TSU supporters = Football hooligans?

University of LTH brainwashing

University of Hawaii.

Lots of football supporters who abhor violence and would never get into a fight with the supporters of the other team may dress up in the colors of their team, or will even put on a bit of makeup in the colors of their team.

That people do that is not the same as they go out and beat the crap out of the other side’s supporters in best KMT/PFP fashion.

Also, I don’t recall any of the violent KMT/PFP rent-a-mobs painted in the KMT colors…

The reason for the post was to illustrate that it is not in ROC interest to protest the USA over the fact USA has warned us not to pursue name changing as CSB has been suggesting in on the campaign trail recently.

As much I as hate to admit it, ROC existence is based on the perception that the USA will use military force against the PRC when conflict arises over the Strait Issue.

Now I don’t see TSU supporters doing Taiwan any favors by agitating the private organization that represents the only military force in the region that can balance the PRC in our “status quo” situation.

Just like football hooligans sometimes fail to grasp that there is a greater society and the guy they are beating up is a father, son, or brother of someone. Or the car they are jumping on has not been paid off and belongs to someone. Or the cop is just doing his job. That their hedonistic pleasure actually might have serious non-reversible consequences.

Perhaps TSU supporters simply care about Taiwan more than you.

If I painted the Red, White, and Blue on my Adonis like chisel body, that made women weep in Italy, would that prove I love Taiwan.

Once again I’m just suggestion we must choose our battles wisely.

Pissing off the USA is not the way.

I don’t think that a handful of TSU supporters painting their bodies, and then driving aroudn Taipei in their jeeps have any influence on US policy toward Asia in general, or toward Taiwan in particular.

Honestly.

And all I was saying is that for some people this sort of behaviour helps them get their message across. At least they have passion in their beliefs. Whether I or you agree or disagree is irrelevant. If blue supporters did this I wouldnt care either. Freedom of expression isa llowed in Taiwan isnt it? Well… I know it never used to be, but it is now right?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Just like football hooligans sometimes fail to grasp that there is a greater society and the guy they are beating up is a father, son, or brother of someone. Or the car they are jumping on has not been paid off and belongs to someone. Or the cop is just doing his job. That their hedonistic pleasure actually might have serious non-reversible consequences.[/quote]

Just like pan-blues are uncooperative for the sake of being uncooperative in the legislature just to show up the greens without realizing that it might be in the best interests of the country to move forward on some reforms that ARE necessary…such as restructuring the ROC to focus on 23 million people instead of the hundreds of millions of pre-WWII China.

[quote=“Mr He”]I don’t think that a handful of TSU supporters painting their bodies, and then driving aroudn Taipei in their jeeps have any influence on US policy toward Asia in general, or toward Taiwan in particular.

Honestly.[/quote]
You never know, if this becomes a habit. All it takes is one AIT official to have a negative feeling about Taiwan, propagate that message up the command chain. Next thing you know Bush says, “You ungrated piece of snake in the grass, to the commies with you.”

There are more productive diplomatic ways to communicate their displeasure with the USA is all I’m suggesting.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
You never know, if this becomes a habit. All it takes is one AIT official to have a negative feeling about Taiwan, propagate that message up the command chain. Next thing you know Bush says, “You ungrated piece of snake in the grass, to the commies with you.”[/quote]

Disagree completely.

The US interests in the pacific are paramount to the personal feelings of a single AIT official.

also, we are discussing TSU body paint here, right?

