TSMC’s U.S. Engineers Are “Babies” Say Taiwanese

I have full control in my company. My boss trusts and listens to me. You cannot expect people to put the fate of the company in your hands from the get go. They will trust you once you prove you are trustworthy. If they don’t leave and work somewhere else, there’s no shortage of high tech companies in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Of course not true on the global scale but it is miniscule compared to the US specifically.

1 Like

Taiwan is #2 in IC design behind the US, and accounts for 20% of the market. “Very little design talent” is greatly exaggerated.

1 Like

I’m waiting for his English autobiography. Hope it comes out before he kicks the bucket.

It was a trend kicked off by google, and it is only possible when your company has a large campus at your locale. You can be working for a large tech company, like mine, whose modem is pretty much in every premium smartphone, but not be on the main campus, and as a result not have any kind of cafeteria or food for free.

1 Like

They are very clearly cheap jabs. not factual statements.

2 Likes

Apologies. I get your point on wanting the book, but not following the quotes’ relevance.

That will soon change with Elon Musk in the reign…

1 Like

to be fair, that should be a standard job. do your thing, take care of yourself. Musk is a real peice. (autocorrect demands making this price, so I need a period…wtf) of shit for far more important reasons than expecting his employees to work the normal time slots and feed themselves.

fun fact. in Taiwan lunch is normally provided to labor jobs by the employer. generally lunch box. so we have that over the US. it helps justify the low wage is my guess.

2 Likes

Microsoft and google also have this but I think contractors can’t use it

Google Taiwan also provides free meal, even at their Changhua datacenter. Contractors used to be able to get a free meal, but they were caught sneaking bags full of takeout multiple times and were subsequently banned.

See: Lunchroom privileges in most companies, schools etc. A fun example of the reality of it shown in the movie: Employee of the Month

petty work environments are toxic. Be responsible, limit entitlement and be thankful for any perks like free food.

Fair. let the community self regulate. a good example is many places here with free ice, tissue, condiments etc being stolen by low class folks with no shame. they ruin it for everyone eventually.

1 Like

The founder of TSMC doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

Pertinent discussion starts about minute 31.

1 Like

That’s not what I said. I said they are cheap jabs. He knows exactly what he is doing, jabbing people. 1nt says he is playing the game. not so unlike trump (I am not comparing their intelligence).

1 Like

they produce mostly derivative or lower tech designs though, no?

Google broadened it and kicked it up a notch (maybe? I wouldn’t be surprised if yahoo had a lot of freebies), but subsidized cafeterias and exec dining had long been a thing.

So he’s lying?

That’s right. They’re tweakers.

Mediatek is the market leader.