Tsai's Biggest Accomplishments Thus Far

ASML makes all the machines that make advance ICs. If ASML is an American company, Trump’s trade war would have destroyed China.

Fine, I’ll rename the category to Social Equality. I think the LGBTQ+ community have been unfairly persecuted under the KMT dictatorship though.

I’m pretty sure TSMC, Intel and Samsung are investors, as well as customers, in ASML. They bankrolled EUV tech R&D a few years ago.

1 Like

I would also add that the tech giants aren’t just pumping in money, they’re creating good R&D jobs for college grads.

1 Like

They are also here because of Tsai’s plans for renewable energy.

This. If Taiwan can keep this up, the implications will be huge.

1 Like

You’re thinking of those European and Japanese companies investing in wind farms, taking advantage of the Strait’s being the windiest in the world.

I’m talking about AI.

And their largest Asian plant is in Taiwan. Suck it, Samsung.

Yup, right now they’re here because incomes in Taiwan are so low. But as you said, once they’re all here, they can’t leave.

Oh oh…that elusive “transitional justice”

Tsai’s priorities for her second term:

1. Sign an FTA with the united States. This requires tackling the beef and pork lobby.
  2. Joint the Cptpp. Japan supports us. Don’t mess it up.
  3. Build indigenous weaponry.

I can’t say for Apple or Microsoft, but Google and Facebook are here at least in part for the green energy plans.

Look at the Aquavoltaic link in my list, Google is actively promoting it in Taiwan. For them, they have set green energy goals for the future, and they need their data centers in Asia to use green energy as well to get them to their goals.

A little birdie told me Google Taiwan not so green after all. Don’t tell the hotshot American GM I said so

2 Likes

I know they are not using mostly green energy right now, but Tsai’s government is committed to putting down infrastructure to make it happen in the near future.

For Google’s site at Chuanghua, it’s offshore wind energy. For its Tainan site, it’s aquavoltaic.

I read that immediately after I responded to you. Interesting law allowing non-utilities companies to buy energy.

The bad news is, tourism revenue is still down, because the Chinese spent a lot more than Southeast Asians and Japanese/Koreans.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more of each dollar spent stays in Taiwan now than when the Chinese were here.

A nice bag from LV will greatly increase the tourism revenue, but not much of that bags price is going to stay in the local economy.

4 Likes

A lot of those hotels and operators were Chinese invested . No tears.
One that they genuinely struggle with a bit is the SE Asians and Japanese and Koreans seem to tend to stick to Taipei area more. In the end these tour operators in Taiwan have to put more effort into attracting tourists around the country.

3 Likes

On the books, yeah, but down for whom?

The Chinese tourists boom made money for Chinese funded hotel, restaurant, souvenir chains. Most of those revenue went straight back to China, while overcrowding pushed out customers for regular Taiwanese operations.

1 Like

I forgot to mention, the Changbin 100MW solar farm which is in operation this year also keeps Google’s Changbin data center running.

https://ieefa.org/taiwan-to-build-3-7gw-of-new-solar-generation-by-2021/

The premier also cited the recent long-term power purchase agreement signed by Google with several Taiwanese energy companies for power generated by a 10 MW solar array. “As can be seen from these developments, Taiwan’s solar power program contributes tangibly to domestic electricity supply and has earned recognition from the international community for its long-term green energy industry efforts,” Tseng-chang added.

Google Tainan also purchased a part of a larger solar array in Tainan.

In early 2019, we announced a long-term agreement to purchase the output of a 10-megawatt solar array (part of a larger solar farm) in Tainan City, Taiwan. The deal was a result of collaboration between Google, industry stakeholders, and the Taiwanese government.

We built this to be one of Asia’s most efficient and environmentally friendly data centers.

1 Like