dissertation or receive a doctoral degree from the London School of Economics and Political Science, prosecutors said.

Her claims came via Huang Xinyu (黃信瑜), deputy director of a Beijing-based organization of Taiwanese students and alumni, which is also affiliated with the Chinese government, they said.

Records show that Huang sent messages instructing Ho to maximize the impact of the false reports via social media with the aim to interfere in the presidential election, it says.

Source: https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2020/12/09/2003748387

Guy

10 Likes

Life in jail for treason!

Of course she’s probably living in Shanghai now

1 Like

Regardless of where the allegations came from, the strong arm tactics with regards to libel are giving Taiwan’s government/prosecution the optics of being authoritarian. In free societies, shouldn’t people be able to say whatever they want about any politician or person in power, as long as it doesn’t infringe on anyone’s safety?

Five years in prison?

Sounds like the DPP are doing what the KMT/Elmer Feng did against CSB in the 80s. :smile: :smile:

Reinforces in my eyes the DPP is the poor man’s KMT but both are brown and quasi-authoritarian.

Media personality charged with libel of president - Taipei Times

1 Like

Five years, fifth column. Which side are you on?

2 Likes

Free speech, no matter how idiotic some of the allegations may seem. Unfortunately laws such as this in Taiwan, the one year in jail for adultery, etc., correctly highlight the country as being a democratic work in progress. Many authoritarian undertones are still accepted, even championed, by the politicians in both the DPP and KMT.
Always liked Tsai but why get in the gutter? She should be telling prosecutors to ease off.

I’m always on the side of free speech. I also like to know who supports Taiwan, Could get dicey soon. Or even rambunctious.