Meanwhile in other news… education, tax reform, social services, health system reform, transport, financial system reform, water, sanitation, pensions, the police and criminal justice system…

Oops. Sorry. I didn’t read today’s TT. The big issue is still “Should we call Taiwan ‘Taiwan’”. Yawn. :unamused:

[quote=“tomtom taiwan”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
Just like football hooligans sometimes fail to grasp that there is a greater society and the guy they are beating up is a father, son, or brother of someone. Or the car they are jumping on has not been paid off and belongs to someone. Or the cop is just doing his job. That their hedonistic pleasure actually might have serious non-reversible consequences.[/quote]

Just like pan-blues are uncooperative for the sake of being uncooperative in the legislature just to show up the greens without realizing that it might be in the best interests of the country to move forward on some reforms that ARE necessary…such as restructuring the ROC to focus on 23 million people instead of the hundreds of millions of pre-WWII China.[/quote]

I won’t deny that there is partisanship on Taiwan. But some really do believe the pan-Green do not have the solution to the Strait Issue, and they act accordingly in the LY to block these measures that they feel will be harmful to Taiwan.

Not to mention the fact their constituents also feel the same. And I am just one of those constituents.

In regards to your specific point about the Constitutional reform, they threaten PRC; USA is not supporting us in this endeavor. DDP and TSU disagree on the degree to the changes needed. There are no details or specifics anywhere in the LY about the changes. Perhaps the pan-Blue side slowing down the process so that a real consensus can be made is not such a bad idea.

Perhaps our leadership on Taiwan should do a better job at framing these issues, instead of making them into sound bytes during campaigning.

Just like these TSU supporters should find better and more diplomatic ways to communicate their dissatisfaction with USA statement about name changing.

Democracy at work I guess. But it could be done better. It needs to be done better, if people are going to take us seriously.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
You never know, if this becomes a habit. All it takes is one AIT official to have a negative feeling about Taiwan, propagate that message up the command chain. Next thing you know Bush says, “You ungrated piece of snake in the grass, to the commies with you.”[/quote]

Disagree completely.

The US interests in the pacific are paramount to the personal feelings of a single AIT official.

also, we are discussing TSU body paint here, right?[/quote]

You know I think the people in Iraq were saying the same thing about Bush too. Best err on the side of caution as they say.

[quote=“hexuan”]Meanwhile in other news… education, tax reform, social services, health system reform, transport, financial system reform, water, sanitation, pensions, the police and criminal justice system…

Oops. Sorry. I didn’t read today’s TT. The big issue is still “Should we call Taiwan ‘Taiwan’”. Yawn. :unamused:[/quote]

Start another thread or four then. No one is stopping you

[url=Run the bl**dy country! already did[/url]. But the merge button isn’t back yet…

As for this current thread, I think Mr He already said it best:

[quote]I don’t think that a handful of TSU supporters painting their bodies, and then driving aroudn Taipei in their jeeps have any influence on US policy toward Asia in general, or toward Taiwan in particular.

Honestly.[/quote]

Ok, great, so why is he posting irrlevant comments in this thread?

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote=“Mr He”][quote=“ac_dropout”]

Disagree completely.

also, we are discussing TSU body paint here, right?[/quote]

You know I think the people in Iraq were saying the same thing about Bush too. Best err on the side of caution as they say.[/quote]

The difference in importance between a paper-pusher in the AIT, and a US president is rather large, I would venture to assume.

Get real. and stop jumping off topic.

I still haven’t seen you tell me in any satisfying manner what the similarity between a TSU supporter and a soccer hooligan is. Please, just answer this one and make my day.

Soccer? In Hawaii? You must be joking. Football at U of Hawaii.

If the irony of distinguishing between behaving foolishly at game with no lasting consequences and a real life with lasting consequences is lost on you, then the gravity of the situation also eludes you.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Soccer? In Hawaii? You must be joking. Football at U of Hawaii.

If the irony of distinguishing between behaving foolishly at game with no lasting consequences and a real life with lasting consequences is lost on you, then the gravity of the situation also eludes you.[/quote]

What’s grave about a couple of blokes dressing up in green, putting on a bit of body paint, and drive about in Taipei in a jeep?

Also, how is this supposed to change US policy toward the Asia-Pacific region?

You still haven’t answered the question properly. Give it your best shot - if you can.