Tuna Fishing

First tuna of the 2021 season sells for NT$2M/~US$70,000 in Pingtung auction.

https://youtu.be/SrFAY2Sw4sA

2 Likes

It’s tuna season! Where’s the best place to buy fresh tuna? I miss living in Hawaii and eating tuna, mahi, or ono every day.

That seems…a lot. The video said NT$10k per kilo. How much does tuna normally cost?

Is it just because it’s the first one of the season, some kind of status thing for the restaurant?

2 Likes

Yep. Publicity.

1 Like

Fair enough. :thinking:

Not to brag, but I bought 8 tins of tuna two weeks ago in Costco for less than NT$600. That was my first tuna purchase of the season, and it seems I got a pretty good deal.

1 Like

A few years ago I caught a 30 kg yellowfin off Cape Town on light tackle. Took me nearly an hour to get it in the boat. I stupidly tried to slow down its runs by putting my thumb on the spool. Guess who had raw meat for a thumb. I couldn’t hold a drink after that. My arms were like jelly. Those dudes are :tent: ing strong.
They grow up to 180 kg. If I’d hooked one of those, I would have been in big trouble.

4 Likes

That’s blackfin tuna? One slice can go for several hundreds NT$ in a restaurant. Fatty, It just melts in your mouth.

1 Like