Tucker Carlson and his feud with the NSA

1 Like

Let’s see what the investigation turns out.

By the way, something I forgot to mention before. Tucker reporting on his own story, confirms he is in fact, not a journalist of any size or shape. :books:

He definitely was not an unchallenged power…

Yes, Hungary is a democracy he got voted in fairly.

1 Like

If we’re determined to be technical, at surface level, yes.

If we’re looking at where it’s headed, no. It’s headed to authoritarianism, which is why Tucker visited, and touted it:

An international investigation by 17 media organisations found that the Hungarian government was among those who acquired the controversial spy software Pegasus from Israeli surveillance company NSO and used it to target a range of journalists, businessmen and activists. They included two journalists who worked for investigative news site Direkt36, known for its stories exposing high-level corruption and the Hungarian government’s deepening relationships with China and Russia.

In response to the revelations, Hungary’s journalist association demanded an immediate explanation from the Fidesz government. And Janos Stummer, of the formerly radical right Jobbik party and current chairman of the parliamentary committee on national security, described the scandal as Hungary’s Watergate.

“If Fidesz remains silent, it means they admit it,” Stummer said, while calling for an extraordinary parliamentary committee to investigate the case.

Another person reportedly targeted by the spyware was entrepreneur Zoltan Varga, one of the richest media moguls in Hungary and owner of Central Media Group, which publishes the government-critical news site 24.hu.

According to the reports, Varga organised a dinner in June 2018, two months after the last election, for fellow businessmen, most of whom were critical of Viktor Orban’s government. Two weeks after the dinner, a former employee with close ties to the government called Varga to warn him: “I know you hosted this dinner, it is really dangerous and you should not do things like that.”

In an earlier interview with Le Monde , Justice Minister Varga said it was a “provocation” to ask whether she would authorise the surveillance of a journalist, but said “there are so many dangers to the state everywhere”. Later, she requested the removal of the question and the answer.

Ah yes, the journalists/dissenters are criminals angle. Recently seen in HK.

Hungary is a democracy. Can you perhaps just include your key points. I do not have time to read all that, I need to work.

This isn’t a rebuttal to what I’ve pointed out, just saying this sentence over and over. But ok.

Hungary’s government is employing CCP enemy of the state, authoritarian tactics (spying on opposition and journalists, using the guise of them being potential criminals and threats to the state). Tucker Carlson is touting their government. You’re welcome.

Can you name me a government that does not spy on the opposition ? Norway?

I think if there’s a field of sheep, with mostly white, but some red and orange sheep, and one is wearing red and orange tinted glasses, all sheep look red and orange.

Summary: ‘Everything is authoritarian’ is not a productive exercise in critical thinking, in my humble opinion.

Nor is thinking absolutely nothing is authoritarian or tyrannical.

How can you possibly criticise others about critical thinking when virtually every post you make is driven by political bias? Critical thinking requires objectivity as a minimum starting point.

5 Likes

It was a,question not a statement. Can you answer it? If most countries do it then why get the ants in your panties if Hungary does it too?

Right, but I don’t see anyone saying that here.

I for one am encouraged by @mups new found interest in leaders spying on political opponents and citizens alike calling them authoritarian regimes engaging in CCP like behavior.

Although I might suggest using some Tik Toc like Ap called Pegasus is like methadone compared to Heroin when you look at the true masters of surveillance.

1 Like

It’s a statement of logic though.

You seem to be implying that every country ‘spies’ on the opposition. Correct me if I’m wrong.

If Tucker likes it, @mups hates it. It’s really that simple.

1 Like

I’m not criticizing anyone, I’m pointing out how one blanket perspective can blind one to reality.

But you’re attempting to criticize me with the typical generalities, good for you, this one-note song you sing. :sweat_smile:

This requires a special kind of myopia.

1 Like

It’s not newfound, reality is a recurring theme with me.

We can keep going connecting the dots with Carlson/Hungary, and CCP now, since you’re so into it. :sweat_smile:

“The Fudan University issue is about whether we will be a free nation,” city mayor Gergely Karácsony told the crowd, which was thousands strong. Protesters carried signs saying “Hungarian money for Hungarian universities” and “We will not be a colony”.

Pay attention to who is on CCP payrolls, and who is supporting them by proxy. :brain:

It was a show of strength that apparently alarmed the government. Overnight they pivoted position, to offer a referendum on the Chinese university, but said it would be held only after the general elections.

“This is a novel situation. It’s the first time that any Chinese investment has become a high-level political issue in Hungary,” said Péter Krekó, analyst at thinktank Political Capital. “The government seemed to be pretty committed to go along with this project, until it saw it could be an electoral issue.”

Sounds like something that happens in a democracy rather than an authoritarian state…