TSMC announces US semiconductor fab plans (May 2020)

https://www.tsmc.com/tsmcdotcom/PRListingNewsAction.do?action=detail&language=E&newsid=THGOANPGTH

1 Like

But it hurts the feelings of Mainland Chinese, or something. /s

Fuck em.

2 Likes

See my :thread: in TP. This is the first step in the resurrection of Free China. USA! USA!

I bet this is bogus. I’ve got a fab in Arizona I want to sell you.

By 2024 Trump will be out of office.

1 Like

Also, I hate how Taiwan uses “talent” to mean a talented person.

1 Like

It’s common usage, at least in Asia.
A bit like my annoyance at the sudden emergence of the term ‘creatives’ .

2 Likes

I would rather hear ‘talents’ and ‘creatives’ than ‘netizens’.

1 Like

I think this announcement shocked at least a few people in tech. I know they’ve been talking about it for a while, but I think there was some doubt as to whether Taiwan would go ahead. Funny thing, watching the market on the morning when it was announced, TSMC’s stock price barely moved.

Financially, the deal is a small one that is almost certainly targeted to manufacturing for sensitive military/national security applications. It’s far more important symbolically.

The stock dropped because of the situation with Huawei, which could be financially meaningful.

I guess all they need to do is slap up a TSMC sign on a building somewhere in Arizona or wherever, and invite the media down there. Have a few people looking busy coming in and out. Promise delivered.

2 Likes

Is ‘netiquette’ still doing the rounds?

1 Like

Fabs are freaking expensive. How can it be profitable invest $12 billion just to manufacture a limited number of chips for F-35s?

Political profitability is different than financial profitability.

It’s not but they won’t be spending 12 billion either.

So you’re saying they’re lying? Thats what I’m saying too.

Exaggerating. That’s normal with the POTUS after all. Play the political game.

1 Like

Summary: Since Europe has no fabless design houses, who are you going to make chips for? US has NVidia, Qualcomm, and AMD.

Last month in Bangkok, TSMC founder Morris Chang, confirming a Wall Street Journal report, said the company planned to produce chips with advanced 3-nanometer technology in Arizona, in addition to the 5-nanometer chips that the factory is initially set to produce. TSMC said it has started on a second building that could serve as an additional chip factory but hasn’t made a final decision.

Biden in Arizona, seems also ASU (the Uni) helped too