TSMC’s U.S. Engineers Are “Babies” Say Taiwanese

Right, market leader because of their dominance in the low-mid end. and they’re just starting to try and compete with Qualcomm in the high end space. and their top chipsets are all based on arm designed cores and gpus, right? and even with Qualcomm not being as innovative as they used to be, they still design more of their own chips than mediatek, no? Their modems were also behind, but don’t know if that was based on their own designs or someone else’s.

Lunch I can see, but when would you have time to eat if you are working 16 hours a day?

You can work and eat at the same time to be fair. Especially if your work involves some reading

Local recruiters seem to believe this (along with a documented contract) is an ‘employment benefit’ rather than the bare minimum of an employment relationship. Posts on local job boards reflect that.

2 Likes

or …Taiwan, the last bastion of capitalism…?

Outsourcing manufacturing to Asian countries has always been based on low cost of production undergird by precarious worker rights, not skill. Talking of skills is double-speak for “getting more bang for my buck for less squeak from the underlings.”

1 Like

Why let a small matter as intellectual honesty get in the way of rationalising profit?

1 Like

Even 8-10 PM it gets packed

1 Like

People really walking out of the office to go home at the end of the workday with bags of ice?
As that’s the only time it could be done, yes? Or am I missing something?

No, he is playing long game. belittling the country that is literally trying to slowly steal the main importance Taiwan has, aside from geography. I think he knows this, as does probably everyone, and he is planting seeds for a time in the future (I assume after he passes away) when the US will once again hold Taiwan hostage and force their muscle to make Taiwan comply. if the seeds are planted early enough, it snowballs and better arguments can be made for Taiwan manufacture when the time comes the US chips need to be made in house, or by allies, or they wont buy them. or some other hypothetical fuck Taiwan scenario which has played on repeat for decades.

he is smart doing this.

but that doesnt change the fact that one calling Americans too dumb to be able to get there, essentially, is not a cheap jab and it isnt really true either I would argue. my bet is he is doing this to play the long game because he has loyalty to Taiwan. At least over the west. and he is probably smart enough to see how building chips there is a BAD fucking idea…for taiwan…

if the US holds us in an ultimatum fuck you over pork growth hormones, we should have gotten absolute legally binding paperwork for giving them our chip factories. its retard ti the fucking max. but understandably Taiwan feels desperation, and the US is obviously taking advantage of us. The cunts.

2 Likes

Can you explain? I have no idea what you mean, sorry

US also taking advantage of the gas pipeline to Germany sabotage, don’t worry you can bring your design engineering companies here to good old USA.
Behaving like old China, taking other countries skills.
USA’s puppet country Great Britain is also thought be involved in this.

“Taiwan has very little design talent, and TSMC has absolutely none.”
– TSMC founder Morris Chang

So is this statement by Morris Chang a lie, the truth, confused rambling? None of the above?

It’s a lie. The missing link isn’t talent it’s properly researched and tested design that Taiwan is lacking. Taiwan is bursting at the seams with talent and potential. It’s the organization and management that is piss poor

3 posts were split to a new topic: From TMSC

It’s the truth but it’s not cultural. US is a service-dominated economy. It’s no surprise they would dominate fabless design.

1 Like

Why would the founder of TSMC lie about the lack of design talent in Taiwan?

You’re right lie is the wrong word. More like causational fallacy and overgeneralization. He mis-attributes the lack of innovation to the designers rather than to the corporate structure/culture

My comments were based more on what he said about the US skillset. he is trying to play the game long term.

I dont know what’s in his head or his intent, so it would be hard to say he is intentionally telling lies. However saying Taiwan has no talent for design and US cant make chips is misleading. in exactly the right way to navigate trying to keep fans in Taiwan for as long as possible until the US is ready to flip the switch and make us either die or do it there.

If that is what he is doing, which it seems like, he is very smart to sow these seeds as early as possible. More (cheap jabs) to come I bet!

I thought you mentioned free ice being stolen

I think this “no design talent in Taiwan” view is skewed by counting only large TSMC customers.
Taiwan has a large share of fabless IC companies (worldwide 21% ) but, except Mediatek, they are all smaller size.
Taiwan has very little IDMs (foundry + design) unlike Korea.